Paradrop/Night questions arising from Night of Nights

scottf2

ASL addict
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As mentioned in a previous thread, a friend and I are playing throught AP132 Night of Nights - a really interesting scenario and since neither of us have played night or paratroop landings before this, we're enjoying working through the rules but a few questions have come up... Greatly appreciate any assistance!

1) Board entry - E9.41 An unbroken unit may move one offboard hex per friendly MPh (regardless of terrain) until it reaches the "live" board edge where it must enter normally in its next MPh/APh. The offboard unit can advance in its APh only to enter the "live" board. So, for the unit pictured below, which landed two hexes away from board edge - in its first MPh it moves one hex closer... and then in its next MPh, can it enter for one MF (as in a normal offboard setup) and then continue with its movement, or does it have to enter for one MF, advance one hex in the APh, and wait until its NEXT (third) MPh to use its full MF allotment?
2) Related to the question above: Straying is NA for offboard units, but there's a Q&A that says that they're susceptible to straying once onboard. So in the example above, when does the unit make its first movement DR? And what happens if he strays back offboard? I don't see that listed in the rules of exceptions for where a unit won't stray, but I assume they would just stop at the board edge (or not stray at all if already on the edge and straying would send them off).

3) Paradrop question, not night related: E9.42 A Stick that fails its NTC automatically Deploys into its component HS [EXC: If a Stick contains a SMC/crew, those units are revealed at this time with/in place of any component HS]; one HS (and perhaps any accompanying SMC, determined by Random Selection if necessary) is moved to the next hex directly downwind, - the wording here confused us - I think we figured it out but want to double check: Squad with SMC fail their NTC - they split into a HS/SMC and HS - RS determines which of those two groups is revealed and moved downwind. Correct? Any other details we're missing?

4) For completeness sake, I'll post the question I asked in the other thread and got an answer for: Do "dropping" paratroopers (ie: still in parachute form) cause concealment loss (ie: if a unit does a concealment loss activity in their LOS)? - Answer: No, because they are not a Good Order ground unit.

We got through two turns last night and will be picking up today so I'm sure there'll be more questions!

Thanks a lot,
Scott

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
2) Related to the question above: Straying is NA for offboard units, but there's a Q&A that says that they're susceptible to straying once onboard. So in the example above, when does the unit make its first movement DR? And what happens if he strays back offboard? I don't see that listed in the rules of exceptions for where a unit won't stray, but I assume they would just stop at the board edge (or not stray at all if already on the edge and straying would send them off).
There is now errata as well (from ASL Journal 11):
E1.531: at the end, add “A unit/stack entering from offboard in the MPh need not make a Movement DR until it actually enters the board, at which time it becomes subject to all Straying rules.”.

E1.53 governs what happens when units are about to Stray offboard:
"If insufficient MF/MP are available to Stray at least one hex in the indicated direction without Double Time, Minimum Move, or ESB, or if the next Location to be entered by the Strayer would require climbing, traversing a stairwell, fording, scaling, swimming, moving closer to a Known enemy unit, or entering an Illuminated/non-enterable Location (including movement off the map) or entering a HE/WP FFE Blast Area or if it would be subject to a Known minefield (B28.45) attack, the Strayer instead becomes TI in its present Location."

scottf2

ASL addict
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Klas. I saw the errata for 1.531 but had missed the 1.53 errata- helpful!

But I'm still not sure about question one - where is the "live board edge" and what is the timing of entering the board? Any thoughts?