Panzerblitz update

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I sent this out to our retailer distributor list, thought I would post here as well.

John Alsen has been named the new Panzerblitz II designer after Bob O’Conner had to pull out for personal reasons. John does the development for GMTs GBACW games. He also did some editing on Streets of Stalingrad.

John is a tax preparer, so it's going to be a little slow ramping up, but with his development experience and the excellent recommendation from GMT we're more than glad to have him aboard.

Sincerely,

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well let's see, I like the game getting it's own forum (seems deserving).

I'm wondering, is there even any interest in extending thought to taking this to mean Panzerblitz Panzerleader AND Arab Israeli Wars?

If they are going to overhaul the design, might as well OVERHAUL the design eh.

I have not bought a new board game in so long, it would take a while to recall what decade I bought it in, in addition to what I actually bought (ASL doesn't count).

I have a VERY short list of board games though, that would make the cut if I was going to buy an update. Panzerblitz/Panzerleader is fighting Up Front for games I want updated the most.

In an era of complicated computer based wargames, some of us just want to be able to buy a humble solid well made classic.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi guys,

Been stuck in the ASL forum so long that I missed that PB had its own place. I'll ask the new developer to come in here at some point with an update.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From kdalton on the MMP update thread in the ASL forum:
Our first offering [of PanzerBlitz II] will be a Western Front historical module on an historical map, followed by a core module if successful.
Thought I'd put my curmudgeonly gripe here instead of buried in an ASL thread.

I don't have the attachment to PB/PL that some have (my first wargame would be War at Sea), in fact, I've never really played it. However...

PanzerBlitz's success rested on a number of things, not least being the first WWII tactical game that was worth a darn. It has always seemed to me that it's biggest downfall was being first, and therefore unable to learn from it's own mistakes the way PL and A-IW did. So to me, the 'obvious' thing to do first is re-release PanzerBlitz, with the lessons of 30+ years of extra wargame design experience thrown in.

Doing a historical module with a shared set of rules puts it in the same space as a lot of other games out there. It's certainly a popular idea, and certainly not a bad one. But the 'flexible' appoach taken by PB, PL, SL... is also a powerful one. And one that I think I'd rather see more of, considering that I can already get things in the other format.

Maybe now that MMP has finally delivered Dutch Trucks, they need to hear a new battlecry:
Geomorphic Mapboards! :clown:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The biggest drawback to PB and then PL and finally AIW was, they got better between products, but the earlier product gained nothing.

I WILL buy the re release if the counters look nice, and are consistent, the rules are kept as simple, but are uniform across the three games. I assume there will also be slightly better graphics for the boards too.

But I don't want it to be PB/PL/AIW in name only, due to so much being changed the name is pointless.

I still have PB and PL for good reason, they are STILL good wargames.

They are not the latest in 3dishness computer wargaming, and who cares.
They are not pre painted miniatures and who cares.

There is still room for a well made computer wargame, and I think there's a point to re releasing a proven wargame, made with a slight tune up.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
kdalton said:
I sent this out to our retailer distributor list, thought I would post here as well.
You ought to get an award for that avatar! :hurray:

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, per a quickie update I cross-posted for Brian Youse, we should be putting Panzerblitz up for preorder soon.

There is an MMP update thread here and some comments about the upcoming preorder schedule.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Keep us informed, there is life outside of ASL :)

dgk196

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you sure?

Hello

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but what is the address for the MMP site? The one I went to ( a couple of days ago ) did'nt look like it had been updated for almost a couple of years!

I'd like to find out the status of the PBII. I wish them success and hope they can bring out a game that lives up to the flexibility of the original! Its a tough job trying to improve such a popular game. It's got to be the game designers equivalent of a minefield, one wrong move and you are history!

It's probably getting the cart before horse, but is the PBII designed to be part of a modular system ( ala ASL )? I'd vote for it. The other is I hope you will consider selling counter sheets that unit specific ( i.e. a PzKpw V counter sheet, or a Rifle platoon sheet.... etc.) so that larger scenario's can be designed and played!

Dennis:D

Last edited:

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Dennis,

As far as I know it's not on the MMP site. The one you are probably referring to is this one: http://www.panzerblitz.org/.
It's one of the few I have found in my search.

EDIT: About the only place I seen it mentioned is in the MMP 2005 Summer Catalog

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Should I purchase

I have the opportunity to purchase both PL and PB.

They are used and the counters are stored in plastic bags.

Is it worth it to purchase these items?

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Depends on the price I think Kevin. Both games are used as you say, and the game while a classic, is likely not worth a lot of cash (I could be wrong).

But it's a solid game experience.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the opportunity to purchase both PL and PB.

They are used and the counters are stored in plastic bags.

Is it worth it to purchase these items?
If you want to play them it is.

The games are not hard to get. AH published a bazillion of them over many years. usually they go for $10-20.

Honus

Reaction score
How about AIW?

Are there Billions of them about as well?
That was my favorite of the system.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
AIW was a good design, and on a topic, that at the time was not over done either.

In my perfect game, they would merge all of PB and PL with AIW and give us the ultimate game experience.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The system had been fine tuned by AIW. The movement rates, overuns, firepower/range nad artillery rules all clicked very well. The guys I used to play PB/PL with used the modified rules in the older games becuse they made much more sense.