Panzer Campaigns (HPS) random tips/ideas

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Turn 17's Jump Map - I have the Corps organization semi sorted out - but I need to figure out where the HQ for the 57th Pz Korps went to - or if it has even arrived yet.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by trauth116
Turn 17's Jump Map - I have the Corps organization semi sorted out - but I need to figure out where the HQ for the 57th Pz Korps went to - or if it has even arrived yet.

You've got a few divisions in reserve?

Another tip for the new players would be to avoid combat at night unless already engaged as your units will gain fatigue during the night turns and if they already have accumulated quite a bit from combat, they will break.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I figure the stuff on the reinforcement track are the reserves -I will get another one up shortly - am at about turn 23 now --- am and in search and destroy mode -- find an enemy artillery unit -particularly in travel mode -then slam them with air.

Anyway the map is changing rapidly.

I got about 2600 points, 1600 before I captured the VP area in Mogilev. Basically I am killing Soviet units at a very rapid pace since I crossed the Dnepr.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by trauth116
I figure the stuff on the reinforcement track are the reserves -I will get another one up shortly - am at about turn 23 now --- am and in search and destroy mode -- find an enemy artillery unit -particularly in travel mode -then slam them with air.

Anyway the map is changing rapidly.

I got about 2600 points, 1600 before I captured the VP area in Mogilev. Basically I am killing Soviet units at a very rapid pace since I crossed the Dnepr.
Yeap same for me. It seems the game is depicting the mass of Soviets who either disrupt or break easily. I also employ the old doctrine of surrounding the divisions and killing them.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Most of my experience being in N44 -- that trying to encircle division is a good and efficeint way of destroying them - but in this game it looks like the stakes are a lot bigger.

It looks like you have to go for encircling Armies or multiple Corps groups. At any rate I have done jus that -- at the of next turn I will pop another jump map screen shot up - it will be 24 hours later in game terms.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

Turn 28 - Part of my situation is I am not entirely sure if some towns are Soviet supply sources.

It looks more spread out that it really is -- I basically tried to cover as many of the roads as possible.

Mogilev is isolated - and will fall on July 10th - depending how the air recon turns out I may go for the city in the East of my 46th Pz Korps ( the one near the farthest advance of my units).

The battle around Vitebsk will pick up - as infantry has arrived -and I have 2 Panzer divisions to smack into whatever is South of town - I'd been pounding whatever Isaw pretty regularly with artillery - and had managed to make the Soviets break off an attack there on the first couple of days of the game.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I found that the greatest amount of Soviet forces were around Vitebsk.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Aerial recon confirms that -- going to be a wild time up there ...

I have 2 fresh infantry divisions, with supporting corps level engineers and arty. 2 Panzer Divisions - and the next turn I expect to wipe out the remnants of a Corps North of the Dvina River.

In effect - although tired out - I will have 3 free motorized divisions, the Lehr motorized brigade, and an entire free panzer division on the river North and mostly East of Vitebsk - I need to be able to drive to the river - but I think I spotted the Soviet flank - and it is hanging as wide open as mine was.

In the very South - 1 more turn and Mogilev is going to be free of any Soviets.

And at Orsha- for some reason it appears that there are no Soviets to the East of town --- unfortunately for them - that is where I am with a Panzer Division.

I have lost about 11,000 but taken over 35,000.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My turn 29

As you can see, I've broken through in the South and central areas. The North is slower as more Russian units are here, but I've crosse two divisions behind the Russians and am in the process of destroying several divisions.

My losses are about 24,000 to 67,000 infantry
138 to 850 guns
534 to 1193 vehicles.

Should be in the mid map cities in a few turns now.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Forgot to count the guns- and at a different machine anyway atm.

I know I have killed off way more guns than they have of mine.

vehicles -- at the time of the last screen shot it was like 69 to 149 in Soviets' favor.

-however after one turn it is not 81 to 150 in the Soviets favor ( I never really made any contact with the Soviet tank forces - aside from spotting them in and around Vitebsk and Orsha and bombarding them with the arty I massed in those areas.

until turn 28... also - there is nothing up north now - I have some fatigued units - but they can be fatigued and still cut suppliy lines - I am going to move one mtr div to the heavey bridge farthest East in the North.

I had to move a Pz div north directly behind Orsha as the Soviets had some inf apparently on the way to relieve Orsha ... there are some Soviet units on the East Side of Orsha - but my arty is not set up yet - so I won't get a lot done up there. ... took that one VP city without any opposition in the South -- and am fixing to take out the South bank of the Dnepr.

Assaulting Vitebsk in the North - but that might not last too long -- might turn too bloody to contiune... however the 2 Pz Divs up that way have the Soviet flank and are slamming it good -- I foigure I need to freeze the river defenders -and I can cut them off by driving North to South behind them.

Pirimeister

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Just a :thumb:up for the running commentary you guys are posting. Keep up with it, so we, the "new kids on this block" can get some useful advice/ideas.

Being a TOAW fan since its inception, I feel a bit like "betraying my wife" the way I'm enjoying discovering PzC ;) but what's a guy supposed to do?

My only remark has to do with the zoom levels. I just wished those games had an extra 2D- zoom level, because the 2D normal one is still a bit too small, specialy if your used to the size of TOAW's counters...

Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
> I just wished those games had an extra 2D- zoom level, because the 2D normal one is still a bit too small, specialy if your used to the size of TOAW's counters...

Try switching to 3D with counters and you will get more detail on the counters themselves and closer view of the ground too. That is about all I can suggest I'm afraid.

Glenn

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well I got my speahead almost to Smolensk after a feverish drive east. At first I thought I would get no resistance only to have my recon unit drive right into a few divisions in and around Smolensk. Oh well, I guess I'll have to fight for that 5000 points victory hex.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I back doored Orsha and got the VP area and the entire East bank of the river -it was guarded by 2 AA units - otoh there is at least a Soviet infantry division on the road East - within probably 30 km. I am thinking I need to block the river crossings - and turn and face these guys.

I found loads of Soviets to the South of Mogilev - there has to be at least 2 Corps - probably more -

I expect the majority of my movement is going to occur in the North as I have loads of troops with free time - and no apparent opposition along the rivers. I expect to be able to cut off Vitebsk and destroy it -while moving Eastward. This game day will be pretty bloody - the reinforcements have slown to a trickle. (And are late to boot) . . .

-I er um owe DB some files in outr other email games - will get on it today I think.

-Maybe the name of this thread should probably be changed to dueling AARs - as we are playing the same game with the same side.

I suppose we ought to list the optional rules used -as I know my bud Danny uses a different set than I do normally.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My optional rules:

Fast AI
Manual Defensive Fire

The rest are pretty standard.

One more tip:

Try to avoid stacking too many units together. If a thick stack is located by aircrafts and/or artillery, they do some serious damage to the stack.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
On stacking -- vice versa -- see a stack especially if it has enemy artillery - or another high value target - say KVIs or T34s -- by all means go ahead and bomb it..

the only higher priority target for me is if I manage to catch an arty unit in tranport mode ... I managed to find 2 so far (granted in the space of 30 turns).

I think I need to print off the screen shot in order to list them all -although I noticed that I blew it - I wanted to do explicit supply - oh well - next time - too far into this one.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, if you find an enemy stack of several batallions, bombed the crap out of it. Nebelwerfer works great to disrupt and break those units. Keep your aircrafts for tanks, the heavies like trauth mentionned.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
There is also a sort of 'one two' punch that I have been able to pull off with the Panzer Divisions -- a Pz unit and a motorized/mech infantry unit generally can go one hex and sill be able to assault -- it has been possible to assault the same group - cause it to be battered and retreat - and then nail it again with a second group (depending on how you group your units) ... pretty devastating it seems.

It is getting close to another day break jump map shot - 3 more turns until it (well parts of 3 turns anyways).

If things were not moving so fast I might have time for a closer view -- but no guarantees.