Pacific War

Rince

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
I am planning on buying a game about the war in the Pacific.

Uncommon Valor or/and War in the Pacific by Matrix Games seem to be the best choice for the moment...

any comments about these games, and btw is there a demo anywhere?

Of course I'd be glad for every info I can get on the topic, thanks!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uncommon Valor is worth every penny. I have alot of fun with it. The A.I. is good and has a clean interface. I will warn you that like all Grigsby games; War in Russia, Pacific War, Second Front it's deep long and very replayable. Also be prepaired to spend some money on a ink cart. because the manual is huge, but not by Pacific War standards.

War in the Pacific won't be out for a while so Uncommon Valor is your only choice now.

I will buy War in the Pacific when it comes out also because Uncommon Valor showed me what can be accomlished with a war game of such scope.

Rince

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
thanks a lot, you just convinced me about my birthday present!

I have played the old Grigsby ones, so I know what you mean!

In fact, since I played Pacific War by ..Victory Games I think, I was looking for such a game in scope and detail for the computer...and as I read from your statement my dream may have come true!

I lack the time and space to put up the huge map...:( ...and I do regret it!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought it was SSI that first made Pacific War.
Matrix games really have done a good job of fixing that one up.

The only two games I care about right now is Uncommon Valor and Combat Mission 2. I'm going through the Grand Campign in U.V., and im still waiting for Combat Mission 2

Last edited:

Major Banned

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Matrix's remake of Pacific War is trash! I had to use Clorox to get the stench of it off of my hard drive. Nobody that has played it since the original version is touching it with a 10 meter ugly stick. Don't waste your time downloading it.

Tex

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I loved playing it back in the mid 80's, when it initially came out, and I thought I could recapture that magic by downloading the updated version. Gotta agree with Major Catastrophe. Thank God for the modern interface. To me it's unplayable.

Headshot

Reaction score
i have to agree with you both. PACIFIC WAR BLOWS! ah i havent played the original but the update is horrid. I'd rather play a SPWaW battle witht the 4 boats that you get in the whole game, blah!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I spent months back in 1995 learning Pacific War. It was the only game of its kind. But in a world where the interface is so streamlined. It just dosen't cut it. But I don't like people talking trash about Pacific War. That game paved the way for Uncommon Valor success. In the history of computer wargames Pacific War stands above all others in scope and database, and will only lose that honor when Grigsby an company releases War in the Pacific in 2003.

I can play it still even with the bad interface. And those who stick with it will find somthing special in Pacific War