Pacific mini series

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Watched the first two episodes Sunday, seems ok so far.

Was curious as to what others thought especially as compared to other military mini series such as Grant and Band of Brothers.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I should go back and watch again, I've seen enough clips on YouTube to convince me it's worth a repeat viewing. But on first run through, it seemed not as good as BoB (which was the consensus opinion of critics) only because it wasn't focusing on a single set of characters, but rather three main characters. Overall though it seemed faithful to the source material and did a creditable job of describing life in the Pacific as Marines and GIs at the time would have experienced it.

Grant seems like an odd comparison - I liked it a lot, but it was really a documentary rather than a mini-series.

But now that you mention it, both Grant and BoB had some very moving scenes. The German general saying goodbye to his men, and the last montage of Easy Company at the end of it were very emotional. Hearing about Grant's leniency to the Confederates at Appomattox and hearing how it was probably due to Grant's many experiences of failure, I also found very moving. I don't recall being moved anywhere nearly as much by anything in the Pacific. The postwar hunting trip maybe, but for me it didn't really compare.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I should go back and watch again, I've seen enough clips on YouTube to convince me it's worth a repeat viewing. But on first run through, it seemed not as good as BoB (which was the consensus opinion of critics) only because it wasn't focusing on a single set of characters, but rather three main characters. Overall though it seemed faithful to the source material and did a creditable job of describing life in the Pacific as Marines and GIs at the time would have experienced it.

Grant seems like an odd comparison - I liked it a lot, but it was really a documentary rather than a mini-series.

But now that you mention it, both Grant and BoB had some very moving scenes. The German general saying goodbye to his men, and the last montage of Easy Company at the end of it were very emotional. Hearing about Grant's leniency to the Confederates at Appomattox and hearing how it was probably due to Grant's many experiences of failure, I also found very moving. I don't recall being moved anywhere nearly as much by anything in the Pacific. The postwar hunting trip maybe, but for me it didn't really compare.
I also found the BoB scene with the German general very compelling. I don't recall seeing too many movies that portrayed a similar event.

Strangely enough the scene from Grant that sticks with me was not when he was a General. Rather it was him taking a load of firewood to sell and he encounters a comrade from the Mexican war. The humility of a man doing what was necessary to support his family and his forthright answer to his old acquaintance I found quite touching.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

You are probably correct about Grant being more of a documentary. Hadn't really considered that. Enjoyed it either way.
I really can't think of too many other military mini series.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
BoB and The Pacific are very good, imo. As Michael mentioned, BoB might have a slight edge over TP because of the characters. Battle scene wise i think they are even, although the cruelness shown in TP has more impact on the viewer as that of BoB.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Watched episodes 3 and 4. Ok but didn't grab me like BoB. Not sure why. 🤔

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Watched episodes 3 and 4. Ok but didn't grab me like BoB. Not sure why. 🤔
Leckie's book, "Helmet For My Pillow", was a much better representation than the series has depicted (of course, as an autobiography). I really felt the same way for Eugene Sledge's "With The Old Breed" but actually think the character development of Sledge in the series is the best of the three main characters depicted. Really too bad as John Basilone is really known as Mr. Marine, even today (ask any Marine).

As for the comparison between the two series there just isn't a good basis as Band Of Brothers spent an inordinate amount of time training the actors to act and think like WW-II paratroopers and the cast became a band of brothers in their own right. This facet shone through in the final production of the film. The production of the Pacific didn't have the same level of immersion for the actors and added to this fact it is the story of three distinct Marines only loosely connected by their experiences in the war. In essence there is a lack of flow to the series that I found with BoB.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Leckie's book, "Helmet For My Pillow", was a much better representation than the series has depicted (of course, as an autobiography). I really felt the same way for Eugene Sledge's "With The Old Breed" but actually think the character development of Sledge in the series is the best of the three main characters depicted. Really too bad as John Basilone is really known as Mr. Marine, even today (ask any Marine).

As for the comparison between the two series there just isn't a good basis as Band Of Brothers spent an inordinate amount of time training the actors to act and think like WW-II paratroopers and the cast became a band of brothers in their own right. This facet shone through in the final production of the film. The production of the Pacific didn't have the same level of immersion for the actors and added to this fact it is the story of three distinct Marines only loosely connected by their experiences in the war. In essence there is a lack of flow to the series that I found with BoB.
Wow!! You hit the nail on the head with that post Sir!! Facts, clarification and opinion all nicely put. I couldn't quite put my finger on why it was slightly disappointing but I think you are 100% correct. BoB cast seemed like a band of brothers. Action sequences in Pacific very good.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I think part of that is due to the fact that in BoB you follow the same group of guys throughout and they are in the same places at the same time. With TP you are following three main characters who are in different places at different times. That "disjointedness" certainly affects the flow of the series. I enjoyed them both.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Both are good watching. The books are also good reading.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've watched both series a few times. I definitely like BoB better and I'm a gyrene.

The production value was much stronger for BoB. They really wanted to make a remarkable series and I think they more than succeeded. I liked the Pacific series as well but not as much as BoB.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've watched both series a few times. I definitely like BoB better and I'm a gyrene.

The production value was much stronger for BoB. They really wanted to make a remarkable series and I think they more than succeeded. I liked the Pacific series as well but not as much as BoB.
Yes I was really expecting something special and it just didn't deliver. I've always admired the Corps so kind of disappointed the producers didn't do better for you guys.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Watched the Peleliu episodes. I was impressed with the LVTs, not an AFV expert but they looked authentic. I'm curious about the Japanese AFVs at the airfield. Were they authentic or good mock ups?
Good action scenes but still haven't made up my mind about the characters.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Watched the Peleliu episodes. I was impressed with the LVTs, not an AFV expert but they looked authentic. I'm curious about the Japanese AFVs at the airfield. Were they authentic or good mock ups?
Good action scenes but still haven't made up my mind about the characters.
Got to agree, darn good VISMODS (visual modification) if that's what they were. I can't imagine there are too many working actual Japanese tanks around, but one never knows. I hope one doesn't take my evaluation wrong, I do not think the series is poor but simply not as engaging overall as BoB because of the immersion factor. IMHO Sledge is the most engaging character in the series though a pretty noticeable attempt is to make Leckie the "bridge" character to pull the story-line together.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would bet the HA-GOs in The Pacific were computer generated.
Which makes all kinds of opportunities to remake older movies with the correct vehicles...