Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Unless specifically stated either by scenario SSR or by a CG/pack specific general rule then there should be nothing preventing HS combining. That is regardless of whether a scenario card has enough HS to man your MMG/HMG. From memory HoB had a generalised rule that only 127/228 crews could man certain SW (including MMG/HMG) in some of their packs but absent that no limitations on recombination.

In recent years I have seen one or maybe two scenarios where some SW could only be manned by the supplied HS, fair enough, but if you were unlucky to X out a pair of SW there was nothing preventing you from combining the now unemployed HS, as best as I can remember.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unless specifically stated either by scenario SSR or by a CG/pack specific general rule then there should be nothing preventing HS combining. That is regardless of whether a scenario card has enough HS to man your MMG/HMG. From memory HoB had a generalised rule that only 127/228 crews could man certain SW (including MMG/HMG) in some of their packs but absent that no limitations on recombination.

In recent years I have seen one or maybe two scenarios where some SW could only be manned by the supplied HS, fair enough, but if you were unlucky to X out a pair of SW there was nothing preventing you from combining the now unemployed HS, as best as I can remember.
The one very clear and massive example seen in ASL of a Cg SSR preventing recombining of HS is in Blood Reef: Tarawa and the 2-4-8s that MUST possess the SWs and cannot ever recombine by CG SSR. And those SWs can ONLY enter the map in possession of the 2-4-8 HSs. If the SWs become unpossessed on any OCEAN or beach hex, the SWs are immediately eliminated. (as in those locations, due to the Seaborne Assault and Fanaticism, the 2-4-8 HSs cannot break at all but CR instead to elimination.) The 2-4-8 with the SW must survive to be stacked with another infantry unit, on a beach, pier or hinterland hex, and then transfer the SW if anyone but the 2-4-8 is ever going to man it.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I told Steve that he had to use 237s for his nine MGs. Game started today in a limited fashion. End of my thread. Tim