Ozerekya Breakout.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are about to start a new campaign game. We have switched sides. Adding a new experienced ASL player named Steve to help Lt. Col. Smith take charge of the Axis forces. But before the game starts, we just thought of a question. All unkilled onboard units come back into the next session, but what about an Axis ART module? Does that return along with the offboard observer? Do aircraft return? Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
All unkilled onboard units come back into the next session, but what about an Axis ART module? Does that return along with the offboard observer? Do aircraft return?
That will depend on the CG's rules. Most CGs allow OBA to return if it hasn't put down an FFE in the previous scenario. In most (and perhaps all) CGs aircraft purchases can only be used in one CG date.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can anyone who has played this campaign game confirm JR 's coment about aircraft not returning in the next session? I thought that non downed aircraft returned the next session while ART modules did not extend into the next session. Just a quess, however. Aircraft and ART with an offboard observer are so powerful in ASL that JR's conclusions seem logical. Tim

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Aircraft are one use but the observation plane is retained as long as the OBA module is retained reinforcement note o.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have not yet completed the first Soviet turn, but things have started very well. Only thing moved so far is a Stuart tank with a 527 rider, but what a ride. The naval OBA half-squaded a Rumanian 347, and began the start of a fire in the center. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All six Stuarts began offboard on the road. All with Soviet 628 engineers on them except the first bait tank which had a 527 rider. The first tank charged down the road. On the bridge the CE tank with a 9-1 leader was struck by 11 factors by a stack of two Rumanian 347 infantry with a 9-1 leader and a HMG. The 527 breaks but survives the bail off MC. The foolhearty 9-1 armor leader shruggs off a pin check. The the tank commander Don buttons up, decends into the Adjacent small stream, and stops near the wooded foxhole, opening up with MG bounding fire, a six plus 2 shot. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don asks me to roll. A DR of 3!! A one moral check. The 9-1 leader breaks. The first squad breaks. The second squad breaks. An auspicious start. The best Romanian leader and two 347s are doomed to surrender in the rout phase. One aspect of the Romanian set up that made me apprehensive about the road is a 2-5-7 fortification set up with a LOS to the bridge, but it likely has a MGs rather than an 37L AT gun in it. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should have said shallow stream rather than gully in my previous post. Vinnie, I agree. In the first campaign game however, the tanks did not rule. The airanes ruled. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We purchased two airplanes groups for the Soviets, just as Col. Smith did in the first game. Likewise the Rumanians purchased one group. Hopefully, we do better than poor 'Uncle Bill' did the first game. Rolled 1s twice, while we rolled a 6!

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don and I were looking over the transition rules between sessions. There are battlefield promotions ranging from three units to one unit, depending upon a dr and number of enemy units killed or captured. I was wondering if this included making units fanatic. I think not, but just asking. Don suggested that we take leadership improvements. I agreed with him. Make our 9-1 a 9-2, and one of our 8-1s a 9-1. Or an 8-0 an 8-1. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rest of the first turn was eventful to say the least. The 4 residual on the bridge was a problem for our riders and we decided to risk bogging and immobilization rather that have our Soviet combat engineer risk a double break caused by a 4 plus 0 residual. We took two tanks into the stream hex at G32 and passed both bog checks while exiting on the other side of the hex. We bypassed G30 and dropped off an engineer there..and another in G31 with the second tank. We held our collective breaths when the yet as unknown Rumanian units in the pillbox did not shot our 628 rider with a flamethrower in H33. We knew that if shot was not taken in that hex there was nothing to prevent our cutting off the rout route of the broken units in the foxhole in K30. But in order to cut them off we also needed to get to hex J31 with a Stuart, so we risked imobb. by using a MP of excess speed to get there. No 12 roll. Then the climax of the turn saw us go straight up the road to hex H28 with a Stuart. Steve's ATR in the pillbox opens up, rolls snake-eyes! Critical hit- less than 6 rolled-death to Stuart, but crew survives. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
No 12 roll.
Although the American ESB # is zero, you also add the MP gained as a DRM (FRD unless red MP). Unless the gained only ½ MP, there would be a minimum +1 DRM for ESB, i.e. the immobilization DR is usually at least an 11, and it may be lower if more MP were gained.

JR

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, I did not do the calculations, but I will go and look at how that they are done. There was one MP extra. Thanks. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, Please explain further how the calculations for ESB are done so as to get the 11 breakdown number for one extra MP. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks JR, This had confused us old men. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Please explain further how the calculations for ESB are done so as to get the 11 breakdown number for one extra MP.
Per D2.5 there is an extra +1 DRM on the ESB DR for every extra MP sought. The DRM is FRD unless the unit has its MP allotment printed in red. It is possible to have a zero DRM if the vehicle attempts to gain < 1 MP and has a black MP allotment, but it is fairly rare that a vehicle needs less than one MP. In practice perhaps the most common case is requesting one MP to stop, knowing that the position is a good one and that even if immobilized the vehicle will be useful.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The second Russian turn was suspended half way through it because Steve was starting a new job. Col. Smith was tending to his wife and could not be there. The prior Rumanian turn was uneventful except that Steve pushed his 37L AT gun forward unexpectedly. This move actually helped him as while this AT gun had hit but not affected a Stuart going up the road on the first turn, all of our tanks were now out of his LOS because they were in the stream bed. His movement forward into open ground worked remarkedly well as it prevented our leader and three 527s from moving as a stack across open ground. This delayed their reinforcement of the 328s who had captured the Russian prisoners. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
During the rally phase, I rolls for air support but none arrived. We greatly fear the possibility of Rumanian air next turn.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We finished all infantry movement on second turn but have four of the five tanks yet to move. We broke and degraded a 347 to a 336 that had been in a pillbox directly on the road leading to his first pillbox. We plan to move one of the Stuarts forward into the LOS of the ATR in order to force its surrender. ASL is akin to backgammon in that you take small chances in order to advance your winning chances. As long as you stay out of within 2 hexes, the threat of a Romanian ATR to a Soviet Stuart is minimal. Prisoners in this campaign game are one and a half times the VP of dead enemy units, and twenty points of them are a minus one on the intersession roll for new TM points. Tim