Ozerekya Breakout (OzB) CG

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The rules for both the Soviets and Rumanians have a limited number of regular infantry companies the TP points may purchase before there is a penalty imposed for purchase over a certain number of such companies. The result, for instance, is a plus two on the chart for type of unit purchased randomly. This not only dramatically increases the chances for 336 conscripts but also nearly eliminates the possibility of elite 458/447 MMCs. My question was if the on start non purchase units affects the number that can be purchased before aforesaid penalties go into effect? Tim
No they do not - this is for purchased units only.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, for your insight. It seemed logical that they did not count.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nebel, Does your reply state that both onboard and "requisted" units on first turn do not count or does it state that only the former do not count?

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The reinforcement group table notes the modifiers apply to requisitioned units with no language to exclude the TM1 units. It says requisitioned not OOB given so those don't count...

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another question: German ART cannot be purchased until the arrival of the German units. Seems elementary, but I was asked to ask. Another question: are the red ART chits put back into the chit stack right away?

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another question: German ART cannot be purchased until the arrival of the German units. Seems elementary, but I was asked to ask. Another question: are the red ART chits put back into the chit stack right away?
If you are referring to rule C1.3 then the answer is 'yes'. And you add another red chit too. This is basically the "Pleva rule" for OBA. If 'never' goes away, but it gets harder to gain access when you draw a red chit.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had seen reference to this rule before, but never found an explanation of what it was. I think it sounds fairer than the normal system where two reds end your ART ration. Always seems to happen to me. Tim

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had seen reference to this rule before, but never found an explanation of what it was. I think it sounds fairer than the normal system where two reds end your ART ration. Always seems to happen to me. Tim
Yeah I prefer the Pleva rule too. Though unless it is designed into the scenario, I feel it's worth examining if it would affect scenario balance at all (usually it helps IMHO). I'm glad George decided to incorporate it into most of his products.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My friend Don is reading the rules. He asked me what happens to broken units between the eight sessions? I understand each hero battle hardens a MMC.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks George. My friend Don Deibler is well read on the many Soviet attempts to use invasions in the Black Sea. They almost always ended in failure. Even in 1944, the Soviet Navy was unable to sustain a naval assault there. Mainly due to German and Rumanian air power. He thinks that your campaign game represents well their difficulties in their various invasions. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am umpire in our campaign game, at least until the Germans arrive. Does anyone recommend the introduction of fog of war rules? That both sides keep their TP purchases secret, for instance. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have never played a campaign game before. This is a unique naval invasion game in that the Russian player is going in somewhat blind. The naval bombardment is planned before he sees the Axis setup. I assume that normal ASL rules apply. (The German commander has the rules, and I cannot see the instructions.) The Russian set up off board and place their counters on an imaginary hex grid. Does the Russian player see the Axis position before he sets up his off board position like in a normal ASL scenario? Tim

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks like from reading the other after action report that the Russian set up on board. Sorry for the stupid questions. I wish I had a copy of the rules, which I have to the Axis player.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, my partner in this campaign game is convinced that the Russians enter from off board. I will do this as a yes or no question. Do the standard ASL rules apply for off board entrance; that is, concealment is free for Axis units and any additional concealment counters are purchased? Yes or no? Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Additional question: The American Lend Lease 105s. Do they have movers, or must they be pushed by their crews across the start line?

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Diebler has agreed to come out from the shadows. He is coming back to ASL after a 30 year lull in the storm. He bought but never played up to the Japanese first edition. He is extremely well read on Soviet Naval operations in the Black Sea. He just explained on the phone that in 1944 the Soviet Navy attempted to invade Romania. All three attempts failed! Weather, mines, and air power thwarted all three in succession.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George, Thanks for responding. I guess in his dotage Don cannot read. I must admit that in the last decade my reading comprehension has gone down too, and he is my senior. So the Soviets set up on board! I left my copy of his rules with him. Okay! Tim