Ozerekya Breakout (OzB) CG

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My source on the Eastern Front, Don Deibler, informs me that the Soviet Navy never trained naval spotters. Does the NOBA in this game incorrectly have spotters ashore. That all Soviet Naval support was direct fire. Tim

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
My source on the Eastern Front, Don Deibler, informs me that the Soviet Navy never trained naval spotters. Does the NOBA in this game incorrectly have spotters ashore. That all Soviet Naval support was direct fire. Tim
The CG Soviet NOBA includes observervation planes to direct the fire no onboard direction allowed. An option for preregistered undirected prescenario ‘fire missions’ is available as well.

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I asked Mr.Deibler for his sources. He told me that there are two Romanian accounts. The first states that the Soviet radios did not work. (He compared them to early American radios.) The second account states that the Romanians jammed the radios. I misinterpreted his earlier remarks to assert that the Soviet Marines had no spotters. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
His point about Russian radios compared to early American radios was that both were vunerable to moisture damage.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don suggests reading a series of articles about Soviet radios in a book by Robert Mikesh. The United States refused to turn over tubes to the Russians in Lend Lease.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it possible in ASL to have direct fire from ships. In the case of the Soviet Navy this was a very common practice.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it possible in ASL to have direct fire from ships. In the case of the Soviet Navy this was a very common practice.
Unless a 3rd party outfit introduced direct fire rules I suspect they are simulated using the standard NOBA rules. The US Navy used direct fire too in the Pacific (especially at Iwo Jima). IMHO, getting a crit with regular NOBA would probably cover it unless you mean how it was spotted. Maybe use an off board observer to simulate that instead?

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand that a high sniper number simulates direct fire somewhat. Certainly, Soviet NOBA should be of the 1942 type in terms of radio contact. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand that ASL is an abstraction. In the early days of American amphibious invasions, moisture damage to radios were a major problem. Salt water and batteries do not mix well. The American overcame this issue with sheer ambudance of resources. They simply airdropped radios within their lines. In contrast, the Soviet problems with radios were ten times those of the Americans. In the early part of the war, most Soviet artillery was done by the nearest phone. The Soviet artillery men had maps divided into squares. They fired into them. There was little or no adjustment. Their naval guns, when not firing directly, used a similiar pre-planned targets on boards with squares. Tim

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have ordered the game. We have decided to play this first instead of the Budepest campaign game. Shorter. No night sessions. etc. Now I own the regular Axis Minor counter sheets plus two Last Hurrah games for extra counters. Will that be enough counters? Tim

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
you will have plenty of axis minors. usually only one company ~10 squads of any one type in play at a time. russians have fewer squad types so more than one BV would be helpful. also need Stuart tanks M3A1 and US 105Art pieces. we ran short of foxholes, blaze counters and location markers!

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, I have more than enough Russians, Stuart's in Russian colors perhaps not. I have more than enough Russians counters. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have reading the rules to start play perhaps next week. One issue: are the existing units on both sides in the initial order of battle in the campaign game subject to depletion? I understand that the companies and platoons purchased with TPs are subject to that process.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another issue: Are the units at start added to the number that cause the added negative modifiers for additional standard infantry TPs allocated for both the Soviet and Romanian units? Tim

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have reading the rules to start play perhaps next week. One issue: are the existing units on both sides in the initial order of battle in the campaign game subject to depletion? I understand that the companies and platoons purchased with TPs are subject to that process.
Hey Tim,

AFAIK the rules don't say the OB given forces are not subject to depletion. I know we rolled for it in our game.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another issue: Are the units at start added to the number that cause the added negative modifiers for additional standard infantry TPs allocated for both the Soviet and Romanian units? Tim
Not sure what you mean here. The only mods to the TP replenishment roll are for selecting an Attack chit and CVP suffered. I suppose if a lot of OB given dudes die, that counts. :)

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules for both the Soviets and Rumanians have a limited number of regular infantry companies the TP points may purchase before there is a penalty imposed for purchase over a certain number of such companies. The result, for instance, is a plus two on the chart for type of unit purchased randomly. This not only dramatically increases the chances for 336 conscripts but also nearly eliminates the possibility of elite 458/447 MMCs. My question was if the on start non purchase units affects the number that can be purchased before aforesaid penalties go into effect? Tim