OVR

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not really clear on the limits of vehicle OVR. D7.1 seems to state that a vehicle can do it as long as it's not marked with a Bounding Fire counter, then citing D7.14 as an EXC.

D7.14 states it is only MP-dependent (specifically: "A vehicle may continue to OVR the same or a different target hex as long as it has sufficient MP to expend".) Which seems to be contradicting the D7.1 rule.

Ok, once again, tell me what I'm missing.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing seems to be contradicting there. Assuming it is not marked with a bounding fire counter, it can overrun as many times as it has movement points to do so, right?

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The way I'm reading it, after the first OVR, the vehicle would have a Bounding Fire counter placed on it (per D3.3 - since OVR is a form of BF), thus negating the option of multiple OVR.

However, it is saying the multiple OVR is possible in D7.14, but not with the BF counter on it (per D7.1), thus my confusion.

I'm thinking there's probably some logic in there which allows OVR to not get a BF counter (and thus able to repeat the OVR process) if it doesn't use it's weapons when figuring it's OVR FP (ie, only using it's "base FP", as per D7.11)?

This brings up the question (to me, at least):

Is OVR considered firing (D3.3 excerpt: "Any vehicle that FIRES during its MPh is using Bounding First Fire and is marked with a Bounding Fire counter" and D7.1 excerpt "An OVR is a form of Bounding First Fire")?

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An overrun does mark the vehicle with bounding fire. But D7.14 is a "higher numbered rule" than D7.1 so it there is any conflick D7.14 is what applies.

So, if you are NOT marked bounding fire, you can overrun.

If you have just completed an overrun, the same vehicle - even tho' its marked bounding fire - can conduct additional overruns as long as it has movement points to do so.

Sam

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems to me that if a vehicle doesn't use any of it's MA or SA (and only uses it's base OVR FP) in an OVR, it hasn't really fired and thus hasn't meet the D3.3 criteria for getting a Bounding Fire counter:

"Any vehicle that fires during its MPh is using Bounding First Fire and is marked with a Bounding Fire counter"

I don't see any reference in the D7.1# OVR rules that refer to placing a BF counter after OVR. And the only sentence that seems to imply you should is the first one in D7.1 which states "An OVR is a form of Bounding First Fire".

And as an added twist: what if the only armament used during the OVR has a potential for ROF. Does rolling ROF keep an OVR vehicle from getting a BF counter?

And why am I thinking these thoughts so early in the morning...???

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An overrun is a form of bounding first fire.

You mark a vehicle with bounding first fire if you perform an overrun. You are assumed to have "used" all available weapons in the overrun.

There is no requirement for you to use your MA in order to get marked bounding fire. Even when NOT overrunning, if you fire ANY weapon you must fire ALL weapons from the same hex or forfeit their use...

This is all with no ASLRBH.... but I don't see how you can interpret the rules to allow what you're suggesting.

Sam