OVR in Open Ground and TEM

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Suppose an OVR vs Infantry in an Open Ground hex in which there is also a Wreck.

D7.15 says a FFMO -1 DRM would apply, cumulative with the Wreck TEM (for a total 0 DRM for the OVR).

But when checking D9.3, dealing with AFV/Wreck TEM, it says that TEM is NA when being fired from within the same Location; this would make AFV/Wreck TEM NA for OVR, as the OVRing firer & target units are always in the same Location.

Sure I am missing something about this.

Thanks for the help.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Well spotted - the two rules seem to be contradicting each other.

As I see it, they may either have forgot to put an EXC in D9.3 for OVR (thus allowing the wrecj TEM vs OVR), or forgot that Wreck TEM was not applicable when listing up things that the -1 FFMO is cumulative with during an OVR.

My guess is that the latter is correct, and that there should be an errata, removing "vehicle/wreck, " from D7.15.

Its of course a third possibility, that OVR is not considered fire, so that the D9.3 restrictions from the same Location doesn't apply to OVR, but D7.1 is pretty clear in saying that OVR is a kind of BFF, so I won't go for this.

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ole Boe said:
Well spotted - the two rules seem to be contradicting each other.

As I see it, they may either have forgot to put an EXC in D9.3 for OVR (thus allowing the wrecj TEM vs OVR), or forgot that Wreck TEM was not applicable when listing up things that the -1 FFMO is cumulative with during an OVR.

My guess is that the latter is correct, and that there should be an errata, removing "vehicle/wreck, " from D7.15.
I disagree. I rather believe the former case is more likely, and there should be an EXC: OVR included in D9.3.

Every single one of the TEM listed in D7.15 is sufficient to negate the -1 FFMO DRM; if any of these (entrenchment, emplaced, shellhole, etc) apply, the hex wouldn't normally be considered Open Ground (A10.531).

D7.15 goes out of its way to point out that for an OVR, the -1 FFMO does apply in addition to the TEM listed. A clearly indicated exception to the application of FFMO.

Therefore, I feel that D9.3 contains the omission, and the "being fired on from within that same Location" clause should contain "[EXC: OVR (7.15)]" within it.

Also take a gander at Footnote D10 on page D24 [2nd Ed].

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

JMO.