OVR and MOL

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A German HT enters a hex with a Russian 447 that has MOL capability. The HT declares an overrun. The 447 rolls for a MOL as DF before the overrun and fails the MOL check dr. Does the 447 still attack the CE crew with TPBF?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A German HT enters a hex with a Russian 447 that has MOL capability. The HT declares an overrun. The 447 rolls for a MOL as DF before the overrun and fails the MOL check dr. Does the 447 still attack the CE crew with TPBF?
Yes. You have to use your inherent FP to make a MOL attack. Unless you are a half squad where you forfeit it.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes. You have to use your inherent FP to make a MOL attack. Unless you are a half squad where you forfeit it.
I would hope that is true but seemingly not in all cases; see the attached Q&A; though I believe the rule has been changed enough to disallow this tactic. I think the current rule states one must include an IFT attack :

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't think there is any wriggle room in this sentence from A22.611.

A squad which makes a MOL Check dr may not fire any other SW and must add its inherent FP to the attack (See Mandatory FG; 7.55)

I assume this q&a is from 1st edition? Might be worth a question just confirming it is overruled.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think there is any wriggle room in this sentence from A22.611.

A squad which makes a MOL Check dr may not fire any other SW and must add its inherent FP to the attack (See Mandatory FG; 7.55)

I assume this q&a is from 1st edition? Might be worth a question just confirming it is overruled.
My take on it as well, We go with the rule as stated and disregard the Q&A. I'll send a Q to Perry to affirm the rule stands unaltered.

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My take on it as well, We go with the rule as stated and disregard the Q&A. I'll send a Q to Perry to affirm the rule stands unaltered.
Looking at A22.612: "If the MOL Check dr is not successful, the IFT attack (minus the MOL 4FP bonus) is carried out against all non-armored units in the hex." Does that mean the IFT attack vs the CE crew does not occur since the HT is armored?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I would have thought that a CE crew is vulnerable to all IFT attacks as per D.8 Collateral Attacks. Only if the crew was BU then they would be immune to an IFT based attack.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Same paragraph.

This same DR also serves as a Specific Collateral Attack (using both the Small Arms FP and the MOL's 4 FP) vs the AFV's Vulnerable PRC, and as a normal IFT attack (using only the Small Arms FP) vs all other non-armored units in the AFV's Location.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I would have thought that a CE crew is vulnerable to all IFT attacks as per D.8 Collateral Attacks. Only if the crew was BU then they would be immune to an IFT based attack.
An OT vehicle is vulnerable to a TPBF attack even if BU per A7.211.

JR