Overstacking in CC

Squike

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am old-time ASL guy returning to the game and I am reviewing my rusty infantry tactics and rule knowledge by solo-playing through the Guards Counterattack.

I would humbly appreciate any rule clarification concerning overstacking in close combat that the forum may offer.

As a brief background, the inevitable close combat occurred in F5. The beleaguered German 9-1 and three 1st line squads are holding off two Russian engineer squads that survived the first turn fire-storm. Two close combat phases later they are still in melee. During Russian turn two, I was able to move four additional engineer squads and a berserk engineer half-squad adjacent to the melee. The plan was to advance the extra help into the melee, tip the balance, and begin the next assault on the German kill stack in I7.

I have not been able to locate any rule that would prevent the plan - but I confess again that my rule knowledge is very rusty.

So, two questions:

1. Can I advance into the melee? (Essentially overstacking the hex with 9 1/2 squads plus a leader)

2. But, perhaps a better question after the resulting CC resolution is should I?

In the aftermath of my assumption that I could advance, the ensuing melee resulted in a CC bloodbath with only the German LMG surviving. This caused me to question the sanity of the original idea - because even if the Russians were successful, the German I7 kill stack is left with a target too juicy to pass up.

And this also reminded me that CC favors the weaker participant - sometimes with catastrophic results.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Berserk 1/2 squad could have and maybe should have entered in the MPh. The Berserk 1/2 squad is not allowed to advance. You can advance the others into CC, however, the Russian would be penalized on their CC roll by +1 for every squad equivalent that is overstacked and the German would receive a -1 for the same. So at present (without the Berserk) it is 2 squads of Russian, 4 more squads advance in. The Russian would have to add +3 to their CC roll, while the Germans would get an additional -3 to their CC roll.

Not very good odds in the long run. The CC would be Russian FP 36 versus 13 for the Germans. This would be for the Russian a 2:1 at +3. while the Germans would be at 1:4 with a DRM of -4(-3 for overstack and -1 for 9-1 leader).

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW - CC does not necessarily favor the weaker, it is dependent upon the odds and any DRM mods. You have to consider your options closely.

Squike

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the quick reply and clarification(s). I was wondering about the berserk squad, I definitely missed that one - I guess I was lazy as I had reached my RB referral quota for this phase.

And I do recall the additional penalties for additional units and wouldn't you know it is right there beneath the IFT - duh!

After my rule mutilation and the CC debacle - Germans rolled snake-eyes - I had to rethink the tactical advantage of the whole move. Very little gain and a HUGE risk for the Russians.

Thanks again. Hopefully, I will soon get the nerve to FtF or <<shudder>> try VASL because I think playing is the only way to really learn the rules, tactics and mechanics.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Jim did not emphasize this, but stacking is per side. If three German squads are stacked with six Russians, the Russians are overstacked but the Germans are not.

JR