Overstacking and Depressions

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Something that's always bugged me about the Crest rules is that if you overstack a depression hex with a unit at Crest, the overstacking penalties apply even when the firer has no LOS to anything in the hex except the unit in Crest. So, if a side has 4 squads IN a Depression and a SMC at Crest, an enemy unit that only has LOS to the SMC at Crest applies a -1 IFT/TH DRM at it despite not being able to inspect the location's contents because the squads IN the depression are out of LOS.

Another ASL physics issue.

EDIT: for Vehicle overstacking penalties to apply, both (or more) overstacked vehicles have to be in LOS.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It actually makes sense. The fact that there are lots of men in the same area, means that the squad on the crest may be forced to expose more men to the enemy fire, or utilize less effective cover. Correct me if I am wrong guys, but I believe a squad in crest represents a few select men poking their heads above the edge. Not the whole squad. Just like a squad in a building represents a few men in each window, and the rest staying in cover, to replace those lost.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, it doesn't. It is an oversight, as proven by the EXC for vehicles in the same situation.
Each vehicle counter represents just one vehicle occupying a concentrated area of the hex, as opposed to 10-12 men spread out over a large area. In my opinion, that is why there is an exception for vehicles.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also believe it's a glitch in the rules as a Gully is a -1 level depression whereas the units in Crest status are at a +0 level of that hex. If one would want to extrapolate that position it would be similar to a building with the ground level and a level 1, but considering that the hex would be overstacked because two Squads occupied the lower level and two squads occupied the 1st level. It really never made any logical sense to me inferring that both level 0 and level -1 were the same location given the definition of "Location" in the Index even though not specifically called out. JMHO.:rolleyes:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
If the Gully had a floor above it like a roof then you would have a point. A Gully is just one (uneven) continuous surface, a building has multiple surfaces. Indeed from memory of early SL designer notes, a single Building Level may consist of multiple floors. I strongly suspect my 2 floor home would only rate a single Level in ASL. The Building Levels are supposed to reflect relative (compared to hills, etc) height, not number of floors.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The vehicle exception exists due to the ability of vehicles to end the turn in bypass. You are right though, itis an anomaly

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The vehicle exception exists due to the ability of vehicles to end the turn in bypass. You are right though, itis an anomaly
Actualy, it covers the exact same circumstance--if you overstacked a Wadi with vehicles and one vehicle was in Crest.