Overlays vs. counters—which rules?

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Playing a game via VASL, and the game calls for placement of two bridges. A VASL overlay can be aesthetically pleasing, but if the scenario does not explicitly call for an overlay, must the bridges exist or be considered to exist only in counter form?

B6.2: “Bridge counters are Inherent Terrain (B.6).” The LOS will be imporatant.

Cheers,

Last edited:

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you can use whichever you like best, counter or overlay. You both know they're Inherent Terrain and what type of bridge they are.
There are no bridge overlays in ASL that I know of, so the rules were written from that perspective, so they don't mention overlays.

Reactions: EJ1

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I think you can use whichever you like best, counter or overlay. You both know they're Inherent Terrain and what type of bridge they are.
There are no bridge overlays in ASL that I know of, so the rules were written from that perspective, so they don't mention overlays.
I love these! :)

Reactions: EJ1

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If only I remembered everything I'm supposed to remember. The catch here is to remember they are: 1) inherent terrain; 2) not ASL overlays; 3) and not to be comingled with ASL overlays when deciding LOS and summing TEMs. I added a text label near our phase tracker to remind us about these overlays. Might help.

I'm workin' it!

Last edited: