The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi all,
I and a friend, using the last VASL and VASSAL versions had a problem with an overlay.
I set up the board using the old fashion overlay placement system, but my friend could not see the overlay (a stream one).
But when he used the drag and drop overlay system, we both saw it - in my case, while he tried to place it, I saw it twice ("mine" and "his") until it was in the same position as the original one.
Does this mean that we should not use the older overlay placement system (which I still like a lot, as you make less errors when you write the coordinates)?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No, it probably means that he was missing the stream overlay in is boards/overlays directory, which the old method uses. Try it with a couple of different overlays. If the same problem arises then it may be worth investigating. Can you see overlays he places with the old method?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks. We will check this when we play again.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had a similar problem earlier this year. Assuming he has the overlays downloaded and stored locally, he'll need to ensure that he has the path to the overlays folder noted under Preferences. Once in VASL, go to File -> Preferences, then the Extensions tab. My path was blank (I either forgot to load it or re-load it when something changed). Once I had the path entered, the overlays showed up no problem.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had a similar problem earlier this year. Assuming he has the overlays downloaded and stored locally, he'll need to ensure that he has the path to the overlays folder noted under Preferences. Once in VASL, go to File -> Preferences, then the Extensions tab. My path was blank (I either forgot to load it or re-load it when something changed). Once I had the path entered, the overlays showed up no problem.
Good thought. To be precise, it is the path to the boards directory/folder that you need to set. Overlays is always a subfolder of it - you can't set the overlays folder explicitly. This is what you need to do for the old method.

Setting the Extensions tab path determines where VASL looks for extensions such as the overlay extension (new method). It is important to set it as well.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct. I think my issue was that I had it loaded correctly in the original version of VASL that I was using, but when I moved to a newer version, I forgot to go back in and re-enter the path.

Tigernaut

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I do prefer the older version as like you say, you quote the coordinates so placement of the overlay is correct even if rotated cw/ccw.
This leads to another issue, when you wish to place overlays but are using snow. When I place the overlays in the preparation mini screen they appear to take on the snow effects, yet when I bring the maps to the full screen, the overlays are in summer colours. I do like the right click to be able to adjust Orchard Season, Dense Jungle etc., but maybe an Option for snow ? Unless I’m not following the correct sequence ?