Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
To recreate:

1. Start new scenario
  2. Select a standard board (19 for example)
  3. Drag an Overlay on to the map (used B1 for example)
  4. Select Terrain SSR and set Month to December and Weather to Ground Snow and click Apply
  5. Brush does not turn to ground snow.
Here is what it looks like:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep...that is a known issue. Fixable but labor intensive until the discovery of new VASL technology. In the meantime, I can convert these for you or you can use the old method if you want the snow transform. Let me know your preference.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How complex is the old method?
It’s not complex. Just very fiddley, time consuming. It also didn’t support large overlays well. Guys were always asking how to place these. Please keep in mind I’m not the brightest star in the sky. It has its pros though...weather transforms being one. But other than that...

And let me confess...I HATE overlays. Even the new way. To make them look good is time consuming...not as much as the old way but still time consuming. You have to generate 3 graphic orientations for each one. And the VASL hex grid isn’t uniform so the overlays never lay down perfectly.

I’d rather create a scenario specific board with the overlay art incorporated than deal with universal overlays.

Rant mode off...

Thanks, I feel better.

Did I mention I’m not the ripest apple in the basket? ?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
To recreate:

1. Start new scenario
  2. Select a standard board (19 for example)
  3. Drag an Overlay on to the map (used B1 for example)
  4. Select Terrain SSR and set Month to December and Weather to Ground Snow and click Apply
  5. Brush does not turn to ground snow.
Here is what it looks like:

View attachment 12206
Does the same thing also happen if you use the 'old way' of placing overlays, i.e. by specifying the map coordinates?

von Marwitz

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Does the same thing also happen if you use the 'old way' of placing overlays, i.e. by specifying the map coordinates?

von Marwitz
No, if you use the 'old way' of placing overlays, you will get this, which is what the OP wanted:

There are advantages to using the 'new way' (draggable overlays) and advantages to the 'old way' (specifying map coordinates when doing board selection, cropping, etc, with the board wizard at startup (or if you have selected "Pick New Boards for this Scenario" from the drop down menu when you click on the ASL icon on the toolbar once a game has been created)). If one doesn't work try the other.

Part of the problem for the OP is that he used a mix of old and new. Steps 1,2, 4, and 5 and old and step 3 in his list is new.

Before you ask, no we can't combine the old and the new into one way to place overlays. They each do their stuff using very different parts of VASL/VASSAL.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Before you ask, no we can't combine the old and the new into one way to place overlays. They each do their stuff using very different parts of VASL/VASSAL.
Well, then as long as we keep both the old and the new way in VASL, then everything is fine.

von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are zero plans to release new overlays in the old format. So somebody is going to need to address this problem some time.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are zero plans to release new overlays in the old format. So somebody is going to need to address this problem some time.
To my knowledge there is no plan. Period. One way or another. If somebody wants to work on overlays, no-one is going to stop them.

As you can see there is currently a very energetic, skilled, and proficient group of map-elves who have been turning out boards and related stuff at a great rate. What and when they work on things is in their hands.