Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I'd buy a pair, especially if the pack contained a board 25 with Escarpment printed as a whole board variation. While the 10z and 17z were a bit of overkill for the 10x8 hex changes, the Escarpment overlay covers over half the board and would be a worthwhile effort. Once I had a 2nd (or 3rd?) copy of the original mounted board 25, I permanently glued an Escarpment overlay onto it. It was too much hassle realigning the two again and again.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I sold all my mounted boards when I switched over to the new SK style, kind of wishing I hadn't now though as they were great and it would be good to still have them, still, I digress, the overlay pack is something I'm looking forward to (even though I'm low on cash and not actually all that fond of overlays)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Any one know if the overlays from Journal 4 will be included?

How about the DASL overlays from Annual '95 (later corrected and reprinted in the General)? Scenarios J6 J11, J21, J65, J123 use them.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I sold all my mounted boards when I switched over to the new SK style, kind of wishing I hadn't now though as they were great and it would be good to still have them, still, I digress, the overlay pack is something I'm looking forward to (even though I'm low on cash and not actually all that fond of overlays)
Hey with your 8 year time between setting up a scenario and actually placing the overlays, you've got some time to save up. :D

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey with your 8 year time between setting up a scenario and actually placing the overlays, you've got some time to save up. :D
that's true, although I just spent all my saved up dosh (well, most of it) on going down to HEROES this week, my first ASL tournament, should be fun:D

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
To build on Paul's comment, it would be nice to see some new overlays, in addition to the already published ones. I'd suggest 2, 3 and 4 hex bridges (pontoon and conventional) for a start. An airfield might be useful. Some of the 'weird' terrain introduced in some of the HASL modules might be nice (RR turntables and whatnot) also. As long as I'm wishing - PTO artwork versions of some of the already existing overlays might be nice but I might be pushing it.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
To build on Paul's comment, it would be nice to see some new overlays, in addition to the already published ones. I'd suggest 2, 3 and 4 hex bridges (pontoon and conventional) for a start. An airfield might be useful. Some of the 'weird' terrain introduced in some of the HASL modules might be nice (RR turntables and whatnot) also. As long as I'm wishing - PTO artwork versions of some of the already existing overlays might be nice but I might be pushing it.
In the Resources forum...
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?resources/bridge-overlays.1/

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
An airfield might be useful.
I doubt it would be.
There already are two boards with airfields and those are quite rarely used.
PTO artwork versions of some of the already existing overlays might be nice but I might be pushing it.
Where I would see a problem, is that those overlays would not match the terrain of the boards they are placed on, as boards all have ETO terrain depictions (e.g. palm trees neighbouring 'normal' orchards).

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
... it would be nice to see some new overlays, in addition to the already published ones.
I think that's an excellent idea, opening the design space some more and also reducing the need to include new overlays in future products. The journal 4 overlay situation is quite unfortunate, especially if you like bocage.

It would be possible to include the board 25 escarpment with the map packs, it's not really an overlay now, is it?

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I doubt it would be.
There already are two boards with airfields and those are quite rarely used.
Where I would see a problem, is that those overlays would not match the terrain of the boards they are placed on, as boards all have ETO terrain depictions (e.g. palm trees neighbouring 'normal' orchards).
I think rarely used terrain is the type best represented by overlays (as opposed to releasing additional boards with that terrain on them). Also, there are some HASL boards that have more PTO styled terrain, and since that's the only PTO-looking terrain we've got, parts of those maps might be repurposed into more generic PTO settings with overlays. (Though admittedly many of those maps are TPP.)

afgur

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Country
llUnited States
Hi all
Years ago someone posted some overlays they made that joined the hills of bds 2, 15 and 50 to each other. Was different and somewhat weird to see the hills run together, reminded me of historical maps. I downloaded and printed them numerous times but could not get them to line up with my maps.
Now, I would love to see those overlays included in the pack.

Alan

Attachments

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Hi all
Years ago someone posted some overlays they made that joined the hills of bds 2, 15 and 50 to each other. Was different and somewhat weird to see the hills run together, reminded me of historical maps. I downloaded and printed them numerous times but could not get them to line up with my maps.
I have not considered those connections. I will try to re-create these overlays using HexDraw and post them in the resources section. They probably wont look exactly like the ones posted but will make hill to hill connections. Give me a few weeks to complete them.

afgur

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Country
llUnited States
BigAl737
VASL would be good, I'm sure. Have never used it, maybe I should, but at least it would get them out there and hopefully used in some oficial stuff. they've been aroud for years.

RandyT0001
Hexdraw versions would be cool. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks

Alan

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all
I have not considered those connections. I will try to re-create these overlays using HexDraw and post them in the resources section. They probably wont look exactly like the ones posted but will make hill to hill connections. Give me a few weeks to complete them.
Randy

I'm looking at Norway/Italy/Balkans scenarios--KWASL-and their steep hills maps are perfect--and I could incorporate these overlays into some of my pending designs if they line up.
If it's not going to end up as a different type of scenario then I won't do it. Time for more "outside the (ASL) box" thinking.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Randy

I'm looking at Norway/Italy/Balkans scenarios--KWASL-and their steep hills maps are perfect--and I could incorporate these overlays into some of my pending designs if they line up.
If it's not going to end up as a different type of scenario then I won't do it. Time for more "outside the (ASL) box" thinking.

Dukla pass!!