Overlay Pack

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
I just discovered that my overlay OG1 is missing :(

But I remember that MMP had the overlay pack on schedule for this year. Is that still true?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I really hope that the overlay pack will be some kind of 'punch out' diecut or whatnot sheet
as, being honest, I have a ton of work as it is just keeping up with punching and clipping counters without having to cut out overlays if it can be avoided

I'd even pay extra for that

so here's hoping:D

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Any updates on the Overlay Bundle? Has there been a release date aimed for? Thanks!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also check your boards...I sometimes find mine still stuck to the last board I used.
Lost a single hex wooden building overlay that way once.

It was on board 22, right where I left it...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I suspect that we might have to wait until the Pasta is cooked and the Frog has jumped as CdG had a sheet of overlays and the entire DTO overlay set has yet to be drawn out. While MMP might well do the relevant overlays well before the rest of those two modules, I suspect that only having a core production schedule pending might provide sufficient impetus for the overlays.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suspect that we might have to wait until the Pasta is cooked and the Frog has jumped as CdG had a sheet of overlays and the entire DTO overlay set has yet to be drawn out. While MMP might well do the relevant overlays well before the rest of those two modules, I suspect that only having a core production schedule pending might provide sufficient impetus for the overlays.
I won't be surprised if you're correct, but the history of the map pack somewhat argues against this.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I won't be surprised if you're correct, but the history of the map pack somewhat argues against this.
I've been thinking about what you said.

First let us consider what caused MMP to switch to SK from mounted. I assume that MMP got some leftover stock and possibly got some more printed. There were some marketing advantages "Look they are real mounted, not paper or post card cräp, this is quality!", type of thing, but the relative success of the SK line and the reprint cost and the logistics and shipping (weight) burden of mounted maps clearly must have pushed MMP further towards SK style.

However such a decision would have been fairly drastic, after all, mounted maps were in every core and AP to date and were essential to play all except a few HS/HASL games. In effect every map would have to be replaced, an all or nothing job. It's not as if you could ship BV with 2 mounted and 2 SK maps, depending upon availability. That would not be a cheap switch. In addition, only issuing SK maps in cores (over many years) or via individual map orders (a right pain) would mean players would only get their maps in dribs and drabs. So releasing a map bundle would have seemed like a good "instant catchup" idea and possibly more important, given MMP a cash injection to offset what must have been a big expense. Back then getting it wrong might possibly have ended MMP, not doing anything different could have been a slower but inevitable death.

Overlays are not in the same essential bracket as I don't think even 20% of scenarios use overlays. The release of the like of RS has already dampened the demand for overlays somewhat, the main absence being the DTO ones. While MMP may well make more per overlay package than the same weight of maps, I suspect there is not the same financial urgency. Given then greatly increased output from MMP over the last 5 years or so, I suspect the limitation is drawing/layout time rather than limited finance or strong risk. There might be some lack of enthusiasm, even the most enjoyable of jobs can get a bit of a pain at times, that has to be expected.

So while the map pack history may be, to our pleasant surprise, a good guide, I don't think we should set too much store on that, as both the product is less critical and MMP is in a different state.

kgwright2012

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
AP2 had Overlay 6, Hi1-7, X25-29.
Those plus the overlays from AoO are what I'm primarily still missing. Hi8-Hi12, Rv1, Wd12, Wd34. Who know when or if that module will ever be rereleased, but at least those are probably already available if the decide to do an overlay pack.

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I would happily buy that pack as a reasonably-priced .pdf that I can print. It would be easy to update the file as needed. Also, 0 stock, 0 shipping (but, yes, making the file is work).

I'm even thinking that selling that pdf page by page at a very low cost (a few bucks a page) for people just wanting the one specific overlay would be a good idea that could be financially sound. Or per category ("all the X# overlays). Or per supplement ("all the AoO overlays"). One does not exclude the others.
Watermarked, maybe sold through drivethru...
RPG companies have been selling pdfs for a long time, now. They're past the "we will be stolen our IP !" stage to the "In fact, we're making a good amount of money that way and we still sell dead tree books" stage.