Overlay Pack suggestion (Dear MMP)

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When the overlay pack is printed could we also get an alternate selection of 5/8 inch terrain counters. 15 counters would take the place of most 5-4-3-2-1 overlays. The counters can just be like PFZ counters with orchard, pond, open ground, etc. There could be an optional rule (by agreement of both players) that the counters could be used in place of overlays. Much like the IIFT is optional (hoping to avoid that kind of debate). The rule could be the counter terrain is inherent to the hex it is in.

This would reduce the need for overlays on many scenarios and limit overlay use to buildings, hills, streams other larger overlays. I am not asking for a replacement of overlays...just a second option. Especially at the one or two hex type overlay. I would think two or three counter sheets could cover most of the overlays where this is possible. Plus give us crag counters since there is no overlay option.

I have noticed many overlay scenarios get reduced reported playing on ROAR. Maybe counters would be a good second option.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Michael, overlays are better than terrain counters. Why, because you can tape (temporarily with poster clear tape) overlays onto a board (or not) and lay a thin sheet of plexiglass, etc. on top. The counters are played on top of the plastic.

Of course not everybody likes overlays, terrain counters, using acrylic plastic sheets, etc.

I am curious if you checked on the frequency of scenarios played that use the PFZ counters on ROAR vs those that do not use PFZ counters.

aloha_brian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Michael so much I also use overlays (clear, and orchard/vineyard) under the plexiglass, instead of the PFZ counters.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While I regard a 2+ hex overlay much more manageable than 2+ counters, having the option would still be moderately attractive.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
MMP should throw in a copy of SASL with them, too. Counters could be made from the same card stock as the overlays...

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i would like to see rubble overlays, and debris and even burning building overlays thus cutting down on tipped stacks, moving counters etc

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would never willingly use something like rubble overlays--counters for that sort of thing are much better. Overlays are too much of a pain; they are a necessary evil, but still an evil. I'm not crazy about the idea of counters to replace overlays with non-inherent terrain, though.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To each their own. I'd rather have those sorts of things that are "at start" underneath the plexiglass than on top of it.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I prefer to use acetate sheets cut to cover the appropriate board configuration with a 1" extra border on all edges. The rare occasions I go to play ASL,
the weight factor is a major consideration. You motorized guys can lug a plexiglass sheet. I usually travel by train, and the airlines would love to see
someone put a plexiglass sheet on the luggage carousel {Paging the American Tourister gorilla!}.