Overlay bug?

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am setting up J99, "On to Florence"
Per SSR, all wheatfields are vineyards and overlay 6 is placed on S1/S2.
Whether I do the terrain transformation first or after placing the overlay, "phantom" vineyards appear on the rights side of the board which appear to be a mirror image of the ones to the left of the image below.

No doubt something to look at for the next update!

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Doug Leslie
It appears you're not using the draggable overlay from the Overlay extension. That one works although it doesn't have a grain to vineyard transformation. I'll get that added today.

edit: Here's a temp link to a DRAFT version of the Overlay Extension I'm working on.

I added ovr6 as a SSO.

If you use this draft version of the Overlay extension, deactivate your current version. Your opponent should do the same as well.

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Al, since there is no grain on the overlay itself, no need for a transform. The board grain-to-vineyard works fine and the draggable overlay works great.

Doug, you should probably move to vasl 6.6.3.1. I know that may not seem to be an upgrade from 6.6.4-beta2 but it is. I had to add a patch and release 6.6.3.1 officially. But I did so on top of 6.6.4-beta2 so everything in the beta is in 6.6.3.1.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Doug Leslie

I added a version of ovr6 with a grain to vineyard transform. Instructions up thread, post 5

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I am setting up J99, "On to Florence"
Per SSR, all wheatfields are vineyards and overlay 6 is placed on S1/S2.
Whether I do the terrain transformation first or after placing the overlay, "phantom" vineyards appear on the rights side of the board which appear to be a mirror image of the ones to the left of the image below.

View attachment 20234

No doubt something to look at for the next update!
I remember having encountered such a phenomenon years in the past. But for the love of God I am unable to provide any details and can't even say if it involved vineyards or grain. For sure, the VASSAL and VASL versions that were in use back then are very long obsolete. I do not have encountered such an issue for years, either.

von Marwitz

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Al, since there is no grain on the overlay itself, no need for a transform. The board grain-to-vineyard works fine and the draggable overlay works great.
My eyes must be buggy. I see grain near the 1 and 2 hexes. :)

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
@Doug Leslie
It appears you're not using the draggable overlay from the Overlay extension. That one works although it doesn't have a grain to vineyard transformation. I'll get that added today.

edit: Here's a temp link to a DRAFT version of the Overlay Extension I'm working on.

I added ovr6 as a SSO.

View attachment 20239

If you use this draft version of the Overlay extension, deactivate your current version. Your opponent should do the same as well.
I have downloaded the new version. Where does it go so that it can be activated? It is currently in my overlays folder but I'm not sure what to do next!

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The overlays extension should be in your extensions folder with your other extensions; not in the overlays folder.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have found the bug and it was me. I had made some changes to overlays and they found their way into the beta2 version without being properly tested. They had inadvertent consequences.

More importantly I have fixed the bug and the fix will, after further testing, be released as part of 6.6.4. I am optimistic that 6.6.4 will be a good first step forward for overlays:

1. overlays will autosync as per boards
  2. many (but not all) single terrain overlays (ie grain, brush) will work with the los engine
  3. overlays will handle terrain transforms better
All of the above will apply to the traditional overlays added from boardPicker

The draggable overlays in the very excellent VASLOverlays extension will be subject to later development work.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have found the bug and it was me. I had made some changes to overlays and they found their way into the beta2 version without being properly tested. They had inadvertent consequences.

More importantly I have fixed the bug and the fix will, after further testing, be released as part of 6.6.4. I am optimistic that 6.6.4 will be a good first step forward for overlays:

1. overlays will autosync as per boards
  2. many (but not all) single terrain overlays (ie grain, brush) will work with the los engine
  3. overlays will handle terrain transforms better
All of the above will apply to the traditional overlays added from boardPicker

The draggable overlays in the very excellent VASLOverlays extension will be subject to later development work.
If the LOS Engine will be able to cope with overlays, I think that will be a major milestone for VASL.

Thanks for your continued, I shall say relentless, efforts for VASL on behalf of the community, Doug!

von Marwitz

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If the LOS Engine will be able to cope with overlays, I think that will be a major milestone for VASL.

Thanks for your continued, I shall say relentless, efforts for VASL on behalf of the community, Doug!

von Marwitz
Keeps me off the streets.

The LOS engine WILL cope with certain overlays in VASL6.6.4: grain, brush, marsh, swamp, woods, ponds and open ground. How much further I can/will get in that and later versions I don't yet know.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The LOS engine WILL cope with certain overlays in VASL6.6.4: grain, brush, marsh, swamp, woods, ponds and open ground. How much further I can/will get in that and later versions I don't yet know.
Well, the ones you name are among the most commonly used. It will make a felt difference.

von Marwitz