Overall Best Picture Nominee Thread

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Stage
Smokey And The Bandit? For Best Picture?
Hey now, don't mess with my boys! Smokey and the Bandit is a classic. Personally, they should make more like it (though not more of it, the sequels were sub-par). And, since I finally don't have to listen to the academy awards (who screw up 90% of the time) I say its a best picture! :D

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
Hey now, don't mess with my boys! Smokey and the Bandit is a classic. Personally, they should make more like it (though not more of it, the sequels were sub-par). And, since I finally don't have to listen to the academy awards (who screw up 90% of the time) I say its a best picture! :D
Well the Academy does suck, I'll agree there.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Overseer
Well you have to look at it from my side. I'm discussing this as a film issue.

Does John Wayne play a wide variety of roles? Or the same basic guy in each?

And it is a fact that most westerns were basically slightly revised versions of the last western the director and writer made. They generally didn't stretch themselves too often.
True, John Wayne got away with playing the same character everytime, but he was so good at it he should have gotten more awards. If you're good enough at playing one character that 90% of your movies are that character, then you must be pretty good at it. Personally, I don't like the way folks judge movies. I judge by entertainment value, because that's what they are. I like plots that aren't episodic or idiotic, but I hate movies that think they're so smart or artistic.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But in terms of actual film, with the exception of True Grit which was a well made film, the vast majority of westerns were terrible if you look at them from a film angle. The vast majority of scripts in westerns involved just changing the names from the last western you made and a few minor details. The directing in most westerns falls flat (the exception being those made by Sergio Leone).

Best overall pictures in my opinion:
Godfather, Godfather Part II, Apocalypse Now, Psycho...

For more modern best picture nominees (imo): Fight club, Requiem for a Dream, Se7en...

There, there's seven nominees from me :p
I'm going to say a blasphemy and say that I don't care for any of those films. Even the Godfather! :shock: Apocalypse Now was alright, but it was just too odd and fake that I couldn't get into it.

Reaction score
I should add though, Casablanca came from an era when movies were mass produced, and in fact it's one of the most amazing films ever made simply because of the conditions it was made under. The script was just one of a few hundred that year, all the actors and actresses just happened to be put in it together, etc. Basically pure chance came together to make what is regarded as one of the best films ever made.
Casablanca also gets my vote. It truly was an amazing result. The script was being revised on an almost daily basis and its famous ending was an after thought. It doesn't hurt that Ingrid Bergmann is about the most beautiful woman ever filmed.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
the best Finnish war film

If anybody is interested, I can try to burn a copy of 'The road to lake Ruka'.
I hope the dvd will have english subtitles, it really is a good film, and gives you a idea what the forrest patrolling war was like ( a lot of the front was so thinly manned that both sides infiltrated long range patrols across enemy lines.
Please inform me if interested.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I'm one of the very few people who didn't really like Zulu. It was alright, but I just expected a lot more from all the rave reviews. Just doesn't do it for me.