2. Independence Day

3. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

And I can't help it, I add in Patton

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
*blinks*

Now most of what was listed were good movies. But OVERALL BEST PICTURE!?

1. Godfather

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
Any John Wayne movie ever made
But in terms of actual film, with the exception of True Grit which was a well made film, the vast majority of westerns were terrible if you look at them from a film angle. The vast majority of scripts in westerns involved just changing the names from the last western you made and a few minor details. The directing in most westerns falls flat (the exception being those made by Sergio Leone).

Best overall pictures in my opinion:
Godfather, Godfather Part II, Apocalypse Now, Psycho...

For more modern best picture nominees (imo): Fight club, Requiem for a Dream, Se7en...

There, there's seven nominees from me :p

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No one throws at The Duke and gets away with it :armed: :hurt:
Look, The Duke is all fine and good. He's great, but he plays the same role in all of his movies. And he only directed a few movies, which was my main complaint about his movies (nothing special in the directing area).

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well you have to look at it from my side. I'm discussing this as a film issue.

Does John Wayne play a wide variety of roles? Or the same basic guy in each?

And it is a fact that most westerns were basically slightly revised versions of the last western the director and writer made. They generally didn't stretch themselves too often.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should add though, Casablanca came from an era when movies were mass produced, and in fact it's one of the most amazing films ever made simply because of the conditions it was made under. The script was just one of a few hundred that year, all the actors and actresses just happened to be put in it together, etc. Basically pure chance came together to make what is regarded as one of the best films ever made.

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
you are right, he does play the same role in a lot of his movies. Cowboy going out after bad dude who burned, killed or stole something.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
you are right, he does play the same role in a lot of his movies. Cowboy going out after bad dude who burned, killed or stole something.
Which he did well, I'll give him that. And no doubt he's a great American Icon. I just can't count him all that high when we're talking about film in a technical manner. :toast: