OT - Who else publishes war games similar to MMP?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
This is not about ASL as such but rather about MMP and other game publishers. My eyes have been opened to the other games that MMP publishes. Like the 'Combat Series' games (OCS, BCS etc.) and the ACW games and the Normandy and Market Garden games. They are all of excellent quality and cry for further investigation. Which I cannot do due to money and time constraints.

I would like to ask if there are other publishers out there who produce complex, large scale war games like MMP does? Which companies?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Thanks Robin. I just logged into Consimworld and saw how many game producers are listed there. A lot. Obviously they all produce different types of games but it is obvious that MMP is one of many.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The TCS, SCS and OCS series were previously published by The Gamers, before MMP acquired them, btw.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
You never heard of the Honda Fireblade?

Seriously though. There have got to be at least some excellent games which other publishers release.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
GMT publish really excellent games and in great variety.
And their shipping costs are much more friendly fir European customers.
Why are you even wondering if publishers other than MMP publish excellent games?
You seem to be very ignorant about the board wargame world.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
They aren't published anymore, but Avalon Hill games are the best!
Not all of them.
Compass Games have published old AH titles, though.
GMT is about to republish The Russian Campaign - Compass Games too.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
You seem to be very ignorant about the board wargame world.
I guess that is true. I went from AD&D into SL and then ASL without really looking further. It would be nice to have some kind of lead into other publishers/games.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
My excuse is that nobody has ever introduced me to other publishers. Most of the stuff I know about comes from others. I don't know many other war gamers - except online. Everybody online is an ASL player. I am deliberately trying to broaden my horizons.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
You never heard of the Honda Fireblade?

Seriously though. There have got to be at least some excellent games which other publishers release.
It is hotly debated what “excellent” means.:)

But some widely respected games are those by Mark Simonitch. Try Ukraine’43 or Ardennes’44 for instance. If you visit boardgamegeek you will find plenty of reports and reviews of games.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Thanks Robin. I just logged into Consimworld and saw how many game producers are listed there. A lot. Obviously they all produce different types of games but it is obvious that MMP is one of many.
If you go to BGG you can see a listing for every wargame ever published. You can sort their master list by date or by publisher to see the variety or see who is still actively publishing.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Plot twist - ASL is #12, ASLSK 1 is #25.

Also, the ratings are meaningless and routinely gamed. But you get an idea of some of the different games and if you go through all 96 pages of listings your question may be answered.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
That list reminded me of Butterfield's D-Day solitaire games. They are excellent: D-Day at Omaha, D-Day at Tarawa, D-Day at Peleliu. There is a spin-off D-Day at Iwo done by someone else which has been not that well received.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That list reminded me of Buttefield's D-Day solitaire games. They are excellent: D-Day at Omaha, D-Day at Tarawa, D-Day at Peleliu. There is a spin-off D-Day at Iwo done by someone else which has been not that well received.
Strategy&Tactics published a solitaire game on Iwo Jima back in the 80s, I still have my copy somewhere. It was a tedious bug hunt with little for the attacker to do. Jan's cup of tea, I imagine. :)

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Other companies producing wargames : GMT, Compass Games, Decision Games, Hexasim, OSG, Decision Games, Worthington Games, Legion Games, Clash Of Arms.