OT : Decision Graphics

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Again, a question for all you real military people passing by. For my project, I a trying to implement as much as possible my display as to fit the FM101-5-1 (ops graphics). It isn't going to be 100% as specified; I suspect the real life graphics aren't either.

In FM-101-5-1, there is a section decision graphics, which uses mini pie charts within a TF icon (effectiveness and material status). Is this type of convention really used. I'd like to provide quick info on an icon, but I won't do all the silly math if no one really uses this convention (I'll use status bar instead). Right now the user has to left click to bring up the most recent SITREP, which is a OK solution, although it dents playability.

MDFeingold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bongotastic said:
Again, a question for all you real military people passing by. For my project, I a trying to implement as much as possible my display as to fit the FM101-5-1 (ops graphics). It isn't going to be 100% as specified; I suspect the real life graphics aren't either.

In FM-101-5-1, there is a section decision graphics, which uses mini pie charts within a TF icon (effectiveness and material status). Is this type of convention really used. I'd like to provide quick info on an icon, but I won't do all the silly math if no one really uses this convention (I'll use status bar instead). Right now the user has to left click to bring up the most recent SITREP, which is a OK solution, although it dents playability.
Actually, since (IIRC) the pie chart is limited to four quadrants, can't you use pre-rendered bitmaps (or PNGs or whatever) to reflect the four possible states, rather than drawing the chart on the fly?

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, I can use bitmaps... An old reflex to jump into geometry all the time. I am suspicious about this notation because I have never seen it anywhere but in this FM.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you want to stay current, get a copy of the new Operational Terms and Graphics FM HERE. Not sure how "up-to-date" it is, or if it was just an update of the FM numbering system. Also, be careful on how you choose to present information, because quite often, the way the Army recommends it is done is often NOT the best way to do it - you have several options here:

1. Use the form recommended, but consider "improving" it for clarity.

2. Create your own way of presenting this information in a manner consistent with the look and feel of the game.

3. Talk to a veteran who has operational experience and ask him or her how THEY would like to see that information presented.

Personally, I think a balance of all 3 of the above would give you something that would work best for your game.

Curt

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks, I am already doing a bit of the three. Once I have a demo I'll count more on #3.

I suspect that there is a disconnect between the recommendations and the ways things are done in reality. It is possible that the "real" way isn't very good for playability too! In the other hand, the fact that it feels real is a plus from a player's perpective.

Cheers,