Orezekya Breakout SASL

Attenzionen

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The last few weeks I have been enjoying the Ozerekya Breakout campaign as a HSASL game. Its fun and very immersive ideed. I can only recommend this experience.

Right now I am preparing TM4 the February 5 1943 afternoon scenario. The Soviets have secured a line roughly from the house in the western vineyard over the single house adjacent to the road in the centre to the hill crest on the south-eastern hill. The now have a vantage poit overlooking the town of Glebovka itself. This will hopefully prove an advantage for the comming attacks on the town's southern perimeters.

Here is the link to the narrative of 255th Marines Brigade: Orezekya Breakout HSASL Campaign

All comments and feedback are wellcome.

Cheers
Elmo

Last edited:

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
You've got an interesting approach - it's quite different to how I typically handle historical scenario-to-SASL conversions. My first thought was that limiting the ENEMY to the historical OOB would make them too easy an opponent, but then if you're playing these games as part of a campaign you can probably tailor that against what you do in the refit/recovery phase so you can't just go for broke every game.

Quite a while back I had a go at playing Festung Budapest as a linked series of "block party' missions with some success, though it didn't go exactly as I wanted it too.

Attenzionen

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi @ Barking Monkey
Thanks for your Feedback.

Actually up until now I go straight with the rules. I roll randomly for Axis reinforcements making sure they don't forget to take infantry along. As long as the defender has enough depth I inroduce Axis infantry and light artillery as reserves and place them at > 7 hexes from the front line. This saves them points I then can invest in more units or fortifications. In contrast the Russians need to place the units on board near the front line for extra points so that they can fight in the next tactical mission.

Right now I am playing TM-4 and it looks like the Russians are somewhat getting the upper hand. But I would not bet on it as ASL can cater for some surprising results hitting FRIENDLY in the nose every now and then. In TM-4 the Russians are lucky that a Romanian radio malfunctioned on the first roll for contact stalling the second Axis OBA. Artillery proved devastating as it was in the real war, so this is really bad luck for the Axis.

Also the activation makes sure the defenders pop up right in the pass of any player guided attack. I suppose the Axis will need some more support from me as soon as they decide its time to counter attack. As for now I get the impression that - with some help from me when I take the role of Axis command - the Axis is giving the Russians a good fight. And so far its been fun to play the game this way.

Cheers
Elmo

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry to necro this thread but this is pretty interesting idea. I've been working on a couple campaigns, 1 western and one eastern front and was looking for a way to tweak them so that at some point they could be played using SASL for those that fancy that format. I'll re-read your blog and see what I can glean from it. Thanks.