Orerekya Breakout: No Three.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well it's been two weeks. Yesterday was game day. The two Rumanian fortified builds still hold out, but theur existence is precarious. They are at the row house at R4 and the "tower" at U5. The game started with rule modifications applied retroactively. The 447 rider on the immobile Stuart in T5 failed its morale check after being hit by the 20L. And broke bailing off the tank. Reducing to a 237. A surrounded Rumanian crew and a Russian 447 were eliminated for failure to rout. We usually do not go back if mistakes are made, but if there is a serious dispute we do so. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rally phase for the Russians went well. Two 628 with FT both rallied. Bodes well for the next Russian turn two weeks from now. A Soviet half squad entered the immobilized German Panzer 3 J at P4. The tank MG are turned the wrong way, but the main Gun is still functional. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve's big prep fire started off extremely well. His big stack in the row house fortified building caused a K3 on a big stack of Russians, killing the 237 which had routed after failing the morale check on the tank and an additional 447. Luckly both the 9-1 and a 628 engineered escaped to die tie system to determine loses. The rest of the Rumanian pre fire was quite ineffectual. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The turn changed. And I forgot to mention the most important close combat result. A Russian fighter knocked out an Axis fighter out of the sky. That in combination with roll in the next Russian rally phase, producing three Russian fighter bombers will give the Russian air superiority! Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But I am jumping ahead of the crucial Russian defensive fire phase. The 9-2 Russian leader, who has been accused of being a coward by my ally Don, finally shot four MGs. He rolled a 12, breaking two of them. All other of the large MG attacks on the fortified building at U5 were no results. Finally the Stuart in bypass with its MG gets a three morale check on the Russian stack! Don rolled snake-eyes! Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Rumanian 9-1 leader becomes Berserk on a HOB roll. He converts a 347 and a 247. The 247 with the HMG fails to convert and ELRs to a 137 on the 3MC. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A day of wonder today. Two addendums from the last session. We rolled for bailing off caused by my turning the turret. Both the 9-1 and 458 survived the experience. We had a dispute about changing area target type to infantry target type and maintaining acquisition modifiers. Don's 105 had maintained rate of fire. The shot missed. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We started off rolling badly. The 24 plus four against the fortified stone building yielded a pin result on one 537 Rumanian engineer squad. The various Guns yielded no results. We moved our 76* and the captured 37L into the building forward. But before that was the critical rolls. The first shot was a captured Rumanian FT, which broke when firing against a stubborn German 247 in a Stone Building. The shot by the Soviet infantry did yield a pun result, however. And we successfully used ASL Sleaze to prevent this unit from firing outside of its hex. But the other captured Rumanian FT had far more success. Don rolled a four, causing a heavy morale check on the fortified building stack. The 8-1 leader and all three squads broke! We subsequently surrounded the broken units, forcing a surrender in the rally phase. Both fortified building have been lost. The other fortified building has a broken 137 half squad with. HMG as well as a berserk 9-1 with a squad and two half squads which are also Beserk. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
And we successfully used ASL Sleaze to prevent this unit from firing outside of its hex.
As an aside on terminology, you probably used VBM Bypass Freeze Sleaze here. There are many ASL sleazes, VBM Bypass Freeze Sleaze being but one.

JR

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The road to the church and the other two stone buildings appears open. Steve did manage to kill both an 8-1 leader and a 527 with a snake-eyes on an 11-1 with his 9-2 leader with. HMG and a squad. Steve infiltrated into the church with his German forces while the 9-2 and HMG moved off board as it was being fired upon from two sides and a Soviet FT stopped it's progress into that stone building. I left for the bus, but the action continued with the heroic charge of the Berserker stack from U4. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, JR. I do not understand the differences. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Berserker stack shook off all of the infantry fire with fine MC rolls by Steve. However, when the stack entered a wooden building with a 527 and a captured 37L, Don's 105 rolled a three on the infantry target type and killed everyone on the subsequent roll. I have yet to do my defensive fire from my 105s on the hill. Next session.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I forgot to add that the air war combat continues. An Axis fighter damaged a Soviet fighter. Also a Soviets fighter bombers shot down an Axis fighter bomber. There is now a 5 to 3 advantage in airplanes for the Soviet side. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry for not posting earlier the conclusion to the campaign game. The Soviets advanced on the church from all sides. We shot them to pieces, breaking every German and Rumanian squad. The climax was when Steve moved squads to the second floor of the church. This enabled my killer MG nest to break both squads. There was no close combat. Steve surrendered. Uncle Bill had gone into assisted living with his wife, and could not attend the final few sessions. Tim