Orerekya Breakout: No Three.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The first 527 is missed by the 81 mm mortar. The second 527 is also missed by the second mortar. Both of mortars are guided by a spotter in the steeple.
A single Spotter may spot for more than one MTR, but the MTRs must be in the same hex and fire at the same target [C9.3].

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I vaguely remember the thread I started about spotters and multiple mortars. I thought that the only restriction was the stoppage of acquisition by the first mortar. Not sure we can fix this issue until next session. Don hopes to take out all of the Rumanian Guns. He is not sure if his forces can take the church unless my right flank attack works. So far the very limited movements of my forces there..two 527s... have been crushed. My flank attack started far in back of the push in the village itself because of the difficulty of moving over the large and thickly wooded hill in the last session. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I omitted the story of Reno's command and his attack on the plain leading into the woods. Which was amazingly quite successful. Not sure where going into the woods will lead because we will simply withdraw into the fortified factory. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 9-2 leader and two squads under a concealment counter moved into the woods Adjacent to the former HIP 447 and LMG. However, there was another 447 and LMG Adjacent to the first stack. So we had a 12 plus 1 against the German stack. A 1 morale check was passed by all units in the hex. In his defensive fire a 9-1 leader and two squads with a MMG broke one the Russian 447s and the 9-2 leader stack broke the other Russian 447. One of the 447s routed back behind a stronger line of Russian units. Don explained to the aggressive Steve that the first two HIP 447s were only a trip wire. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I left the mansion at 1 PM to get the bus. I am a methodical player, wary of risks and ambushes. Don is of the opposite character, instinctively aggressive and risk taking. Not my style of ASL. I am wary of advancing into a stack of concealment counters, for instance. I left before the advancing failure phase and advance phase. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don pushed a 447 into the street under the Stuart tank. The three concealed units of a Rumanian stack did not shot. Don advanced into the concealed stack. All were dummies. He also pushed a 9-1 leader and a unit into the street two hexes from a 20L AA Gun. I would have done neither of these two movements. It gives the berserker 227 a target in a wooden building rather than forcing him into the street to charge two Adjacent Stuarts, each with a 527 underneath them. But I lack those aggressive instincts of my allegedly imaginary ally. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of Don's rationals for closing with Rumanians is that Steve's remaining two fighters face the consequences of mistaken attacks against his own units. Hopefully my roll for planes will yield results next turn. Each side choose both fighters and fighter bombers this session.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those following on the campaign game map, the Rumanian Beserk 227 is in hex R5 and the aggressively pushed Soviet 447 is in hex Q4. The 9-1 and an unknown to me Soviet unit is in P5. The two CE Stuart tanks are in Q5 and R6. The Rumanian 20L is in P4. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve was at least 45 minutes late, and we only had two hours and 15 minutes to play on Saturday, March 17th. I finished my advance phase, and we proceeded to Rumanian/ German rally phase of turn two. Steve rolled for airplanes and got three fighter bombers. Looked ominous. Both sides rallied all units with leaders.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve used his Prep Fire, killing a Soviet 248 holding a HMG. A normal morale proved fatal when a 12 MC was rolled. His remaining 81 mm mortar was not effective. His 50 mm mortar broke down. The most eventful part of the turn was his movement. His prep fire had pinned a 628 engineer with a FT with a 9-1 leader in the street. Bloodthirsty Steve thought this was his opportunity to not only kill a Stuart with Bounding Fire but also overrun the unit with the FT. Don's Stuart turned it's turret shot the Panzer 3 J, but failed to kill it. However, we had two ATR in the buildings, and the first one used a DI, following a four hull hit. The crew bails from the tank. Don shoots and killed the German crew. An 18 minus 1 if I remember correctly. Meanwhile, nearly his whole German command in the woods on his right retreats off board and begins a CX journey to the area of the church and village. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At the start of the turn two Soviet rally phase I rolled for aircraft. I got two fighters, but failed to get our fighter bombers.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our Prep Fire by the 105s and 76* on the surrounding hills was quite successful. We broke not only the crew on the last 81mm mortar but also also the crew of the 20L on the left side of the village, as well as the 247 spotter in the steeple. A Four plus four on the fortified building with the Rumanian HMG pinned the 247 with the HMG as well as another 247 squad. Another Rumanian 347 was unaffected. Both units had HIP earlier but had been revealed by a morale check. This two story fortified building is our main objective in the next two turn. We suspended the game just at the start of the start of the Soviet movement phase. A few units were moved but we had a dispute over airplanes and LOS, which has been answered. A Soviet engineer was broken by a 247 half squad which assault moved Adjacent with evil intent. The swarm of Soviet squads (40 to 50) hope to overwhelm the Rumanian defenders in the village. The bulk of the German units transferring off board opened a path for the ten Soviet squads in the woods on the right to CX toward the village. Only two German half squads remain in their path, and one of which has already defensive first fired. We also have three Stuarts with with 447s and two good leaders riding toward the battle from off board. A half dozen unbroken or so Rumanian squads remain in the village awaiting our onslaught. An Rumanian FT and a HMG remain hidden. Five Axis planes, some of which will be challenged by our fighters, will attempt to thwart our advance. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well our surging infantry finally came to grips with the Romanian infantry. The bulk of the German infantry (6 and 1/2 467 squads, HMG, MMG, 2 LMG, 9-2 and two 9-1s) are still at least a turn away from the left side of the village. Our tanks and not our infantry were the heroes of the day. I had predicted to Don that the path through the Rumanian line may contain an HIP stack. And indeed there was three Rumanian elite 447s in a fortified building there. Our 9-1 and 628 with a FT ventured Adjacent. The 628 broke. Also a 527 broke. Too hard to remember and relate all what happened with the infantry assault. But 8 squads were broken, two of which were reduced to 426s. None were killed. Steve's two fighters jumped our two fighters. Leaving him with three fighter bombers. However, none of them killed any of the two tanks lined up in a row. Two of the three fighters bombers dropped their bombs, but none hit anything. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have five Stuart tanks left of the six we started the session with. The first tank overran an already broken 20L crew, becoming Adjacent to a big stack of Rumanian infantry in a building on the left side of the village. On the far left a rear guard of a 247 with a light mortar in a Craig hex on a ridge was broken. A tank and two infantry squads failed to kill it. Another 247 stood bravely in a Stone Building out in the middle of nowhere on the left. On the right side, we tried to introduce Steve to "ASL Sleaze," but the tank started the turn BU. We argued that although this was not the traditional type of "ASL Sleaze," the stack of Rumanian infantry could not fire Subsequence First Fire at our infantry because we were in the same hex with the stack. All week Don and I talked of taking out the 20L position on the right side. After the GUn fired elsewhere, we decided to overrun it! The first Stuart rode into battle. The first tank and it's rider 447 was immobilized by a nice dice roll in the Adjacent hex. Crew bailed out. The second tank, with time with a rider 447 and an 8-1 leader, successfully broke the crew and ride past him. We stopped there, after Rumanian rout phase and before our rout and advance phase. Counter congestion was an issue. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
On the right side, we tried to introduce Steve to "ASL Sleaze," but the tank started the turn BU. We argued that although this was not the traditional type of "ASL Sleaze," the stack of Rumanian infantry could not fire Subsequence First Fire at our infantry because we were in the same hex with the stack.
I believe you are talking about VBM sleaze. Whether it can be performed with a friendly BU, CT AFV depends on the situation. Enemy units may not fire out of their own Location if an friendly unit (EXC: a truck) in it, including a BU CT AFV [A7.212]. A friendly unit in the same hex but not in the same Location prevents the enemy from firing out of the hex only if the enemy unit is eligible for TPBF. That only happens with vulnerable PRC on an AFV when the enemy units are higher [A7.211]. If a friendly CT AFV in the hex but not in the Location it must be CE for the enemy to be eligible for TPBF and so unable to fire out of the hex (even though there is no enemy unit in their Location).

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, We understood that issue about not restricting defensive first fire, but if the defenders in the building had all defensive first fire fired, I argued that subsequent first fire could not be fired out side of the hex, owing to the BU tank bypassing the building hex. Perhaps, I was wrong. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JR, We understood that issue about not restricting defensive first fire, but if the defenders in the building had all defensive first fire fired, I argued that subsequent first fire could not be fired out side of the hex, owing to the BU tank bypassing the building hex. Perhaps, I was wrong.
That is probably correct. An enemy unit may not SFF if there is a friendly unit at closer range, and range zero due to a unit in bypass is hard (but not impossible) to beat. If other friendly units (besides the bypass CT, BU AFV) enter the hex they are potential targets. I don't think I have heard of anyone referring to this as a "sleaze." It's just how SFF works.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, Well we had intended to "Sleaze," but Don failed to make the tank CE. He did not understand. Steve objected. I concurred with his objection. First time for both of them. I should have explained it better to Don before the movement phase. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The newly discovered HIP nest in a fortified building is R4. The other fortified building with a squad and two half squads is now behind our lines. We will hit it with at least four 20 plus attacks in our defensive fire. And continue to pound it with a 105 howitzer. The R4 building on the other had is outside our LOS for our Guns on the hills, however. We plan to use the other two 105s and the 76 on the church area. Daring stacks of Germans to enter hexes two acquired. The Rumanians blooded our nose this turn, but we lost no units. Two reduced in quality to 426s, however. And our many good leaders should soon rally our broken units. And a second wave will go into action on turn three before the Germans arrive. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JR, Well we had intended to "Sleaze," but Don failed to make the tank CE. He did not understand. Steve objected. I concurred with his objection. First time for both of them. I should have explained it better to Don before the movement phase. Tim
In order to limit SFF the tank does not have to be CE. It is still (most of the time) a closer enemy (to the DEFENDERs) unit, being at range zero. In order to prevent ordinary DFF (i.e not SFF nor FPF) for a unit in the same hex but in a higher Location a CT tank has to be CE to give the enemy units at the higher Location a TPBF target.

Note that in all these cases, although we speak about "preventing" DFF or SFF, in fact DFF and SFF are limited. A DEFENDER may not use SFF at a range > the closest KEU. It is limited by range but if that limit by range does not apply (e.g. the target is at the same or closer range than the KEU) then it may use SFF. Similarly a DEFENDER can use DFF when limited by an enemy unit in its own Location to fire at another unit in its Location, and a DEFENDER limited by having a TPBF-eligible target in its hex but not its Location it can use DFF/SFF against another target that it can use TPBF against.

JR

Last edited: