Orerekya Breakout: No Three.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Rumanian half of turn six is scary as Steve move the FFC2 on top of the Factory. It is not accurate and falls on two units and the other Stuart tank near building P6. The OBA fails miserably, breaking only one unit, and making one a Berserker. But it is of no consequence, for the session is over. Our offense not only took the Factory but three other buildings as well. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Rumanian force left include three engineer half squads and four 347s and 2 137s. Also left is a 247 spotter and two 247 half squads which possessed the HMGs. Five survive too. Two 8-1s, an 8-0, and two 7-0. One FT is left. All the MMGs have been lost. The three 20L and crews are left and one 81mm mortar with a crew. The other 81 mortar is broken and without a crew. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Soviet booty is considerable. 1 HMG. 7 MMGs, 2 FT, and one ATR. Also two 37L AT guns and a 60mm mortar. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The promotion and battle harding rolls were done by Uncle Bill and Don. Uncle Bill rolls a seven on the DR. A 7-0 is transformed into an 8-0 because there is no 8-0 left. Bill also dr rolled a 2, yielding three 347s into 447s. Don rolled 3, promoting three 447s into 458s. And a 8-1 improved to a 9-1. Don remarked that from the earliest incantations of the game to cross the street what you needed was a 9-1 or a 9-2. Tim

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well Don and Steve started the third TM. Neither Uncle Bill nor I were there. Steve has got a new job, and this was the first Saturday that he has been available. We lost most of the captured weapons. Only 4 or 5 of the 13+ captured remain. Steve bought an attack chit for the Axis. Amazingly, he bought only a German infantry platoon and a German tank platoon, off board. He did get an 9-2 leader. He has only 9 or 10 squads left today. He must have invested his remaining points in ART mods and airpower. Steve set up first out of LOS of our infantry. We will rush his position. Two Saturdays from now we will begin. Its yet to be decided who will move first. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Further addendum. Steve changed his mind about forces. I said okay, his pathetic Rumanian on board force needs all the help it receives. And the prospect of no Off board ART modules bodes well for us. He is now taking offboard, a German tank platoon, two German infantry platoons, and a German HW platoon. He rolled well for the German leaders, getting a (-2 and a 9-1. Another roll to go, for he did not know that a HW platoon got a roll too. He also replaced the 105 Rumanian with radio with fighters and two DSP points, and a replacement Rumanian crew. We will start play Saturday. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On Saturday Uncle Bill arrived early. I arrived on time. Steve arrived late. Uncle Bill completed the preliminary rolls. He rolled another 8-1 leader. Making a 9-2 and two 8-1s. He also rolled to go first. Far more important, he rolled a one to get fighters and rolled a six to get three of them. Our attack gets more difficult.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve decides to command the tanks, while Uncle Bill will command the Germans. In prep fire, Steve decides to try and use SMOKE from his 81 mortars on our 105 positions. There is no SMOKE number on the counter, and my rules taken home contain the Axis Minor notes. He fails to get SMOKE anyway, and that ends his Prep Fire Phase. We agree to resolve this issue before our next meeting.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There should be a "s8" (or another smoke depletion number) on the back of the counter.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Steve decides to command the tanks, while Uncle Bill will command the Germans. In prep fire, Steve decides to try and use SMOKE from his 81 mortars on our 105 positions. There is no SMOKE number on the counter, and my rules taken home contain the Axis Minor notes. He fails to get SMOKE anyway, and that ends his Prep Fire Phase. We agree to resolve this issue before our next meeting.
It sounds like you have the wrong Axis Minor 81mm MTR counter. The Slovokian 80mm Minomet vz. 36 is an 81mm MTR in ASL terms, has a range of [2-55], and no Smoke. The Axis Minor common counter for the Brandt M27/31 is also 81mm, but has range of [3-71] and s7. The Axis Minor common counter for the 8cm GrW 34 is again 81mm, has range [2-60] and s7. You have probably picked up the Slovak weapon. I am guessing you should be using the Axis Minor common counter, i.e. the Brandt.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve thinks his Panzer 3 J's are Tigers, rushing in with his first tank to M4. A Stuart opens up from hex P7. There is a very narrow gap between the two hex wooden building in O5 and the hex side. Hey a clear LOS. A side shot against the unsuspecting moving German tank. I roll a three to hit. (Don has me roll because I am a notorious bad dice roller.) A turret Hit increases the boxed side German armor. I roll a five. A kill! Steve dismayed. He bring two more German tanks on board in K4 and K3. Facing a Stuart directly ahead. The German tanks fail to hit in Bounding Fire. Although if the lead tank had been CE a hit would have been attained. The Stuart hit the tank but fails to penetrate. . A Soviet 76* short in the Factory fails to penetrate the Panzer 3, although Don discovered afterward that I had the wrong type of 76*, and that the Field Gun has HEAT 6.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the info on the SMOKE. Steve rolled so badly that he lost one of them. We should have researched it more closely. In the first session we had the wrong Rumanian AA gun. Which we corrected.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We let Uncle Bill proceed with the German infantry and HW platoon. He attacked into the woods on the far right side. We had a HIP 447 with a LMG and an ATR, waiting for a tank to drive by. We caught a German 467 in the open. A six down two yielded a NMC on a nine roll. He broke near the edge of the board. The rest of the German infantry force proceeded cautiously on a plain which was out of our LOS. We stopped there because Steve had some meetings. We ended before we took our defensive fire. We have an HIP 45L hidden in the brush seven and eight hexes away from his remaining pair of tanks. We will play two Saturday from now. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have no idea why Steve sent Uncle Bill into the woods on the far right instead of either reinforcing the village or the two stone buildings near the German tanks. I suggested to Don that a smart move for them would have been to place the two missing Rumanian HMGs HIP in those two buildings. We will see. I called Uncle Bill Capt. Reno. Steve being Custer sent him the wrong way! Although three German fighters stand in our way. We will see. The village looks doomed to us. Our 40 something squads eagerly await closing with the enemy. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve was on time today. Uncle Bill had other commitments. We started out with the defensive fire of of a 45L AT Gun upon a Pan 3J. First time hit the turret. 10 versus 6. 3 to kill. 4 to shock. 5 to possible Shock. Roll of 5. Steve passes the morale check with a seven. Second roll. I shook the dice, yelled snakes, and they came forth! Roll of 4. Blazing wreck. Good start for our defensive fire, but it went totally downhill after that roll. All three 105 howitzers hit their area fire targets, but all rolled high. Likewise, the two Soviet light mortars were ineffectual and the captured Rumanian 60mm mortar broke on a ten roll. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First action in our prep fire in turn one was to place SMOKE in hexes covering our approach into the village. There are two Rumanian HIP HMGs out there somewhere in the village. The killing of the tank lessened the danger of the German tank MGs. We laid SMOKE in hexes M6 and Q7. Our prep fire was totally without consequences other than converting our acquisition 1s into 2s. We may decide to shoot directly at the targets in our defensive fire of turn two. The 105 howitzers are firing from the ridges at 22 to 24 hexes at the 81 mm mortars and a 20L AA Gun so not sure that that makes mathematical sense with these short Guns, but 21 straight up sounds far more effective than 10 plus 2s. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The movement phase commences with three Stuart tanks entering from off board with riders. The rest of the nine 447s enter the board on food, some on the road, three in the clearing. The first by Don is a 458 with a LMG assaults moves from the cellar of Q6 into the street Adjacent to two concealed Rumanian units in R5 and S5. The 347 in S5 shoots both in defensive first fire and subsequent first fire at the Soviet 458 without effect. The Rumanian Engineer half squad 227 fire in defensive first fire at 4-1 without effect. But the subsequent first fire at 2-1 breaks the 458. Don starts moving his engineer 628s and 527s from the factory into the wooden building of P6 and the stone building in Q6 and R7.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don move the two reading tanks Adjacent to the Rumanian 227 and 347 in the building. The first tank breaks the 347 with its CE Bounding Fire of 8+2. But the 227 goes Berserk from the effects of the second tank's Bounding Fire. Meanwhile orders me to start the rush from the right side toward the stream. The first 527 is missed by the 81 mm mortar. The second 527 is also missed by the second mortar. Both of mortars are guided by a spotter in the steeple. A Rumanian HIP HMG appears in the ground floor of the second story stone building in U5, opening up on the first 527, breaking it, reducing it to a 426. The 20L nearby also reduces the second 527 to a 426. The 20L retains rate of fire and reduces the 426 to a 226.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve fighter killed a moving 628 engineer but whiffs on an attack of a tanks with a 447 rider. Another fighter takes out the crew of the 45L AT gun. Another aircraft rolls a 12 and goes home to base. Tim