Oregon Laminations All Metal 2.5 mm Corner Cutter

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have both the all metal and the Deluxe 2.5 mm corner cutters.

The "Deluxe" completely broke down before clipping 2,000 counters - bummer!

Now, using the all metal 2.5 mm cutter, I cannot get the nice, rounded edges I got with the so-called "Deluxe" model. Chopping off sides at worst, and, at best, getting clipped corners that look, well, ugly.

Any suggestions on technique-improvement will be most appreciated!.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

Now, using the all metal 2.5 mm cutter, I cannot get the nice, rounded edges I got with the so-called "Deluxe" model. Chopping off sides at worst, and, at best, getting clipped corners that look, well, ugly.

Replace it with toe nail clippers and a steady hand. You're welcome. -- jim :p

Abe

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I use the deluxe, but when I clip I kind of “push” it into corner with my thumb as I clip. I don’t press all the way down either as they seem to have a low malf#. People have repaired theirs with screws to squeeze a little more life out of it.

radsty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I have the 2mm all metal clipper (the pre-Deluxe one). The technique I use is to turn the clipper upside down so that I am looking into the cut-out whole and I can see the counter. Then I just make sure it is aligned properly. With a little practice you can get moving at a nice clip, and the possibility of one of those side-cuts goes way down. The counters are probably just a tad on the "too small" scale to be a perfect match for the tools, but the clippers do a great job and I have managed to get through all of my ASL stuff with them. Very happy with the results.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Cannot understand why so many manage to break them, my two have lasted for over four years Clipping over 300k of counters and both still going strong , it must be the technique used .

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had my Deluxe for years and probably clipped 8K counters with no issues. I've found that you need to lubricate with machine oil after ~6 countersheets clipped. It makes a world of difference in performance.

I was a early adopter. Perhaps the quality of the product has gone down with later production runs?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I've had my Deluxe for years and probably clipped 8K counters with no issues. I've found that you need to lubricate with machine oil after ~6 countersheets clipped. It makes a world of difference in performance.

I was a early adopter. Perhaps the quality of the product has gone down with later production runs?
I have clipped 2 complete sets of ASL counters, plus thousands of third party counters, plus thousands of Fort's counters (the bastard always gives me unclipped counters to play with and he knows I have OCD) with nail clippers. I personally never understood the fascination with these tools but then, I have who knows how many precision dice, Battle School OBA chips, etc. -- jim

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have clipped 2 complete sets of ASL counters, plus thousands of third party counters, plus thousands of Fort's counters (the bastard always gives me unclipped counters to play with and he knows I have OCD) with nail clippers. I personally never understood the fascination with these tools but then, I have who knows how many precision dice, Battle School OBA chips, etc. -- jim
Well I should send you my collection of Death Ride Kursk.....it has only 25000 little counters.... :)

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
My 2.5mm deluxe counter clipper from Oregon Laminations just broke today when I was clipping the Finns. I managed to clip thousands of counters for ASL and other games with it. I don't know, but maybe over 10,000. But now it broke. Then I just saw that the internet is full of pictures and videos with the same issue. There are even repair videos. It seems to me that this is a design flaw, because the broken part is hollow plastic. It's clear that this part cannot last forever. If You are lucky You can clip 10,000+ counters. But there are reports that the clipper broke after a few months and after about 1,000+ counters were clipped only.

I just ordered a new one. But when this breaks too, I don't know whether I buy another one or not. Very annoying.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The clipper was not made for thick cardboard. I think it was made for thin laminated paper, like business cards.
Exactly and around 7/8 years ago they were made of a far stronger material and were a lot heavier than the newer cheaper material . This info came from the Chinese manufacturer via Oregon a few years ago
My older ones have lasted for well over 10 years and between them clipped over 750,000 counters .

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My 2.5mm deluxe counter clipper from Oregon Laminations just broke today when I was clipping the Finns. I managed to clip thousands of counters for ASL and other games with it. I don't know, but maybe over 10,000. But now it broke. Then I just saw that the internet is full of pictures and videos with the same issue. There are even repair videos. It seems to me that this is a design flaw, because the broken part is hollow plastic. It's clear that this part cannot last forever. If You are lucky You can clip 10,000+ counters. But there are reports that the clipper broke after a few months and after about 1,000+ counters were clipped only.
View attachment 24565

I just ordered a new one. But when this breaks too, I don't know whether I buy another one or not. Very annoying.
It is a known flaw and issue that can happen after only a few thousand to beyond 20,000 counters (i.e. some get through clipping an entire ASL-kit without running into this, but many do).

The first Oregon Deluxe Clipper (2mm, but the mm number is of no concern regarding this) I had went down with the same issue after some 6,000 or 7,000 counters.

In the net, there are videos advising home-grown methods of how to repair it. I did not try these and they seem not very easy to do.

Here is some advice from the Oberst himself how to prolong the service-life or your Oregon Deluxe clipper. Contrary to German custom, the solution offered is not exactly elegant, but simple, quick, and low cost:

I have taped an eraser on the lower handle of the clipper. Its width is such, that it exceeds the distance in between both handles by roughly 1mm when these are fully clenched together.

This way, the eraser acts like a cushion/fender (dunno the fitting English word), which greatly reduces the impulse/power which would otherwise be exerted on the part which usually breaks off.

With compliments,

Oberst von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Exactly and around 7/8 years ago they were made of a far stronger material and were a lot heavier than the newer cheaper material . This info came from the Chinese manufacturer via Oregon a few years ago
My older ones have lasted for well over 10 years and between them clipped over 750,000 counters .
Interesting information - I did not know this.

von Marwitz

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
It seems to me that this is a design flaw, because the broken part is hollow plastic.
So the real design flaw isn't so much the plastic part, which is likely plenty strong enough to handle the leverage required to cut our cardboard counters endlessly, but rather that the handles do not have a proper stop. The result is that an arbitrarily high load can be applied to the plastic part when the handles are squeezed past the point required to cut the counter. The long term solution to prevent it breaking is what @von Marwitz posted - put in some sort of stop to prevent the handles traveling past the point required for cutting. That will keep the plastic part that broke from being subjected to high loads. I used a d6 for my stop:

Sorry to hear yours broke! Hopefully with a handle stop your second copy will last a lifetime.

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thank You all for Your responses!

I definitely will try Your suggestions with the second one I ordered today.

So, the Finns have to wait to be clipped. They sit on my table and it seems to me that they looked a little bit angry. :mad:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Since the vast majority of my ASL time is now spent via VASL, have not clipped counters in a very long time. Good luck to anybody starting from scratch with the entire system, you got a lot of counters to do...

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
So, the Finns have to wait to be clipped. They sit on my table and it seems to me that they looked a little bit angry. :mad:
Well if they are Finns, you should try the Motti method... Clip on the outside...

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 24567

I have taped an eraser on the lower handle of the clipper. Its width is such, that it exceeds the distance in between both handles by roughly 1mm when these are fully clenched together.

This way, the eraser acts like a cushion/fender (dunno the fitting English word), which greatly reduces the impulse/power which would otherwise be exerted on the part which usually breaks off.

With compliments,

Oberst von Marwitz
This is almost exactly the method I use on my Oregon clippers. I would recommend using a 'cushioning' type object such as the eraser or very high density rubber foam, rather than a solid object such as the dice depicted in another post. The eraser should be ideal. I did however position my foam stopper about another inch or so further back on the handle (in comparison to Von Marwitz' photo) which would seem to even further reduce the stress on the hinge point of the clipper. My clippers have lasted through well over several thousand counter with no sign of wear.
I hope this helps.