Orchard-Brush terrain

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Somehow in my half-conscious musings while drawing something else, I thought about what an Orchard-Brush hex would look like:

And somehow that looks really "right" to me. Have these ever been done on any map?

Rules-wise, they'd play similarly to Light Woods: +2 Hindrance, 1-level LOS obstacle, 2MF for infantry. But they'd be easier for AFVs to move through and they'd go out of season in interesting ways. Seems like an interesting option.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[They exist, too.

In childhood in the dunes of the SW Michigan “fruit belt” I once lived in a subdivision built on the bones of a former orchard (and vineyard). The unbuilt lots were very brushy w/wild sassafras.

Free tree fruit and pulpy grapes galore for days. We kids would chomp on woody pears and bring home paper grocery bags half-filled w/grape clumps from which my dad made wine …

Thanks for the remembrance.]

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I do not like these. The combination of inherent and standard imagery jars. I have no doub they are reasonable though.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
overgrown orchards or otherwise unmaintained .. we are in a war. Is that the concept that this combo is looking for?

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
They exist, I've seen them also. And in zones of Europe depopulated of working force could be more common than one could think...

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I do not like these. The combination of inherent and standard imagery jars. I have no doub they are reasonable though.
In this combo, I'd make the case that it defaults as "non-inherent" - it all depends on how the Chapter B entry is worded. I've always wanted to try this combo on map designs.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Somehow in my half-conscious musings while drawing something else, I thought about what an Orchard-Brush hex would look like:

View attachment 23705

And somehow that looks really "right" to me. Have these ever been done on any map?

Rules-wise, they'd play similarly to Light Woods: +2 Hindrance, 1-level LOS obstacle, 2MF for infantry. But they'd be easier for AFVs to move through and they'd go out of season in interesting ways. Seems like an interesting option.
Best new terrain since debris.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States

The Orchard circles might need a highlight/border of some kind.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Isn't an orchard woods without brush and brush woods without trees?
Wouldn't orchard-brush terrain be comparable with light woods?

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As per the OP, you get some seasonality from the Orchard part of the hybrid.

There'd be Rider affects, too. D6.21.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only real difference I see would be that Brush is an Inherent terrain feature.

[EDIT] As is Orchard for that matter.

Last edited:

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only real difference I see would be that Brush is an Inherent terrain feature.
I'm not sure it'd need to be.

A ground-level LOS clipping only Orchard of a hypothetical Orchard/Brush hex could be ruled to get only the +1 Orchard hindrance.
One clipping both could be ruled a +2 hindrance.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the best way to do this is to just make it a new terrain type, call it light woods or whatever is suitable, ( but not orchard brush) and write rules for that new terrain type. Artwork can be different, solves the inherent / not inherent issue, and avoids possible rules conflict / meshing questions entirely.

Would be nice to see some printed boards with new terrain types and also overlays for those new types.

I know that various publishers have done light wood in various ways before. Having an official standard one with actual artwork would be great!

In general I think that Orchard is actually a catch all for areas with sparse trees, not necessarily always actual orchards.

Along these lines I would like to see more designers using SSR for Forest and Pine Woods.

Seth

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
^^^ I thought there was some form of light woods in the RB, but looked in the Index and didn't find it. 👍

Seth

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
^^^ I thought there was some form of light woods in the RB, but looked in the Index and didn't find it. 👍

Seth
Same here but I kind of remembered a scenario in HP that had light woods. I believe that's when it was added to the ASLRB and I don't believe the INDEX has been updated much since that Module was issued.