Optional Rules on HPS Games

Pirimeister

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Hi!

I know there's an article describing in detail the effects of all Optional Rules in HPS' Panzer Campaigns series of games, which is very handy to decide how to best play the game.

My question: is there anything similar for the Napoleon's Campaigns and the Modern Battles series? Or can we take the tips for the PzCpg and apply them 100% to these two series?

Any info on this would be nice!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by Pirimeister
My question: is there anything similar for the Napoleon's Campaigns and the Modern Battles series? Or can we take the tips for the PzCpg and apply them 100% to these two series?
I can't speak for the Napoleonic Series and while it is a Tiller game with the similarities that most Tiller games has, I don't think the Nappy Series has as much in common with the PzC and Modern Campaign.

The main difference in PzC and MC is that MC does not have the Alternative Fire Resolutions (four Optional Alt Fire Rules I mean - nor does it have Locking ZOCs as a features.)

When Low Vis Air Affects was added to PzC, it was felt that modern aircraft would not suffer this to the same degree as WWII aircraft. And of course there is no Nuclear Termination in PzC Series.

Apart from these, the Optional Supply Rules, Arty Setup, Indirect Fire by Map and some of the others have exactly the same function - but whether they would be treated exactly the same way is another point. For example we created the Limit Air Recon Rule mainly because in MG44 a resourceful tester found that he could get around our OOB Structure and use the Powerful Allied Air Forces in Support of the Airborne as long has he first used an Air Recon mission to spot the target.

In a two hour turn with slower aircraft in WWII, it is stretch to suggest this would be possible and in fact it didn't happen. But Modern Campaigns has three hour turns, faster Aircraft and improved modern communcation. So perhaps this is a good rule for PzC and not one you would want to use in MC. But it is there if you want in.

Glenn

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
What sort of info are you looking for relating to the Nappy series? That's more my cup of tea than the PZC games. Glenn is the one to cover the PZC & MC series of titles.

Pirimeister

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Well, manly I would like to understand better how there optional rules work for Nappy games:

Coumn pass through fire

Melee terrain modifiers

Target density modifier

Weak zone of control

Optional Melee results

If one was to go with "as faithfull as possible" motto, which ones of these would be checked?

As for MC, Glenn was very helpfull with his post.

Cheers!

rahamy

Reaction score
I'll get a reply up to you soon, been having a few busy days here...maybe tomorrow! :D

rahamy

Reaction score
Originally posted by Pirimeister
Well, manly I would like to understand better how there optional rules work for Nappy games:

Ok, finally have some time to answer this...

Coumn pass through fire

Artillery Pass-Through fire effects apply to Infantry in Column formation as well as Infantry in Line formation. So when you fire at a hex that has more than one infantry unit in it, the results of your fire are applied to each one.

Melee terrain modifiers

Selecting this has the terrain modifier of the defending hex applied to melee results. So if a unit is behind an embankment that value would be added to it's defensive value, thereby increasing it's chance of a successful defense.

Target density modifier

Select this to have the fire value affected by the total number of men in the target hex. When the target hex has more than 1200 men in it, then the fire value against units in this affect is multiplied by Total/1200 where Total is the total number of men in the target hex. So basically, the more men you have packed into a smaller area, the greater damage is going to occur when fire is directed at them.

Weak zone of control

This allows units to move one hex through an enemy Zone-Of-Control per turn and to allow units to retreat one hex through enemy Zone-Of-Control. This way a unit isn't eliminated as easily.

Optional Melee results

The resulting melee casualty values are based on the average of two default melee casualties. This has the effect of reducing the variation in casualty values. Using this makes the losses a bit more predictable.

If one was to go with "as faithfull as possible" motto, which ones of these would be checked?

Cheers!
Personally I use all optional rules with the exception of:

Manual Defensive Fire
Rout Limiting
Optional Fire Results
Optional Melee Results

I think all the rest add more realism to the game. If you still have more questions please feel free to send me an e-mail.

Regards,
Rich

Pirimeister

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Thanks, rahamy! This is really helpfull. This way I can get my napoleonics "right":D :thumb:

Cheers!
Paulo

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by rahamy
Personally I use all optional rules with the exception of:

Manual Defensive Fire
Rout Limiting
Optional Fire Results
Optional Melee Results

I think all the rest add more realism to the game. If you still have more questions please feel free to send me an e-mail.

Regards,
Rich
Thanks