Opportunity Fire. When?

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am in the process of making the leap from the ASLSK to full blown ASL, taking advantage of "Eight Steps to ASL: A Programmed Instruction Approach". Lesson One introduces a new concept; Opportunity Fire. I understand the rule itself, but could someone elaborate on how they have used Opportunity Fire in the past or explain a situation where one would take advantage of it.

Thanks for the help,
Jesse

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You can declare OF if you are about to strip the enemy of his concealment (e.g. by searching his hex with a HS during your MPh) : in AFPh you can blast him at full swing, rather than attempt an Area Fire attack during PFPh...
This is the most current use of OF, I believe.
Perhaps would I also declare OF on Infantry not stacked with a leader, so as to let a good leader (i. e. negative leadership) come in the location during MPh, so as to direct a more deadly attack - but this is less frequent, I belive...
OF can also keep the enemy on his guard : e.g. make him hesitate fire with concealed units during DFF or DFPh, as he risks some punishment doing it... But that is risky : most of the time, he will take the risk, won't he? :roll:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You can declare OF if you are about to strip the enemy of his concealment (e.g. by searching his hex with a HS during your MPh) : in AFPh you can blast him at full swing, rather than attempt an Area Fire attack during PFPh...
This is the most current use of OF, I believe.
Perhaps would I also declare OF on Infantry not stacked with a leader, so as to let a good leader (i. e. negative leadership) come in the location during MPh, so as to direct a more deadly attack - but this is less frequent, I belive...
OF can also keep the enemy on his guard : e.g. make him hesitate fire with concealed units during DFF or DFPh, as he risks some punishment doing it... But that is risky : most of the time, he will take the risk, won't he? :roll:

Zugman

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Opportunity Fire

I will often use OF if I'm using a LATW (PF/Bazooka) w/backblast and am in a building. If you feel you can survive the/any defensive fire, it is a great way to lose the +2 modifer for being in a building and have a better chance at taking out that pesky AFV :)

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's an entire thread on this subject in this forum. Search for it, and you'll find what everybody has suggested, and no one will have to post things twice...

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
There's an entire thread on this subject in this forum. Search for it, and you'll find what everybody has suggested, and no one will have to post things twice...
The search didn't seem to bring up any threads with topics specifically stating Opportunity Fire. If you know of one that is related, please let me know the link and I will check it out. Wasn't my intention to have people post multiple responses.

Jesse

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jshultis said:
pitman said:
The search didn't seem to bring up any threads with topics specifically stating Opportunity Fire. If you know of one that is related, please let me know the link and I will check it out. Wasn't my intention to have people post multiple responses.

Jesse
Sorry... Just found it.

If anyone is intersted;

http://www.asl-forums.net/main/viewtopic.php?t=1466&highlight=opportunity+fire

Thanks for the lead!

Jesse