Opportunity Fire - when to use?

Zoetrope

Reaction score
First name
Adrian
Country
llAustralia
Hi,

The subject says it all, really - in what sort of circumstances would you want to use Opp Fire?

Thanks!

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Zoetrope said:
The subject says it all, really - in what sort of circumstances would you want to use Opp Fire?
It is rare that I use Opp Fire. Typically, it is when I have medium sized kill stack (something like a -1 leader directing 8-12 FP) that is suffering under CX or whose targets are concealed. Since I also normally use very little prep fire the circumstances probably also include short range and lots of maneuver elements at my disposal.

sdkfz

Reaction score
First name
Rowland
Country
llUnited States
While I do not take advantage of it as much as I should/could I typically use it when there is a concealed stack that I need to clear out and I am aiming for close combat as a final resort in this player turn.

This way the unit I am assaulting has the choice of the concealed status for CC but no fire opp or the opposite. Of course the other enemy units and their fire opps all come into play, I rarely seem to be able to have the luxury of a lone unsupported unit to assualt.

I will be more likely to use it if my units can get adjacent concealed and especially if I am stealthy and they are not for the bush roll.

Zoetrope

Reaction score
First name
Adrian
Country
llAustralia
I see, so it makes your opponent think twice about dropping Concealment during the DFPh. Thanks.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Opp fire

Opportunity fire is best used when facing concealed enemy units in a position they have to hold. Your kill stack declares opportunity fire. Then strip their concealment by forcing them to fire at other units moving to a high value position or run a half squad into their hex. Assault movement bump is preferred.

However if it is case of dueling kill stacks I think you are better off firing first even if he is concealed.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the basic tenets of good ASL play is to move as much as possible. As a result, experienced players tend to do relatively little prep firing and even less opportunity fire.

However, there are times when opportunity fire can be useful. Several people above mentioned one possibility--waiting until somehow concealment is stripped from an enemy unit.

Another possibility is the "lone unit." Say you have a 2-3-7 half squad adjacent to an enemy unit in a stone building. You can take a 4+3 prep fire, but that's not a great shot. On the other hand, you may be able to move more units adjacent in your movement phase, which could then firegroup with the 2-3-7 for a more effective shot. So you opp fire the 2-3-7 so that he can combine at full strength with the units which hopefully will come up later.

Another possibility is the unit toting a Panzerschreck or Bazooka. If you opp fire them, you can take a shot with them while they are in a building without the +2 penalty for avoiding backblast.

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark pointed me over here from CSW, where the subject of OF has also come up.

I commented that I've only had one guy in seven years of FTF play ever use OF against me, and that I've never used it myself.

I am glad this discussion has come up, and thank Mark for pointing it out to me ... it's definitely food for thought next time I play.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mick Essex on CSW also pointed out that OF can be very useful at night, when gunflashes may make an enemy unit visible beyond NVR (or, even better, if they bugger up their starshell placement).A slight variant on the concealment removal option. I don't want to steal his thunder, but I'm not sure whether he posts here...

I've most often seen OF used when there's a kill stack at long range waiting for unconcealed targets to become available, and that only really happens in RB. Sometimes also in combination with VBM freeze.

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said it in passing but using OF to negate your stack being CX and not losing ROF is also a good way to use OF. Since the OF occurs after the MPh the CX is removed before the shot is taken. This is the way I have seen OF used most against me.

WinningerR

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Opportunity Fire can be very effective when used in conjunction with the rules for Searching.

Basically: You're on the offensive. Your kill stack is staring at a concealed enemy stack. You declare Opportunity Fire with your kill stack and then move a convenient HS up adjacent to the enemy:

1) If he fires at the HS, he's now unconcealed and your kill stack can blast him at full FP during the AFPh.

2) If he doesn't fire at the HS, you declare a Search Attempt and (in all likelihood) strip his Concealment anyway, allowing you to blast him at full FP during the AFPh.

Sure, you sacrifice the HS -- but the trade-off is often worthwhile.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or, even simpler, "bump" the concealed unit and at least one unit will lose concealment.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WinningerR said:
I'm not a big fan of searching. It is usually easier to simply move into the hext to try to strip concealment. It is necessary sometimes to search (PTO comes to mind), but when I do it it is the automatic loss of a HS, or I roll 6 and nothing happens.

WinningerR

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<I>I'm not a big fan of searching. It is usually easier to simply move into the hext to try to strip concealment. It is necessary sometimes to search (PTO comes to mind), but when I do it it is the automatic loss of a HS, or I roll 6 and nothing happens.</I>

Fair enough--though Searching has some occasional advantages (the ability to reveal an entire stack; etc).

I was sort of surprised to see this topic -- Opportunity Fire crops up quite a bit in our games (usually in some variation on the basic tactic I described above).

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said:
WinningerR said:
I'm not a big fan of searching. It is usually easier to simply move into the hext to try to strip concealment. It is necessary sometimes to search (PTO comes to mind), but when I do it it is the automatic loss of a HS, or I roll 6 and nothing happens.
I agree searching is necessary in the PTO, especially against the Japanese, but I really hate being TI for the rest of the turn.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PTO is my favorite theater and I'm sure I've played over a hundred PTO scenarios. I'm pretty good at PTO. I can remember searching only once. However, perhaps they are more needed with caves (I haven't played any caves scenarios).

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hmm. I tend to worry about hidden Japanese HS popping up in my backfield and cutting rout paths or retaking objectives, so I often have a few units tasked with searching for them.

Then again, I don't get to play PTO very much, so I'm no expert... (like I am on ETO, honest!) :?

NoPrisoners

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OF, like Gun Duels, is one of the 'tricks' that doesn't find a use in every scenario, that is nevertheless there for the rare occasion where its use is relevant.
I've never found myself in a position to declare a GD, and I've only OFed a couple of times. As others have said several times now, I too have OFed against stacks which either lost ? or were softened up prior by someone toting a DC.
It's good to OF if you and your opponent have kill-stacks opposite each other, and concealed. Running a unit out (hopefully with a DC) and vectoring the unit toward your opponents Concealed kill-stack will make that one think hard about which attack to face. Ugly choice either way, and a good reason to declare OF.

NP

mgenberg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Use of Opportunity Fire will depend on the tactical situation. Are you --
- assaulting a known position? Then look for your base of fire (Prep)
- moving to contact (unsure of enemy)? Use your infantry overwatch (OF).

I find it personally helpful to determine what the situation is I'm facing, thinking about what tactical choices I should be making, and then deciding the individual unit actions. Or at least that's my goal until I fail my personal morale check.