Opportunity fire War of 1812

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am playing a campaign game PBEM. I am the British player and find that the US fires in excess of 2 and 3 times per unit, on opportunity fire. I don't understand that engine. Since on the attack, a company can fire only once, then why would a company, on defensive fire, be allowed to fire three times as much? I am aware that opportunity fire is half of regular attack fire, but realistically, some guns and companies are firing each and everytime one of my company's move. Very frustrating and it only allows me to march in column as fast as possible and close in for a melee. There is a definite disadvantage here.

Reaction score
As Rich is the Scenario Designer, he probably has a better idea of JT's thinking in setting the engine this way. I'm actually rather used to it (it's true for Nap and ACW games also, just more obvious in EAW with the higher counter density).

The problem with setting a limit of one or two defensive fires per unit is that would encourage "dancing" to draw fire. For instance, a unit in X line (lights, militia or indians), is not very vunerable to fire. Thus, you send one of those units, have it "dance around" in front of an enemy stack, and "pull their teeth". (The same would work in the Nap game with skirms). Thus, the decision has been made not to "limit" the potential Defensive Fires.

The other option, is that it is possible to set the game to run in phases, where you have a discrete Defensive fire phase, where each unit fires once, at full strength, after movement. (Followed by offensive fire and melee). There are certain advantages to that approach as well, as it prevents Panzer tactics, but on the other hand, it does promote PanzerBush tactics.

(Note: I'm the US player in this game... of course Danny is well aware of thisk just telling anyone else on the thread.)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't recall but if the EAW engine models the ACW engine then you will have some units that may not fire at all so in the end it should somewhat balance out.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
In addition to the comments that have already been made, there's things you can do to prevent the amount of opportunity fire you draw, such as moving in stacks, adjusting your facing when you are still out of range, etc.

Personally I find the current system to be fine, as a defender in a stationary position will be in a better situation to deliver multiple shots in a five minute period as opposed to units on the move during that same time frame. Reducing it any less would give the attacker more of an advantage, which would be unrealistic. (Not to say the current, or any, system is completely realistic mind you...) :smoke:

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK I see what you guys mean, but Rich, even when the attacker is inline, not moving, he still fires only one volley. In any event, I'll just have to learn to play around it.

rahamy

Reaction score
True, but that's equivalent to 2 defenders vollies. :laugh:

You'll get the hang of it, but it is a big jump from the PZC games, for sure. :cool:

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the panzer titles you can draw fire and then bring up a boatload of units and melee the stack once you know its done firing. Arty is the only unknown: have you drawn all of the arty fire?

Note that D fire IS halved.

Here are some more tips not mentioned:

1. Form a line that blocks LOS to your back ranks and move them second.
2. Move officers WITH your units - dont move them into hexes after your units have moved as that draws fire.

I have a couple of others but gotta run ...

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
And how many times can one unit D fire? Is there a limit programmed based on some sort of calculation?

rahamy

Reaction score
There is no limit, and the details behind how a unit conducts this are specifically not published to reduce the chances of people trying to "soak off" the defensive fire and then attack with other forces.