Opinions

Jose Luis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi to alls: :)

I wrote this post in Blitz, but so far no one seems interested in giving their opinion, so I decided to post here also.

I wish to express my opinion about this game.

When the series Musket and Pike appeared, I got great news, because it is one of my favorite historical periods, together with the Antiquity and Middle Ages, but after several battles I am a little disappointed with the way the game is to address the issue of castle sieges or fortress. :upset:

I do not agree that the only way to storm a castle is coming in the door, they figure, "knock, knock, knock, we are the enemy, please let us pass?"
sounds ridiculous, right? :clown:

In my opinion it should improve the gameplay, allowing the artillery to demolish walls, as in the series Napoleonic artillery can destroy bridges. It would also be interesting to have some means to create elements to scale the walls, as occurs in the series Ancient. :cool:

Another aspect to improve would provide firepower to the "Thirds", formed a bloc, as with his famous "sleeves" of handguns.

Should also allow a unit is deployed entirely in skirmish mode, you can regroup without having to leave a small unit formed into a column. I find it funny to give orders to a column of five men.

The portraits of Generals of the Napoleonic series, please remove all traces of the game in the series. :(

Please feedback and suggestions are only constructively to improve the gaming experience. :blab:

I look forward a new series title. :laugh:

Thanks, and sorry for my grammar. My mother tongue is not English.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
In my opinion it should improve the gameplay, allowing the artillery to demolish walls, as in the series Napoleonic artillery can destroy bridges. It would also be interesting to have some means to create elements to scale the walls, as occurs in the series Ancient. :cool:
That may happen one day, a decent amount of coding work to make it happen though.

Should also allow a unit is deployed entirely in skirmish mode, you can regroup without having to leave a small unit formed into a column. I find it funny to give orders to a column of five men.
Its simply the parent unit they regroup to. This won't change, not worth spending time coding to allow them to break all the way down and then reform when the functionality already exists.

The portraits of Generals of the Napoleonic series, please remove all traces of the game in the series. :(
If you have period images other than what is already in the game please submit them to Support at hpssims.com and we'll see about including them.

Please feedback and suggestions are only constructively to improve the gaming experience. :blab:

I look forward a new series title. :laugh:

Thanks, and sorry for my grammar. My mother tongue is not English.
Always glad to hear feedback, and your English is fine - no worries!

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The game wouldn't even need to be changed to destroy walls; all you'd have to do is let units cross HIGH hexsides with a massive melee penalty and all movement. That'd make the siege scenarios properly useable in both REN and the Nappy series.

AJHeneghan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Confused in Chicago
Well, I have been playing the game for over a year now and I still am unable to storm fortresses or any other walled city. This evening I tried to storm the Lodi gates with 1300 men against 200 enemy troops guarding it and I was turned back ( Only lost 5 men to his 0). I have tried & tried but no luck.
Also, can any one give me an clue on how to push back enemy blocked pikemen with my friendly blocked pikemen? The best odds one can get is 1 to 1 and losses are so slim there is very little value in attacking.
Finally why is the casualty rate so low in pike to pike combat ? Everything I have read says combat between clashing pikemen was a slaughter pen.

hrik

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Since pikemen can only attack in block formation, it may be worthwhile re-equipping them with just swords for siege assault type scenarios (something that could be done for the next patch), although historically Swiss pikemen often refused to act as storming parties, so any Swiss units would probably remain as pikemen.

Allowing guns (and perhaps units too) to damage walls in the same way as bridges would certainly be a very useful feature, so hopefully it's something that might be added for the next title in the series. Also pioneer type units (and maybe any other infantry units) might be able to repair walls, as well as damage them.

Successfully attacking enemy pike blocks with friendly blocked pikemen can be tricky. Try to get as good odds as you can by adding leaders to the melee and attempting to disrupt the enemy block first, also it's better to attack a flank/rear hex-side (unlike Nappy squares, a block does have flanks).

The casualty rate is hard-coded and I'm not really sure how exactly it's calculated.

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
None of our series really is intended to model sieges. That is the first thing I wanted to mention. What a designer could do is have one of the HIGH wall sections changed in the Map Editor to a WALL hexside. That would portray that section of the wall that artillery had worked over.

Sieges took a long time to work and they could be lifted by the approach of an enemy army. The Campaign Engine would be a great tool for sieges. Branches could be used to portray the effects of the siege and battles could be inserted to portray things like the defender sallying forth or an attempt by a force to lift the siege via a small to medium action at some other point (or a large battle ...).

There are more creative ways to portray sieges and their effects other than having John Tiller recode the engine. Just takes a small investment of time ..

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Personally, I'd rather the designers made all HIGH hexsides walls and then just change the PDT for that scenario to make them REALLY hard to cross. Even the players could do the PDT bit to their own tastes.

It'd make the siege scenrios more valuable, even though as Rock says, they are not meant to be used this way.