Opinions requested: Overand vs Peninsula

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone have an opinion on a pair of new JTS Civil War offerings ?
Can't decide whether to go with Campaign Overland, or Campaign Peninsula.
Have you purchased or played either or both ? What did you think ?
Many thanks for your thoughts.
Old Dog

Talon_XbmcX

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just getting into Civil War gaming myself. I haven't gotten any of the JTS Civil War series yet (do have almost all of the Pzc and the Pzb series) ... any that you would recommend as a good place to start?

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it's hard to get that one wrong.
I'd suggest either of two possibilities: go with the battle you've heard most about, or go chronologically and start with Bull Run. First and Second Bull Run (or Manasas) are included in the Campaign Antietam game.
I assume that Gettysburg is probably the best known battle.
I'd suggest some studying too. "Killer Angels" is fictional, but it won a Pulitzer Prize. There are tons of books on the American Civil War and having background knowledge makes whatever game you're playing more interesting. Crank up the Library card. There's good fiction and tons of good non-fiction. There are some good DVDs derived from some of the books too. (The Ken Burns Civil War DVDs are quite good. I think that having some understanding of what happened historically is quite useful.
Enjoy, enjoy !
Lou

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Once you decide and purchase a game and install it, be sure to then get and install the most recent patch/update for that game.
Old Dog / Lou

Talon_XbmcX

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the recommendations. I do find reading and studying up on the battles does enhance the experience. Just finished a book on Will Cushing that has sparked my interest in the ACW. I do own the Scourge of War series, but pushing counters is my first love.

Thanks again!

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a couple more series covering the Civil War that are appropriately popular: Shelby Foote's trilogy "The Civil War" is very readable and highly popular.
Also, The four volume "Battles and Leaders of the Civil War" is pretty impressive. It was accounts by participants of the various battles, published in 1887-1888. As I read that series, I had the impression that the accounts of some of the then Confederate Generals were effected by their then current occupations. General Gordon CSA was a member of Congress for example. General Lee did not participate.
I thought that "The 20th Maine" was very good as was Joshua Chamberlain's book. He won the CMH on Little Round Top while commanding the 20th Maine.
Enjoy !!