Opinions please

jpellam

Kamikaze Landing Gear
Reaction score
So if you're looking to help a newbie learn the game, and looking for
something else than tired old re-runs of Gavin Take, Totsugeki
or Puma Prowls, try out "Mala Zemlya", "No Step Back", "Storm
Over Mariupol" or "Surgis l'Enfer" instead.

I don't think even the most jaded veteran could help but try them out
with his new opponent. And you can even up the degree of complexity
to suit the experienced players.
I can see your point in some ways regarding old scenarios but I try to look at scenarios as books. By this I mean that there are scenarios that are very good and have aged well with time to become classics. Like books on your favorite books shelf in your office or library where you like to re-read them on occasion or recommend to a friend.

These old scenarios are still fun and there are many articles written about them which further helps you learn the game. It can then be a goal to learn the game from these old (text book) scenarios and then move on to the new stuff and believe me, there are more scenarios out there now then you can ever play in your life time. IMHO

Either way, as long as your playing ASL and enjoying it then nothing else matters.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another suggestion for infantry only teaching scenario which I use in preference is the very first Deluxe ASL scenario from Streets of Fire: Guryev's HQ. There are some core defensive and offensive techniques that can be taught very easily in the scenario: "Skulking" and Op Fire as well as smoke grenade usage.

P-J

For teaching infantry, several of the scenarios from 'Partisan' work well-especially due to the low FP of the units. Players learn maneuver a bit more readily.

Rgirish

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the MMP website is Jim Sahlers "8 Steps to ASL: A Programmed Instruction Approach". When started I used this to teach myself and members of the Eastern PA Geamers Association who had an interest in learning ASL. It proved to be effective.

The link is:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/ASL/articles.php
I can recommend this article as well. When I decided to get back into ASL after 10+ years, I was fortunate enough to find this article to help me out. It's as close to Programmed Instruction" as you are going to get.