Opinions on the NEW maps

ASLgrognard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had the opportunity now to see the new map formats in the starter kit, and critical hit's idea in Jatkosota. I'm likely going out on a limb here, but I'm not impressed by either format.

I also feel that the classic map format was inadequate for a number of reasons. First and foremost - wear and tear - they don't last - spines wear out, chipping, warping, etc. I think this point is moot though, as these (as far as MMP is concerned) seem to be going the way of the dinosaur.

I'd prefer to see the maps unmounted and laminated. Think of the possibilities here...You can spill things on them, write on them, take a batch of 60 to a convention without two suitcases.

I'm not sure what that would add to price for publisher, but I would much prefer that format. Other option would be unmounted maps, akin to what we see in the Historical modules.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLgrognard said:
I've had the opportunity now to see the new map formats in the starter kit,
I took a long look at these yesterday and came to the conclusion that they just don't feel very much like ASL mapboards. I guess I need to see some mix of wooden/stone buildings and walls/hedges to feel at home on a board. Of course, their primary purpose was for the ASLSK for which they probably work very well. But I don't see myself using the boards in a normal ASL scenario without overlays or something to jazz them up a bit.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't think they were bad. Nothing special, but standard fare like many of the boards. They do have lots of space between buildings to make you guess about LOS. I think many of the boards just don't allow you to get a feel without playing them.

As for mounting, different, but given the playing time on them they should last fine. I laminate unmounted boards for wear prevention. Most of my original boards are looking a bit worn, but the laminated ones will last a long long time. they also travel better - less weight and less space. They only problem I find is they do glare, which can be a problem.

Alan

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the Starter Kit maps are fine - and you can laminate them too. :)

I agree that the best maps are laminated. I have a complete set.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I prefer the old style mapsheets laminated. Not too impressed with the artwork on the new ASLSK maps, but will leave the final verdict on that as more of the new format come out.

You can laminate the new maps, but have to wonder if their increased rigidity will make them not last as long the more flexible mapsheets.

Bottom line to me is I can wish all I want but as long the ASL series continues to grow, I am happy.

Keith

ziceman

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Talking of laminating unmounted mapboards....

How do you guys go about laminating these? Do you cut each sheet in half and laminate each half seperately, or do you get them laminated whole somewhere?

I've laminated my ASLSK maps as two halves and I'd like a full set of the unmounted ones as well. That's got to be lighter than the mounted ones :) .

Thanks
Dave

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have all of mine laminated as full boards. Half boards should work as well, just label the board on the bottom so you remember which board it is on the half with no number.

I had them done professionally, used either 5 or 10 mil, I think 10 mil as I like them stiffer and the laminator felt the thinner lamination would curl more.

I had the RB and ATBF maps laminated as well, but used 5 mil so I could roll them and put in a tube for transport. My other HASL boards remain unlaminated for now.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As someone who has laminated two sets of boards, one full boards and one half boards, I greatly prefer the latter. They are easier to store, easier to use.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently had unmounted deluxe boards a-d laminated with a matte finish laminate. I was in no hurry so rather than accept the glossy finish at the first place (Kinkos) I checked, I shopped around. Eventually I found a place that offered matte and they did it for $20. They look great!

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you are talking about the new map style there is not much choice. Costs have to be contained since the usual ASL complaint is it is too expensive. The ASLSK does eliminate the the whining that there are "too many rules" or "Paratrooper is not a good introductory module." issue. Personally I am fine with them. Then again I still consider peanut butter sandwiches dinner fare.
As for the maps themselves I like map Y. Gives it the villa without going too strong. Map Z, well, I have yet to see a city map that works outside of Genesis '48 and RB. That's a limitation of the maps and hexes themselves.

JMO.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't master English perfectly. :(
When you speak about "laminating", do you mean covering the boards with transparent plastic?

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
I piddled around with the SK scenarios and maps this weekend for the first time. Generally speaking I like. If they keep costs down on future products, so much the better. I can't imagine they will be as durable as the mounted maps but only time will tell.

They do, however, lack a certain je ne sais quoi. Maybe it's the clip art builidings or maybe I'm just too much of an old has been. I don't know.

My only real complaint is they are just slicker than snot. Granted my manual dexterity is a bit lacking but I had counters squirting all over the place. I finally just decided to grant all troops the 1 MF downhill skiing bonus and they settled down a bit.

As a whole, I think the new card stock maps are fine. I hope when they get used outside of the starter kit context the terrain gets a little more imaginative though.

Jeff

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
As someone who has laminated two sets of boards, one full boards and one half boards, I greatly prefer the latter. They are easier to store, easier to use.
Would you cut the Deluxe unmounted boards in half too before you laminated them?

Stubinpsu

Reaction score
First name
Stuart
Country
llUnited States
Barber wrote:
They do, however, lack a certain je ne sais quoi. Maybe it's the clip art builidings or maybe I'm just too much of an old has been. I don't know.

I have to agree here, for example, Board z (which I think is the the city board) just dosen't have the same character as board 1 even though they both are city boards.
If you look at the two boards side by side, board z looks "vanilla" and the clipart buildings also detract from the look.

I think the Starter Kit as a whole is a solid product. I would have added an abbreviated ASOP along with a Support Weapon reference chart on the included QRDC akin to the MMC/SMC explanations.

Stu

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the new ASL SK maps. I am already considering them for future scenarios. They are a little bland but that is ok. I like vanilla. As for the building size, they are fine. As far as Iam concerned they are just more ASL board that I can use for scenarios and there is nothing that stimulates scenario design ideas like new boards.

Evan Sherry

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After doing a solitaire game of War of the Rats I have to say I like board z. Well at least the half the scenario is played on. There's an outskirts of town feel to it since most are one hex buildings. However there are a few multi hex ones and stuff gets drwan towards those. Like they are important or something :wink: Once they get covered in cardboard look becomes secondary. We are spoiled though when it comes to nice board artwork. You want to see barf? Check out the rogue versions of 9, 10 and 11 ? Man, talk about awful.