Operations Special Edition Mini-HASL

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The subject of the Operations Special Edition #1 mini-HASL is a one-day Campaign Game (with only 3 CG "dates") covering the battle at Singling, France, on December 6, 1944 between the US 4th Armored Division and the German 11.Panzer-Division.

The Americans have a very potent armor force and an excellent, but quite small, infantry force; the Germans are a mixed bag of infantry and armor, stiffened by Panthers, defending in a town comprised solely of stone buildings.

Two stand-alone scenarios are included, the first of which also serves as the initial CG-scenario. Depending on how well (or not) the Americans do they may get to purchase a limited amount of armor and infantry reinforcements. The Germans receive reinforcements as well but of a more random nature.

There is a simplified refit phase, intended to represent a much shorter break in the action than has been common with other CG refit phases, and the rules for the whole thing are less than 3 pages long. Victory is dependent upon the American capturing buildings and inflicting CVP before the day runs out. Each side gets artillery; there are no Night dates.

In short, the driving idea is for a much less labor-intensive campaign game that could be played on a weekend day or a few evenings. Or you can just play the stand-alone scenarios.

The map is approximately 17" x 25" and is done by Niko Eskubi, the artist who's done may of MMP's non-ASL games lately. I have attached a sample to give you an idea of the look...it's been mind-blowing to play ASL on a map like this one.

Operations Special Edition #1 will be released at the World Boardgaming Championships on August 11 and then will be available directly from MMP.

Last edited:

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope you print alot of these. If I don't get one, I'm coming to Baltimore with a vengance:devious:.

There should be a limit on how many a person can order of these, at first anyway. It could be bigger than Hanna Montana Tickets.

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The subject of the Operations Special Edition #1 mini-HASL is a one-day Campaign Game (with only 3 CG "dates") covering the battle at Singling, France, on December 6, 1944 between the US 4th Armored Division and the German 11.Panzer-Division.

[big snip].

The map is approximately 17" x 25" and is done by Niko Eskubi, the artist who's done may of MMP's non-ASL games lately. I have attached a sample to give you an idea of the look...it's been mind-blowing to play ASL on a map like this one.

Operations Special Edition #1 will be released at the World Boardgaming Championships on August 11 and then will be available directly from MMP.
Chas,
Very nice..... Since no P#---> Big question: When can we enter an order on the MMP site ...NOW :hail:? Will we be limited to just one or can we order two OSE#1?

Best regards,:salute:
John

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Looks very nice so far.
Will any other ASL content be included in the mag?

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Is this a full-rules ASL CG? If so, why is this content being thrown in "Operations" when it's perfectly good stuff for what has sounded like a boring J8? And you can only order this mag from MMP direct?

Sorry, guys, I just think an ASL Journal should be used for ASL periodical content.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is this a full-rules ASL CG? If so, why is this content being thrown in "Operations" when it's perfectly good stuff for what has sounded like a boring J8? And you can only order this mag from MMP direct?

Sorry, guys, I just think an ASL Journal should be used for ASL periodical content.

The flagship game line in their premiere Special Edition? Sounds like no-brainer to me, especially if the intent is to attempt to foster 'cross-pollination' between the players of their varying game lines.

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

So they should pull it from a mag you aren't interested in to put it in another mag you aren't interested in? :nuts:

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nope, this mini-CG would have made a boring J8 into a nice, little cool J8.

This "cross-pollination" theory for this magazine is bogus, be it MMP or anyone else publishing it. Why? Because it won't be available in your average local game shop for the curious casual browser to pick up. If I have to go to MMP mail order to order this thing to check out what ASL could be about, why not just order a SK1 in the first place? The SK1 won't cost much more at the end of the day once shipping is considered, and I'm actually receiving a true entry point to the ASL game system.

This magazine run will sell to expectations, but it won't cross-pollinate anything, IMO. It will just go to the hardcore player of their respective game(s).

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas,
Very nice..... Since no P#---> Big question: When can we enter an order on the MMP site ...NOW :hail:? Will we be limited to just one or can we order two OSE#1?
My understanding is that it will not go up for sale until August 11.

I have not yet heard if there will be a limit placed on the number a person can purchase.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Out of curiosity, has MMP ever done anything correctly in your opinion?

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So they should pull it from a mag you aren't interested in to put it in another mag you aren't interested in? :nuts:
Brilliant!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D2WqO0Q_zNKA&sa=X&oi=video_result&resnum=4&ct=thumbnail&usg=AFQjCNE0_LqhSJ94O7x1kXDGu9R6TfaKjA[/YOUTUBE]

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks very nice so far.
Will any other ASL content be included in the mag?
There is no other ASL content. There will be two Starter Kit scenarios, in addition to the Iwo Jima area game (called Rage Against the Marines) and several other goodies along with many articles.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
pward,

The SKs have been very good and the new ASLRB2 binder is an improved, very elegant design.

Now how about sticking to the thread topic (cheers and jeers of this new Ops release are fair game) and cutting the "Portal loves/hates MMP" crap? ;)

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Nope, this mini-CG would have made a boring J8 into a nice, little cool J8.

This "cross-pollination" theory for this magazine is bogus, be it MMP or anyone else publishing it. Why? Because it won't be available in your average local game shop for the curious casual browser to pick up. If I have to go to MMP mail order to order this thing to check out what ASL could be about, why not just order a SK1 in the first place? The SK1 won't cost much more at the end of the day once shipping is considered, and I'm actually receiving a true entry point to the ASL game system.

This magazine run will sell to expectations, but it won't cross-pollinate anything, IMO. It will just go to the hardcore player of their respective game(s).
The SE mag sounds boring to you except for the CG. Journal 8 sounds boring to you so they should add the CG to it. Makes perfect sense: put the CG in the mag you aren't interested in. :nuts:

IYAOYAS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

40 minutes? Dude, you're slacking.

I welcome this ASL crack and will be buying at least two.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My understanding is that it will not go up for sale until August 11.

I have not yet heard if there will be a limit placed on the number a person can purchase.
GREAT. :mad: I will on a flight to San Antonio all day without internet access!!

Anyone want to volunteer to buy me a couple of copies? Please private message me if you can. Thanks!

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pward,

The SKs have been very good and the new ASLRB2 binder is an improved, very elegant design.

Now how about sticking to the thread topic (cheers and jeers of this new Ops release are fair game) and cutting the "Portal loves/hates MMP" crap? ;)
Keep your own counsel. Don't take things off topic in the same thread where you then ask me to keep things on topic...

Stick to the topic of the release of Operations Special Edition, not MMPs decision to print ASL material in it... Since it likely has been typeset or even printed already, saying it should be moved to J8 is like asking for the sun to set at noon.

The OP (and thus the main topic) is the release, and availability of a new product. I see nothing in the OP about "should we include this stuff". Questions or comments about that release such as the limit and ordering methods are on topic. Questioning the location of the ASL content (which was likely decided some time ago) is clearly off topic trolling because it's highly unlikely to be changed.

ISTR a thread about this some time ago, maybe a month or two, where the mini-CG and SK scenarios were announced. That was the time to question the inclusion of the ASL content in the mostly non-ASL magazine. (It has published a few SK scenarios before IIRC.) I'm fairly certain that you did so then, so why are you regurgitating the same mess here when there is unlikely to be any way to change the content of the magazine at this late date?

You question MMP at (almost) every turn, I return the favor by questioning your repeated posts telling MMP how to do a better job (in your opinion). Not to mention your railing at OT posts when you have done so yourself countless times, and continue to do so.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, for an on topic post;

I like the map textures, the artwork is really good. (I don't agree with mind blowing, but better than most...)

Now I just gotta remember to order one or two ASAP on the 11th.