Operations Magazine - ASL/ASLSK stuff

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dudes, ASL is printed in the ASL Journal. Operations Mag is for the other games. Simple. If the only thing you are interested in is ASL don't buy Operations. Operations is $5. Operations fills the void that the General use to fill.
First of all, don't state the obvious. Everybody knows what is and what is not the current situation. The issue is whether or not that should continue to be the case. And Operations does not at all fill the void that the General used to fill. For example, the General routinely included ASL content and Operations does not.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They have enough trouble filling one Journal a year, how much harder would it be if they split ASL among two magazines? How much grief would they get from the non ASL and or Gamer's crowd they are trying to tap into? On the flip side how much grief would they get if they folded Operations and included non ASL in the Journals?
What gives you the idea that they have any trouble at all finding scenarios for the Journal? That is a product of your own imagination. There are hundreds of ASL scenarios printed every single year. Most designers would leap at the chance to have them be official scenarios and would love for there to be more venues available for official scenarios.

As for the rest, somehow we all managed to live with ASL content in The General. I think we could all manage to live with it in Operations. :rolleyes:

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
And that is precisely what is being objected to.
Not by me.

Makes sense to me that ASL stuff should go in the magazine that is devoted to ASL instead of the one devoted to MMP's other games. But then I'm not actively looking for ways to just throw more money at ASL - I actually want to get some value for my money. One scenario per issue of Operations doesn't qualify.

ScoobySnacks

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
What gives you the idea that they have any trouble at all finding scenarios for the Journal? That is a product of your own imagination. There are hundreds of ASL scenarios printed every single year. Most designers would leap at the chance to have them be official scenarios and would love for there to be more venues available for official scenarios.

Where did I say trouble finding scenario's for the Journal? it's nice you saw my post, but next time make the stretch to read the post.

You yourself have commented on the quality of Journal 7's content and there has been a difficulty in MMP producing one each year. They also have problems releasing 2-3 Operations on time each year (based on another apology in this most recent issue... 2nd in a row, and 4 pages smaller btw). You think adding ASL to Operations will help both publications get printed? You think the article quality will improve based on multiple magazines?
Why do you need ASL in everything, Operations is the non ASL magazine, just deal with it. ASL is not the center of the universe, we can live with a $5.00 magazine without ASL.

tekay44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This seems like a real non-issue, I knew going in that Operations was not focusing on ASL, I used to love the old Generals for just that reason. Sheesh, talk about a damned if you do, damned if you don't, situation for MMP.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You yourself have commented on the quality of Journal 7's content and there has been a difficulty in MMP producing one each year. They also have problems releasing 2-3 Operations on time each year (based on another apology in this most recent issue... 2nd in a row, and 4 pages smaller btw). You think adding ASL to Operations will help both publications get printed? You think the article quality will improve based on multiple magazines?
Why do you need ASL in everything, Operations is the non ASL magazine, just deal with it. ASL is not the center of the universe, we can live with a $5.00 magazine without ASL.
Here are apples, here are oranges. Notice how they are different. The article quality in the ASL Journal is pretty much irrelevant to including an ASL scenario in Operations. And the production issues of Operations are pretty much irrelevant to including an ASL scenario in them.

ASL is not the "non ASL magazine." It is MMP's house magazine. As such, it should include ASL. To quote you, just deal with it.

ScoobySnacks

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Here are apples, here are oranges. Notice how they are different. The article quality in the ASL Journal is pretty much irrelevant to including an ASL scenario in Operations. And the production issues of Operations are pretty much irrelevant to including an ASL scenario in them.

ASL is not the "non ASL magazine." It is MMP's house magazine. As such, it should include ASL. To quote you, just deal with it.
I'm not arguing scenario's additions, I stated overall ASL content. You keep trying to interject that into my posts then argue with me telling me my "arguement" (that does not really exist) does not make sense.:rolleyes:
Think BEFORE you type:surprise:

I find it rather refreshing that there is no ASL in it, what are you crying about 1 to 2 scenario's a year? Is ASL SO important that everything created for games has to be about ASL? I'm sure the gamer's, SK only and non ASL crowd would agree as well.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So what if it is their house magazine? Your earlier snide (and incorrect)remark about ASL being the only MMP game actually being played gave away your narrow minded views.

Bash away oh-so-cranky one.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So what if it is their house magazine? Your earlier snide (and incorrect)remark about ASL being the only MMP game actually being played gave away your narrow minded views.

Bash away oh-so-cranky one.
Narrow minded views? I probably have and play more different wargames than most people here. Unlike a lot of ASLers, I did not come into wargaming through ASL.

I have every issue of Operations since the very first issue, dude.

It wouldn't hurt MMP to acknowledge the existence of its most popular game in its own house magazine.

ScoobySnacks

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
WHY???

Is their anyone out there that associates MMP with any game other then ASL? MMP is ASL to a lot of people, and ASL promotes itself. It's the other games and lines of games MMP wants to highlight.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It wouldn't hurt MMP to acknowledge the existence of its most popular game in its own house magazine.
That is reasonably stated!:)

My personal feeling is that if there is one Journal (all ASL) and one Operations(no ASL) a year they have still well represented their 'most popular' game. It is not like people are browsing Ops at a newstand checking on the current state of MMP affairs. The Journal definately outweighs Operations!

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
WHY???

Is their anyone out there that associates MMP with any game other then ASL? MMP is ASL to a lot of people, and ASL promotes itself. It's the other games and lines of games MMP wants to highlight.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point...

Ops sold a lot (relatively of course) of copies during the Gamers days and has continued to be a resource for fans of the Gamers. I suspect the readership of Ops derives mostly from this but is now slowly adding the new MMP stuff (IGS, Area movement games etc.) and associated fans. i.e. Ops is evolving from a Gamers mag to a MMP mag.

Last edited:

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Pay attention. Did I refer to "any magazine-like-supplement" or did I refer to Operations. Take all the time you need.
Speaking of not paying attention to other's posts. :rolleyes:

Once again you have reminded us why you deserve the Miss Congeniality award.

MMP has made a smart decision by not putting ASL material in Operations -- we the consumer can get our ASL fix in one place with having the material scattered around in different publications.

Additionally, we don't have to hear from "The Gamers" audience *****ing about how much of that magazine ASL content takes.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP has made a smart decision by not putting ASL material in Operations --
No, they haven't.

we the consumer can get our ASL fix in one place with having the material scattered around in different publications.
That is like saying it is better to get one $100 bill than three $50 dollar bills. I guess you have the convenience of getting your fix in one place, but it is a smaller fix than it otherwise would be.