Operations Magazine - ASL/ASLSK stuff

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
Dear MMP,

I just got my Operations #50 and I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed that there is only one ASLSK scenario in it and nothing else related to ASL/ASLSK. It cost me about $14 US (icluding shipping) - that's a bit too steep for me for 1 ASLSK scenario. I understand that Operations magazine is not ASL magazine but still...if you decide to include some ASL related material please give us a bit more content. I'm not yelling and screaming here...just trying to offer constructive customer's feedback; Thank You!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Dude, the ASL Journal is intended for ASL content...

By the way, this isn't MMP's website and because of Portal, they don't read the forum. :devious:

ScoobySnacks

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Operations will only have one SK scenario per issue. It will not have any ASL content, it has had about one SK article every other issue (inclusing this most recent one).

It is intended for the MMP line of games, which includes the SK line but technically ASL is not an MMP game.

It is still Gamers heavy.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately, Operations is an MMP house magazine which is devoted to all of their games except the one that people actually play all the time. Inexplicably they have banned ASL content from it. Which is really bizarre because if they included even one ASL scenario in it, they would have hundreds of additional subscribers.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Unfortunately, Operations is an MMP house magazine which is devoted to all of their games except the one that people actually play all the time. Inexplicably they have banned ASL content from it. Which is really bizarre because if they included even one ASL scenario in it, they would have hundreds of additional subscribers.
In suspect that they want to keep away from putting too much ASL stuff in to keep the two product lines seerate.

cjsloki

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Dear MMP,

I just got my Operations #50 and I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed that there is only one ASLSK scenario in it and nothing else related to ASL/ASLSK. It cost me about $14 US (icluding shipping) - that's a bit too steep for me for 1 ASLSK scenario. I understand that Operations magazine is not ASL magazine but still...if you decide to include some ASL related material please give us a bit more content. I'm not yelling and screaming here...just trying to offer constructive customer's feedback; Thank You!
That is the reason I don't purchase the magazine and I probably would if it offered ASL content.

Charles

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I think the perceived danger may be in diluting the quality of scenario offerings; Pete can probably speak to the quality of scenarios as a whole in the Journals - would the quality drop if they started publishing more in not just APs and the Journal but also on a regular basis in Operations? Is it a legitimate concern? I think the quality of articles in the last Journal was subjected to much scrutiny and criticism.

tppytel

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which is really bizarre because if they included even one ASL scenario in it, they would have hundreds of additional subscribers.
It does seem a rather odd decision, doesn't it? Even though buying an issue of Ops for a single scenario is a terrible value, you know a decent number of people would do it. And I'd think it would help promote ASL also - SK players buying the mag for the SK scenario could get more interested in ASL by seeing an ASL scenario in each issue, whereas they might never otherwise buy an actual ASL product (which tend to be fairly expensive) on a whim.

Seems like a lot of bang for the buck out of a single magazine page and the development resources for four scenarios or so per year.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Dudes, ASL is printed in the ASL Journal. Operations Mag is for the other games. Simple. If the only thing you are interested in is ASL don't buy Operations. Operations is $5. Operations fills the void that the General use to fill. I buy Operations to see if the Other games MMP produces have sufficient interest to purchase/play.

Keep ASL in the ASL Journal.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the perceived danger may be in diluting the quality of scenario offerings; Pete can probably speak to the quality of scenarios as a whole in the Journals - would the quality drop if they started publishing more in not just APs and the Journal but also on a regular basis in Operations? Is it a legitimate concern? I think the quality of articles in the last Journal was subjected to much scrutiny and criticism.

I sometimes wonder about that. Not enough playtesters as it is now, IMO.

ScoobySnacks

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
They have enough trouble filling one Journal a year, how much harder would it be if they split ASL among two magazines? How much grief would they get from the non ASL and or Gamer's crowd they are trying to tap into? On the flip side how much grief would they get if they folded Operations and included non ASL in the Journals?

serpico

Reaction score
Dudes, ASL is printed in the ASL Journal. Operations Mag is for the other games. Simple. If the only thing you are interested in is ASL don't buy Operations. Operations is $5. Operations fills the void that the General use to fill. I buy Operations to see if the Other games MMP produces have sufficient interest to purchase/play.

Keep ASL in the ASL Journal.
"Operations fills the void that the General use to fill...."

How do you figure that? At least the General had an ASL scenario in it. Not all Operations mags are $5.....:surprise:

Paul :halo:

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
"Operations fills the void that the General use to fill...."

How do you figure that? At least the General had an ASL scenario in it. Not all Operations mags are $5.....:surprise:

Paul :halo:
Have you even read Operations? Have you ever read The General for that matter? Not every issue of The General had ASL content in it and after The Annual was released, the amount of ASL content dropped drammatically -- only the occasional scenario.

One of the reasons that this was done it that people that played other games than ASL had vocal opposition to all of the ASL content. The other is for the aforementioned reasons of dilution.

And if your only concern is ASL, including ASL content in another publication is not very helpful if it has such marginal ASL content.

If you use the Endless subscription option they ar $4.80 (+the usual taxes and shipping). Otherwise, they are $6 domestic and $8 foreign.

Maybe someone needs to stay in a Holiday Inn Express...;)

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Operations was originally published by The Gamers which is why it featured their games. When MMP began publishing The Gamers games, they also took over publishing operations. However, MMP expanded the game coverage to include all of their game lines except full ASL. There is a new ASLSK scenario in each issue and sometimes a SK related article.

MMP has stated numerous times that full ASL content will appear in the Journal and not Operations.

Chris

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
From my point of view, ASLSK articles and scenarios should be then part of the ASL Journal. It doesn't make sense for me to buy Operations magazine if it carries only one ASLSK scenario, it's too expensive if all I care about is the ASLSK related stuff. I'm just trying to politely speak up...that's all.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In suspect that they want to keep away from putting too much ASL stuff in to keep the two product lines seerate.
There's a big difference between "too much ASL stuff" and "any ASL stuff."