Operation Windsor - Carpiquet Airfield - HASL

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Wondering if there is anyone interested in co-designing a small HASL on this?

PM me if so.
Thanks!
the dudes on here ran a contest many years ago so if you can find that thread (it was way back when Don Maddox owned/ran the forum) maybe one of them would be interested. it's probably been moved I'd guess into the Designers Forum right here somewhere.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I found the scenarios in my ASL file. it was the Monkeys with Typewriters I - Battles of Carpiquet contest

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I found the scenarios in my ASL file. it was the Monkeys with Typewriters I - Battles of Carpiquet contest
Thanks for the notes Psycho. Checked GS archives - nada.

The battle for Capriquet has a lot of 'mini-HASL' potential. My idea: Small, historically accurate (as possible) 1/2 geo board OL, combined with other standard geoboards to make a series of scenarios that depict the 2-3 day fight for the town of Capriquet and the adjacent airfield. Submit to MMP for publication.
Nasty fight - 12th SS vs. Canadians.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The battle for Capriquet has a lot of 'mini-HASL' potential ... Nasty fight - 12th SS vs. Canadians.
Agreed. Plenty of good ASL potential.

Wikipedia: Operation Windsor

A 410mm naval guns bombardment, a 21 artillery regiment bombardment, a creeping barrage, armor attack into tank terrain covered by ATGs, MGs, mines and opposing armor, urban fighting in town, flamethrowers, Canadian MG support (British Empire tactics kinda used MG battalion plunging fires as artillery), rocket air support, German Nebelwerfers, artillery and mortars. British "funnies," Shermans, German Panthers. A German combined-arms counterattack.
The game could run to 9 July as Windsor was followed soon after by Charnwood

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is great, thanks Lluís! Good resource - MWT scenarios - a contest that challenged great designers to interpret a certain battle; in this case - Carpiquet. Cool.

Seems there are a lot of different aspects to this battle - for the town, for the airfields, the attacks and counterattacks for both. Very good material I think. Just needs a little boost in terms of having a decent looking airfield - larger than B14 and one that has a lot of rubble, debris, shellholes. We don't have anything in our board mix to properly represent this battle.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's also the Tactique's/Coastal Fortress rendition of an engagement there: TAC-7 Trap In Carpiquete that was offered on-line (I believe on Marc's site).
Thanks much for that one - looks nice.

My main interest isn't so much Carpiquet per se, as it is to prepare small 'HASL-geoboards (1/2 to full size)', along naturally with a series of scenarios using the geo-friendly terrain. IOW, to have a combination of such small HASL-geoboard OLs or full boards to mate with other as-is existing boards. Focus on small, tight, tourney sized actions. So, Carpiquet is really just a good excuse to do this - using a historical airfield OL that can be placed on an existing board (ie. 10 or 63), then butting other boards next to it to represent the town of Carpiquet.

There are countless ideas out there for this kind of application. I think MMP and other designers are going in this direction.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Mike for the confidence. Would like to work with you too sometime.
I've just finished the HASL 1/2 geoboard OL. It looks pretty good I think overall in terms of representing the airfield at Carpiquet - though it's not to historical scale - simply is a decent abstraction of the battlefield and works considerably better than B14 I think.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Mike for the confidence. Would like to work with you too sometime.
I've just finished the HASL 1/2 geoboard OL. It looks pretty good I think overall in terms of representing the airfield at Carpiquet - though it's not to historical scale - simply is a decent abstraction of the battlefield and works considerably better than B14 I think.
Can I see what you mean?

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Love the idea, and have a strong interest in the Normandy campaign - see adamlunney.com

Put this site into the wayback machine - the files should be available from there.
CMHQ reports are easy to read and though not all digitised, those numbered from 100 upwards should give you some good information.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/history_archives/engraph/cmhq_e.asp?cat=1

Happy to help with research and proofing - doing a lot of PT for another product at the moment though :)

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Thunderchief,

I tried to access this archive - no dice. Thanks for reaching out. To update:

I've prepared 2 new geoboards (both on VASL thanks to Tom R.). I've prepared 5 scenarios (4 tourney, 1 large). MMP expresses high interest. What I'm lacking is playtesters. While I have PT'd some of the smaller scenarios, those still need further PT along with the larger one. The scenarios are tight and intense - reflecting the actual conflict between the Canadians and SS. Great potential - just need more guys to jump in. Interested?