Operation Watchtower HASL map Edson's Ridge

morgan kane

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Playing a couple of scenario using the ER map.

I assume I have the first ed map (Rather funny green colour used for first lvl).

I have seen the Q&A:s in the Scott Romanowskis Collection of Q&A, but still confused,

V5 is that a Djungle hex or a cumulative Djungle/Kunai hex? Looking at the last sentence in B.1 it could be seen as a cumulative hex, but I guess that is not the intention.

MM8 is that first or ground level? The center dot definitely seems to be at the ground level. Looking at the VASL map it seems even more so.

MM15, JJ7, OO16 and OO13, the Crest line is not visible, at what level is the center dot?

Should I just use B10.1 and assume that the center dot in all those hexes are at the higher level?

JJ9 is a djungle hex even though the center dot is in open ground? Is that correct?

/Morgan

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
V5 is jungle with bypassable kunai hexsides, I'm guessing. In general the only combined terrains are woods/building, woods/gully, brush/gully & stream/(brush, orchard, woods). Everything else is "x with a dash of y" terrain. There was a recent PerrySez that ruled that hexes with jungle and a bit of bamboo (e.g. G18) should treat the bamboo depiction as jungle. In this that should not matter that much.

MM8, MM15, OO16 & OO13 are hard to decipher, but there are a couple ways you could go. You could roll for them before game start. You could roll for them the first time someone tries to enter (which would be the he-man way to go). You could compare with the vasl map, and where vasl is clear, take that as the answer, then fall back on one of the other methods where that fails. You could use B10.1 and say that all non-hill depiction is at the higher level. I think B10.1 may be the correct way rules-wise, but then there are other hexes (e.g. U15, R13) where that seems to produce the "wrong" answer. You may have to mix-and-match, using your best judgment as to what was intended.

I think JJ9 is jungle, so even though B.1 only mentions buildings, you could extend the principle to include it.

Overall I think that if you find the answer for most of these hexes matters a lot, some one is in bad shape in the CG. Any of the solutions above would probably not make a big difference.

JR

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
We're just about to start playing this one also. Oh boy, what a mess this map is. I mean, sure, it looks nice and all, but not very functional. That JJ9 is a great example. If it was meant to be Open Ground, just don't draw the Jungle so far inside the hex. And if it was meant to be Jungle, just make it more clear and draw it all the way there to the center dot. How hard can it be?

Ok, rant mode off, sorry...

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Oh, BTW, Morgan – did you come up with any good rules, for your game, how to determine what level/terrain each hex is?