Operation Typhoon pbem

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
End of day 8, 22nd of december

Finally some time to update the AAR. The turn rate has been slow the last weeks.

losses
Russian
men 224956
guns 1976
vehicle 1435
air 38

German

men 67100
guns 500
vehicles 802
planes 22

weather: Frozen, forcast 90% snow.

Reinforcements
The 268 inf rest at Mozhaysk and wait for further instructions.
The 253rd, 102nd, 251st, 206th inf around Skol"niki are being deployed near Kalinin
The 3rd PZ, Gross Deutschland, 17th Pz, 18th Pz, 95th inf and the 1st Cav are refitting near Tula and wait when the railroad has been captured.
The 29th mot is moving towards Tula.

North.

At Mednoye the progress is slow. Not only the Russian opposition, consisting of the 183rd, 174th, 162nd and 119th rfile div, but also the bad weather is taking a toll. The relocation of the forces near Skol' niki towards Kalinin takes far more then expected. All rail capacity is needed. This will delay the redeployment of the forces near Tula.

The advance towards Medoye.

At Kalinin the Russian forces probe our defenses.

The advance towards Solnechnogorsk was slow due to the weather and bad terrain. almost no opposition was met and the city was captured. Most forces in the erea are dispersed. Regrouping is nessecary.

Forces near Solnechnogorsk

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Centre

While the forces more north have captured Solnechnogorsk and are following the main plan and advance following the mainroad/railroad towards Moscow. Have the forces in the Devdovska area steadily pushed back the Russian forces. At Lytka the tired Russian forces, remnants of the 78th rifle, 19th rifle and 26th tank div, Are pressured by the 252nd and 87th inf and possibly trapped. The refitted en rested 7th Flieger div are trying to push their way past Vysoko and link up with the German forces advancing towards Dedovska.

Dedovsky area.

In the mean time the, ahead of schedule, the Das Reich mot div has been able to push towards Thusino using the riverbanks of the moskva. The advance was so fast that the supporting inf, 197th and 167th inf, for the northern flank weren't in position in time. Luckyly the Russian take advantage of this. Any advance will be difficult because the units destined to help the advance are still at Tula(see the main plan earlier). If the Das Reich advances to far the flanks will be exposed.

Advance towards Tushino.

A little more south the 7th, 292th inf and the Legion des voluntaires Francais try to keep up with the Das Reich div and advance slowly towards Kuntsevo. Because of the many assaults casualties are high.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Yes it is a major victory. But As Axis player you start already with a minor victory. The Russian must push back the German forces after they have lost steam and the winter conditions give them the advantage.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Centre part II

According to plan the 3rd mot, 20th PZ and 19th PZ div moved towards Lenino and Podol'sk. Podol'sk was captured without much resistance but then suddenly there was a Russian counterattack. The Russian 331st, 352nd and 348th Rifle div did a coordinated attack. Because the German forces were scattered and caught by surprised. With only 50% of the Tanks availlable the inf took most of the casualties.

After some fierce fighting the German forces retreated to form a defensive line and wait for the infantry divisions who were moving slowly because of Russian opposition near Khylnovo. The Russian 113th Rifle, 24th tank bde, 9th tank Bde and 5th Airborne were cornered but refused to surrender.

The 183rd inf, 137th inf and 263rd inf div fighting near Kylnovo.

A little more to the south near Lopasnya the 34th inf, 15th inf and the 17th inf div are trying to capture the city. Movement is slow as the Russian opposition stiffens. Capturing the city is essential so the railroad from Tula cab be used to ship troops.

Last edited:

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Southern front

The goal of the advance was to capture the railroad leading towards Podol'sk. Several division now refitting and resting at Tula will be transported by rail towards Moscow.
at first the advance went well but the bad weather and Russian resistance wore down the troops consisting of the 31st, 56th, 131st, 134th and 293rd infanterie divisions. The 31st inf div, for example, lost almost 35% of its men.

Advance near Sheblova to capture the railroad.

Laptovo was captured and most of the railroad was clear of russian fighters.
But because of the losses it was decided to sent the 4th PZ and the 25th mot division to assist the attack and make sure the progress would continue.

The 4th Pz and 25th mot div assisting the 32st inf div.

Conclusion:

In the north the relocation of the troops towards Kalinin is slow due to the weather. On average 1 km p/h. The progress is slow but promising.
Because Solnechnogorsk was captured the first step of securing the railroad from Kalinin to the centre front has been taken. With some luck the troops who captured Solnechnogorsk can continue towards Skhodnya. Thereby encircling all the troops in the area.
In the centre the progress of the Das Reich was a surprise. But because there was no support to cover the flanks for now the advance was stalled. Hopefully the troops at Tula can start moving by rail soon to support the attack.
The Russian counterattack near Lenino was a surprise and the 19th and 20th Pz were hammered but were able to withdraw and wait for inf reinforcements coming soon.
In the south the important rail was captured but some parts were damaged by the Russian. This will slow down the movement. The first units will start using the railroad the next day.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I think that there is a restriction here at the forums hwo large a picture can be. I use photobucket to upload my screenshots and then create a link in my post.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
End of day 13, 27nd of november

I small jump in time. The weather has been very bad, consisting of frozen conditions and storm. The advance has been limited, going at max 1 hex a turn.
Shifting forces by train wasn't going very well due to partisan activity and blown up railsways. So railmovement over long distances has been cancelled. This is a setback for the froces located at Tula who were ordered to go to Moscow. Only the 17th Pz and Gross Deutschland will be relocated to Moscow. The forces are currently near Mozhaysk after 5 days of travel by train. It will give you an idea how slow movement is at the moment.

losses
Russian
men 304772
guns 2783
vehicle 1637
air 40

German

men 90169
guns 680
vehicles 1004
planes 24

weather: Frozen, forcast 30% storm.

Reinforcements and troop movements
The 268 inf rest at Mozhaysk and wait for further instructions.
The 17th PZ and Gross Deutschland are relocating from Tula to Moscow by rail. They have been traveling four days now and are expected to arrive in two days. Due to the long relocation time it was decided not to move any more troops from Tula to Moscow.
95th inf, 260th inf and 3rd Pz are moving from Tula to Serphukov.
The 29th mot div is moving From Tula to Anishino.

North

The 102nd inf, 206th inf 256th inf and the 251st inf are movind towards Kalinin on the northern bank of the river Volga. At the same time the 36th Mot inf, 161st inf and the 110th inf are defending Kalinin and the southern banks of the river Volga. MOre to the south are the 162nd inf and 1st PZ located .
The 251st and 253rd inf div are marching as fast as they towards Kalinin to strenghten the city and if possible to launch an attack to encircle the russian troops around Kalikino.

In the area near Meldino we have encountered the first Russian troops for some day. 379th rifle div and some ski battalions have surprised the two inf divs, 35th and 82nd.

Some miles to the south the city of Vasnevo has been captured. Nu russian opposition has been seen in the area. The next city will be Dmitrov. An important railway and major road city.

Last edited:

mfl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I think it is well past time for me (the opponent) to give a report.

Unfortunately, the laptop I was using and recorded some of the early pictures of the battle, has crashed so no pictures---rather just an opportunity to answer some questions.

1) Yes, my the Axis player is likely more skilled than I am. This was my first full Moscow campaign and I have learned a thing or two. Brickie is very skilled, and I suspect better than I.

2) During the early campaign the Max. forces of the Germans took a terrible toll. His airforce was also a pretty big factor, as well. The worst part as I think some guessed was the reality that the Axis could move wherever they wanted, and much of the Soviet force was fixed. Best efforts were given to try not to have vast areas surrounded, as many forces were in the trees, and couldn't leave quickly has the axis push the roads.

---
My stategy has gone through many stages

Early on as mentioned, it was just a matter of trying not to have too many troops surrounded/issolated, and taken out. Much of the time this involved retreating with units in the trees, and trying to salvage some sort of a road defense. I also early on took the attitude that the Russians have more men, I can try to engage the axis with fire and when it seemed I wasn't too badly outnumbered. Say up in the Kalin area. Not sure this was a wise idea, as German firepower had its advantages. Still, I hope I atleast slowed him a bit.

I, however had the general strategy however, of trying to keep the Axis in front of me while retreating one or two hexes per turn, and hope for the rare occasions when I could site a gun with an attack by artillery or air. That didn't happen often, but when tanks came to the front line I did try hard to punish them, sometimes even with melee--I felt this an effective stategy, as to me they were the most dangerous of his many weapons. I attepted stronger resistance once and a while where cities presented the opportunity. (In one city I thought I had a pretty fair chance, he had to cross a river, and I had one of the rare areas of having a good number of troops in the area. I attempted to exchange fire, and rotate troops to the rear as they became fatigued. This strategy seemed to draw some of his forces away and occupy things, but ultimately he finally sent them to melee in the city, resulting in huge Russian losses as the stacking behind the lines, as units exchanged caused failed retreats. That was the last of the strong defenses.

I do tend to have an offensive side, and the first opportunity for this was when Brickie landed his airtroops. I saw and opportunity to surround and brought out some defenses from Moscow, and the units on the front line had some chance of retreating back towards the paratroops and helping the Moscow forces surround. It seemed to come pretty close, and I felt like I had him on some edge for a good amount of time, but in the end he prevented most of the surround. I expected that atleast would take his airborne out of the mix for a good while, but it is clear it didn't as they have appeared at Moscow's gates.

I also took the opportunity to see if I could do something in Tula. I brought the gaurds down hoping to catch my opponent by surprise. It had some chance of success, but the weather changed right as the counter-attack was about to be lauched, and the Axis sliced even the gaurd units playing a defensive role instead without much effort. I sort of expect this miscalculation was in part from the fact that given the extra forces he got from this particular variant, The area around Tula was even stronger than it normally would be. I had expected to be able to hold Tula with the addition of the gaurds, and protect some of the flanks with the guards, as mentioned it failed and the city fell. I also figured that the drawing of forces to the Tula area would provide the bonus of keeping forces from the center, where the battle ultimately would or would not be won. A well prepared postion like this I figured could hold out for a bit, but I was mistaken.

At the time the rotation of the city failed, I decided keeping my opponent in front wasn't going to do the task, so I shifted.

When things looked grim, rather than scramble for the roads--infantry which was likely to get catured anyway would run to the center of large forest. The idea was that it would give me some needed time as the Axis would give chase. My lines were swiss cheese and were in need of alternate strategy. I also took the oppoturnity to send a few units behind his lines to blow bridges and take out railroads. I had been doing this routinely during the retreat (but not behind the lines), but I hoped that it would again either do damage to his rail, and reinforcing the area, or send forces away from the front. I also found I could do some damage when the weather turned with assaults, which to a degree seem to be a Soviet hope, to atleast make some defense possible, as Brickie was great at slicing like butter through units, then retreating them into one another, and issolating the whole stack.

As of recent, I have taken the view that Moscow is the only real defense (almost all other areas are pretty weak, or taken). It has a large area of stong defenses, and should be costly to attack. I have recently been fortunate that the weather hasn't destroyed any possibility to defense, but I'm not sure how long I can count on such luck.

Gamewise, I given the point difference, I would be very surprised if the Soviets can even turn back the offensive, much less get any thing less than an Axis victory. But I am looking forward to seeing what the reinforcements look like. I intend to play until they are generally recieved, lose Moscow completely, or go beyond the 50,000 Victory point level.

I will check back to attempt to answer any question.

Mike

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Centre:

Everything revolves around the battle for Moscow. After the capture of Solnechnogorsk the forces in that area split.
The 14th Mot div moving towards Dmitrov.
The 6th Pz div moving towards Yakroma.
The 106th inf div and the 7th Pz movinf towards Iksha.
The goal is to capture the bridges to prevent any reinforcements from attacking the Northern flank.
The other div's, 10Th Pz, 2nd Pz, 28th inf, 87th inf,23rd inf and the 7th Flieger div are moving towards Moscow to help the push to Babushkin.

At the gates of Moscow the battle continues. Progress is slow due to the weather and Russian resistance. Losses are high and fatique is rising.

In the North the Das reich div is gainign dome foothold in the city. But is unable to move any more forwards.
In the middle the 292th inf, 7th inf and 258th inf are holding the bridges and river banks. So they will not be surprised by an change of weather. In the south the first elements of teh 19th Pz and 3rd mot div are arriving at the front.

More the south of Moscow, near Lenino(see picture below), the 19th PZ and 3rd mot div are moving towards Moscow while the 1st Cav div and the 183rd inf div are taking up position at the river banks to protect the flanks.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
The South

In the south there are two remaining battles. One is near the city of Serphukov. Here some russian unist are located near the river banks of the Oka river. Due to the sudden thaw some Russian units are trapped with their backs against the Oka river.

The 26th, 56th and 243rd inf, with help of the 3rd Pz and 18th Pz who were railing by, try to trap en encircle the Russian units.

The other battle is near the city of Venev. Several Russian troosp were sighted in this area. Because only the 167th inf and 112nd inf were in the area several reinforcement were transfered to help out and capture the city.

The 29th mot div, 10th mot div and the 31st inf are moving in from the north to surround the city

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Last and final update.

The battle is over. We have played a couple of turns after the last report. My opponent and i agreed that the Russian position is beyond salvage and to move on to another battle. We decided to switch roles so i can get to play with the Russian forces and MFL with the German forces. I'am curious what that will be.

Thanks for reading this AAR and if you have any remarks or suggestions you welcome to sent a pm or add to this post.

Regards,

Pieter

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was a good AAR. I bought the game because of it!Thanks for posting it.

jjdenver

Recruit
Reaction score
So what's your opinion on variants that should be used? I guess the one that adds German forces shouldn't be used for PBEM?

Also what was the next battle? Was it the reverse of this game or some other scenario/game?