vehicles 795
planes 16

German
men 33528
guns 248
vehicles 448
planes 12

weather:Soft conditions.
This is an unexpected change of weather. The forecast was 90% chance of snow condition with a 40% chance of a storm. Only a 10% chance of soft condition. This will pose some problems. Units will have to be checked if they are located on the wrong sides of rivers and mobile units who could end up in marshes. But this gives also a big advantage, no penalty when firing and assaulting.
The 20% frozen penalty is realy a pain. Besides snow with a storm would have meant a total stop of all offensives along the frontline.

Reinforcements:
The 56th inf is resting and refitting at Luydinov and will be deployed later.
The 8th and 28th inf are not sent anymore to Strashovic but towards Pokrovskoye.
The 268 inf rest at Mozhaysk and wait for further instructions.
The 95th and 293rd inf are moving towards Tula
The legion des Voluntaires Francais moves towards Kubinka.

South: Tula

Slowly but surely the troops take up their designated positions for an attack on the well defended fortrest city Tula. With the capture of Anishino and barsuki there is only one major road left for supplies to reach Tula.
If Malakhova can be captured the city is isolated and no reinforcements can reach the city and the siege can begin. A setback is that there are at least 2 guard units, the 5th and 7th, located near Tulu/Barsuki.
Also the lack of any opposition when capturing Anishino is worrying because it is unexpected. But for now we will stick to the plan. I estimate that it will take 3 days to isolate Tula.
With the coming arrival of the 95th and 293rd inf at Tula there should be enough forces to siege the city and cover the flanks for a possible counter attack.
The goal of capturing Tula within a week already proves way to optimistic. My new estimate is that it will take at least till november the 25th depending on the weather and Russian surprises.

Centre:
It was my goal to capture Kresty, Kubinka and Istra.
Altough we have captured Sobatino, Kresty proved to be to far for now. Positive was the unexpected crossing at Ol'kheva. But there were a lot of losses to accomplish this. For now we will still try and capture Kresty and move towards Lopasnya.
I realize this is a long road considering the Russian opposition but it is important to capture any main roads in the area. From Lopasnya we have several options to continue our attack.

Naro-Fominsk wasn't high on the list of priorities but we were lucky to capture the city. For now we will continue to follow the mainroads leading from Naro-Fominsk to Moscow.

The plan to capture Kubinka was a succes. A pocket was created and Kubinka was captured in three days. The question: what's next is easy. Continue the advance following the main road towards Golitsnoye.

The 267th inf div will be assigned from the Kubinka area to support the 5th Pz div along with the 78th inf div to continue to advance along the river Moskva

The airdrop at Istra was a small disaster. Not only did we have to give up the city of Istra after some initial succes but the airborne forces and the forces trying to reach them took a heavy toll in casualties. we underestimated the possibilty to reach the airborne forces, also due to heavy Russian resistance.
This will hamper any further attack in the area. The troops need to rest and reinforced with fresh troops before any offensive can take place.
That it was not a complete disaster is because a lot of Russian forces were tied up in the fighting and we were able to encircle several Russian divisions. For now we will rest and reinforce the troops. Then we will try and capture Istra again.
The 8th and 28th inf div first destined for Strahovich are sent to Pokrovskoye to support the 2nd and 10th Pz div.

North:

After breaching the Russian frontline we are on the move towards Novozavidovskiy. After some initial skirmishes we have two major spearheads, one towards Novozavidovskiy and one towards Klin. What to do when we capture these cities is uncertain. We could move towards Kalinin or towards Solnechnogorsk and reinforce those troops. A difficult choice.

The battered troops at Kalinin are rested and refitted. Surprisingly there was no Russian attack. I'am unsure who to proceed now. Go on the offensive or not.

At Strashovich we were able, after arriving of reinforcements to start an small offensive. This was very succesfull. we were able to reach Davydovo. The next week we will try of create a pocket around Skol'niki and at the same time move towards Galki and beyond. Hopefully we can clear the area of Russain forces. I won't sent more reinforcements because of the low priority and it is far away from Moscow, our main goal.
It will be small steps at a time.

What to do next.......
As described above some choices how to continue are obvious, or at least seem obvious. But even this early in the campaign i'am wondering if i make/have made the right choices.
In the south i could continue to try and capture Tula but i wonder if it isn't better to reassign the divisions for a more direct appraoch towards Moscow. One could argue that Tula is far away from Moscow and if Moscow is the main price the forces could be used differently?
At Ol'kheva i ask myself if continuing to attack is worth while. There is no main prize in the area other then a mainroad leading from Kresty towards Moscow. But already i have captured Kubinka, Naro-Fominsk and to a lesser extent Karinskoye, which also serve as railroad and road junction.
Capturing the bridges at Novozavidovskiy will reduce the frontline and secures a fast way to travel between the north Kalinin and the centre of the map. But what to do afterwards? Move towards Klin or move towards Karachary to force the Russians to commit forces to that area?
In the north is reducing the lenght of the frontline an obvious choice. If the frontline can be reduced from Kalinin to the end of the map a lot of inf div will become availlable elsewhere.
There is one real problem if you want to redeploy your forces. It takes a lot of time because there is only limited rail capacity and driving or marching takes days.
Choices enough but which will lead to the best results? Mayby you as an interested reader has an opinion on how to proceed? It would nice to have a discussion on this. So don't hesitate and react by posting or by email.
Thanks.

Last edited:

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Day 4
Souther front Tula:

Due to the good weather the 25th mot, 10th mot and 4th Pz div were able to reach the outskirts of TUla from the north and link up with 31st inf div and 1st kavallarie div at Baydaki. This formed the outer line of the encirclement, to meet any counterattack.
A second line was formed at Gorelki sealing the city. In the afternoon the first attacks on the city began. Altough the city was surrounded the Russian forces showed no sigh of supply problems. Apparently the were well stocked.
First the troops outside the city of Tula were isolated and captured. Then the advance towards Tula continued, the 1ste kavallarie div from Barsuki, The 25th, 10thm mot and 4th pz from Muza, the 3rd and 18th Pz from Glushanskiye, Gross Deutschland from Novotul'skiy and the 17th Pz from Mikhailkovo.
The assault on the city started at sundown and is still going on.
Some Russian recon forces were spotted near Kirlinka but no attempt to break the siege of Tula was made. Also the Russian forces near Novoya don' withdrew before any fight could start. The 167th and 112nd inf are covering the flank in the north.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Central Front: Ol'kheva.

Trying to capture Kresty and Breaking the stalemate we tried to advance Kresty from Yoranova and Alekseyevka. Slowly advancing the Russians have the option of trying to keep the line and the risk of getting encircled or withdraw from Kresty and save the Russian forces in the area. Altough the progress was slow the two forces slowly pushed the Russian aside.
Hopefully during day 5 the forces will meet and the Russian forces trapped.

Naro-Fominsk:

The 3rd mot and 20th Pz keep moving along the main road leading from Naro_Fominsk to ultimately Moscow. Pushing the Russian forces back. Progress is slow. Rassudova is reached at sundown.

Kubinka:

after Kubinka was captured the forces moved towardsGolitsnoye. Altough the Russian opposition i slight the progress is slow due to the terrain of which the Russian defender takes good advantage of. During the night Golitsnoye is captured..
The 267th inf div is trasferred towrads Chilkova to aid the 78th inf and 5th Pz.

Karinskoye:

Not much progress is made, the 5th pz is mainly resting the battered troops while the 78th inf takes up new positions and regroups. At the end of the day the first units of the 267th inf arrive. The Russian forces in the area are digging in so not much action takes place.

Istra:

After the bloody fight the last day it seems to quit down a bit. Some small russian attack were made but they were lackluster and easily repelled. The troops dig in and wait for reinforcements to arrive.
Istra is still far away.

North Novozavidovsky:

with arrival of the 8th and 28th inf div a new offensive is started at Fedorovskyi. The Russian forces are pushed back in the densely forested area. At the same time the 35th inf pushes towards Kuk'lino while the 11th Pz and 106th inf move towards Mar'ino.
At night the forces meet and encircle the Russian forces in the area consisting of the 126th and 316th inf div's.
More to the north the 6th, 7th Pz and the 14th mot div move towards Klin. Near Klin the first Russian resistance is met. It seems that the Russain decided to defend Klin.

At Novozavidovskyi the first bridge is captured. It seems that the Russian forces defending the bridges withdrew during the night.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Kalinin:
http:

At Kalinin all is quit.

Strashovich:

Davydovo is captured, Galki is captured, the bridges across the Osuga are captured. By doing this a pocket is created west of Davydovo. During the day the troops are rested and regroup. Only some small advances are made towards Pechki and Kostino.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Start of day 5, 19th of the december.

Losses
Russian
men 128855
guns 1054
vehicles 911
planes 23

German
men 42334
guns 296
vehicles 536
planes 16

weather:Snow conditions
The good weather couldn't last and it started snowing again. But we made good progress due to the good weather.

Reinforcements:
The 56th inf is resting and refitting at Luydinov and will be deployed later.
The 8th and 28th inf are not sent anymore to Strashovic but towards Pokrovskoye.
The 95th and 293rd inf are moving towards Tula

South: Tula
Due to the good weather the troops were able to travel fast and succeeded in laying a siege around Tula. Heavy fighting is taking place. But because we don't expect any Russian attempts to counter attack towards the city, we are confident it will fall this day of the next.
Also there isn't much Russian activity in the area. We will assume for now that or there not much Russian forces left or they withdrew and are digging to prvent any rapid advance towards MOscow.
At the moment around Tula we have the largest concentration of forces, 25th, 10th mot, 3rd, 4th, 17th, 18th PZ, Gross Deutschland, 1st kavallerie div, 31st, 45th, 95th, 112th, 167th, 293rd inf div.

Centre:
The advance towards Kresty is slow but more promising. With luck we can encircle the the Russian troops defending Kresty. Untill then no further progress will be made in that area.

The advance along the main road from Naro_Fominsk. Selyatino is reached while a little more to the north the troops reached Golitsnoye. Hopefully we can reach Zhavoronki end the end of the day. We will be able to see the outskirts of Moscow.

The 267th inf has arrrived to strenghten the 78th and 5th Pz with there advance along the Moskva river.

The front near Istra has stabalized. The 5th inf div is on it's way and 252nd inf will also move more towards Istra. The Flieger div can then rest and refit.

North:
We will start closing on the troops Sol'Niki. Then these troops will be redeployed near Kalinin. After that has happened we will go on the offensive again.

Unfortunately nobody found the time to react to my question what to do next. I will have to plane the next step myself :)

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Day 5
Southern front Tula

The battle for Tula was a bloody battle where numerous assualts on the one hand drove the Russian forces back but on the other hand were costly men and fatique wise.
Especially the Grossdeutschland and 3rd Pz will need a lot of time to rest and refit. They will have the time because Tula has fallen and the troops can rest for some time.
At the end of the day the 293rd, 45th and 134th inf are arriving at the frontline by train near Malakova. These units will start a small offensive towards Laptevo.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Central front: Kresty

We succeded in bypassing Kresty and isloating the Russain units defending the city. After the several assaults the city was captured. The rest of the day the troops, who were
spread out almost in the whole area, to regroup and rest during the night.

Odintsovo

Odintsovo was reached at the end of the day by the Das Reich div and Peredel'tsy by the 3rd mot div. Light Russian resistance was met. There they rested and waited for the other troops to catch up.
It looks like Moscow is almost in reach.

Aksin'ino

Some small headway was made and Aksin'ino along the Moskva was captured. Thanks to the 267th inf which reinforced the 78th inf.
Also the 197th inf is redeployed towards Aksin'ino.

Istra

The 7th flieger div dug in and waited for reinforcements. Only some small artillery fire distured the quit frontline.

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could you please tell us what optional rules you are using for this game?

Jim Wirth

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
We are using:

-Low visibility air effects
-Artillery setup
-VST
-Night fatique
-programmed weather
-Limited air recon.

These are, i think, the default optional rules.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Northern front: Popovka

North of Istra the forces reached Popovka, pushing the Russian forces back.

Klin

The 14th mot and 6th and 7th Pz div reached Klin. The 64th Russian cav which defended Klin was outnumbered and during the day they were forced back and later surrounded.
At Novozavidovskyi both bridges were captured by the 86th inf. No Russian forces were encoutered in the area.

Kalinin

At Gorodnya we discovered some Russian units who were trapped on the wrong site of the river. This was a lucky find. The Russian units were engaged and captured.
Otherwise not much happened at Kalinin. Due to the long rest and refit the units at Kalinin are almost at full strenght again.

Skol'niki

The Russian units that are hiding in the area at Skol'niki are scouted for and engaged. It will take untill the following day before the complete area has been cleaned of Russian units.

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I asked about the optional rules because given the weather and the generally poor terrain I'm surprised by the amount of encirclements you are achieving. Due you subscribe this to poor play on the Russian player's part or a deliberate strategy to trade units for time hoping the weather will close in on you before you can reach Moscow?

Jim Wirth

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I cannot speak for my opponent what his strategy is.
What i noticed is that my opponent tries to be agressive and does not withdraw easily. My goal was to destroy as many Russian units in the opening stages hence i try to encircle as many as i can. So the Russian agressiveness is in my favour including the reasonable weather sofar.
For example the battle for Tula. I concentrated my forces to make a move south-east from the Tula so i could encircle the city. I broke through the lines and destoyed the Russian forces in the area. Then i continued to move troops almost unopposed around to city so could encircle it. The Russian player had the option either to withdraw or stay and fight for Tula. I thought that only a skeleton force would be there to defend Tula. But my opponent had choosen to reinforce the city with Russian guard units. Most of those troops would have able to fight another day if they had retreated or blocked my initial advance. Of course that is easy to say in hindsight.
The result/drawback of my tactic is that most of my troops are in the red from continues fighting and assaulting and need to rest or are already resting.

jaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's always hard to accept retreat, especially if you occupy prepared positions. Your success so far has made me skeptical of your opponent's strategy so I'm following your AAR with great interest. Thank you for taking the time to share this fascinating game with us.

Jim Wirth

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Start of day 6, 20th of the december.

Losses
Russian

men 166518
guns 1432
vehicles 1091
planes 28

German
men 48468
guns 339
vehicles 602
planes 16

Weather: Snow conditions
The weather is starting to get colder. According to our meteorologist the temperatures will get lower soon.

Reinforcements:
The 56th inf is moving towards Gurova.
The 95th and 293rd inf are moving towards Malakhova.

Goal Moscow:
After some deliberation a draft plan for the capture of Moscow has been drawn up.
In short there will be two pincers, one from the North of Moscow and one from the south of Moscow to encircle the city.
So we can prevent any reinforcements reaching the city.
The northern pincer will follow the river Moskva towards Tushino, the first goal, then around Khimki towards Babuskin, then onwards to Balashikh were the two pincer will meet.
The southern pincer will start at Podolski toward Lenino, Kosino and finally Balishikha.
Of course for these two pincers to have any chance the flanks most be covered and there should be a good railroad
connection the Southern and northern frontlines.
In the south and centre we have to secure the railroad leading from Tula to Podolski.
In the north from Kalinin towards Kubinka. That way we can transport our troops faster and support the two pincers.

South:
Now Tula has fallen and the troops are resting and reorganizing 3 fresh inf divs will start with an attack towards Nenashava.
Later, if rested the 4th PZ, 25th mot, 10th mot and 31st inf will start the main advance towards Laptevo.
the 56th and 131st inf div will start their advance also towards Nenasheva.
The other divisions will either be transported to Serpukhov to form the first pincer(1st kavalerie, 17th Pz, 3rd Pz, Gross Deutschland)
or will hold the frontlines, 167th, 112nd, 95th.

Centre:
The 20th Pz and 3rd mot will move from their current position, Peredel'tsy towards Poldol'sk.
The 258th inf will hold the frontline. At the same time the troops now located at Kresty will start their advance towards Lopasnya.
Later the two forces will meet.
The Das Reich, 197th inf will cross the Moskva and form the first pincer with the 267th inf, 78th inf and 5th Pz.
The 7th inf will hold the frontline including the Legion des Volentaires France.
The 7th Flieger, 252nd inf, 87th inf will advance towards Istra.
10th and 2nd Pz will be redeployed and added to the second Pincer.

North:
At Klin the 11th Pz, 106th inf, 7th Pz, 14th mot and 35th inf will move towards Solnechnogorsk securing the railroad and
linking up with the forces moving towards Istra.
The 23rd, 8th will clear the area from Popovka till the railroad between Solnechnogorsk and Istra.
The 86th inf will hold the major bridges near Causeway.
When the Skol'niki pocket is cleared the inf div will be transported to Kalinin. These division will releave the 900 mot, 36th and 1st PZ. These division will be added to the second pincer as reserves.

I have made a map of the current frontline including the location of all divisions and attack plans, if i didn't forget one:D. The map is big, 4,5 Mb, so i won't/can't post it here directly. Also photobucket doesn't allow such larges files.
If anyone has an idea how i can make this file available to those who are interested please let me know.

Last edited:

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Day 6
Southern front: Tula

After concentrating 5 infantery divisions(the 293rd, 45th, 134th, 131st and 31st) near Malakhova the advance was continued. The first Russian units were engaged.

Near Tula the other battered units are rested and refitted for net next few days and will relocate or join the advance as described in the battle plan.

Last edited:

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Central front: Kresty

The infantery divisions near Kresty have begun to move towards Podol'sk and Lopasnya. For now only a glimps of Russian units were seen. The advance is carefull but slow because we now there must be a lot of Russian troops in the area that we were unable to destroy.

Odintsovo

The troops arrive at Odintsovo. We have to wait untill the infantery takes up their defensive positions before we can begin to move the Pz and mot divisions.

Aksin'ino

The 197th inf div has arrived and will take up positions towards Kazenki. The Das Reich will follow the river bank of the Moskva river.

Istra

The 7th Flieger with support of the 87th and 252nd inf div have started to advance towards Istra. The 5th inf div is still on its way to help capture Istra.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Northern front: Tiliktina

At Tiliktina a fight broke out over the city were Russian forces who wanted to withdraw were isolated. The Russian forces aren't expected to hold out for long as they have fought for some days now and must be tired.

Klin

After the forces have gathered at Klin they begin to move towards Solnechnogorsk. The 11th Pz engaged some russian mobile forces near Otrada while the 7th Pz moved along a paralel road without opposition. The 14th mot div was assigned to defend Klin and cover the flank.

More north near Zavidovo the 86th inf met the 18th mnt Cav div in the woods.

Kalinin

Some Russian forces were probing our defenses at Kalinin but still no major attack. In the meantime the troops dig in and lay minefields as we still expect an attack at or near the city.

Skol'niki

The last remnants of the Russian opposition is being taken captive. Then the inf div's can be deployed at Kalinin.

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Start of day 7, 21th of the december.

Losses
Russian
men 184265
guns 1592
vehicles 1203
planes 34

German
men 52943
guns 347
vehicles 617
planes 19

Weather: Froozen conditions
The conditions are harsh as the temperatures dropped far below zero.

Reinforcements:
The 253rd, 102nd, 251st, 206th inf around Skol"niki will be deployed near Kalinin

South:

The 31st, 293rd, 56th, 131st and 45th inf have started there advance towards Nenashava.
The Russian 7th Guards, the 258th inf and the 31st Cav div are opposing the advance.

Centre:
The 34th, 17th and 15th inf have started moving towards Lopasnya, for now no opposition has been encountered.
The 263rd and 137th inf has started their walk towards Poldol'sk. No Russian forces are sighted.

The 20th Pz and 3rd mot started to move from their current position, Peredel'tsy towards Poldol'sk.

Das reich mot div have broken up their camp and started moving towards Kulchugo at the froozen river banks of the Moskva river. The 197th inf has taken up position to cover their flanks.

The 7th Flieger, now rested and reequipped, ahs strated moving to recapture Istra with the help of the 5th Pz, 5th and 87th inf.

North:

The 11th Pz, 106th inf, 7th Pz, 14th mot and 35th inf have started to move towards Solnechnogorsk. Sofar no opposition is met. The whole erea around klin seemed to be devout of any Russian troops.
The 14th mot will digin at Klin and the 86th inf, currently destroying the isolated 18th mounted cav, will move towardsKarachary and digin their.
Kalinin again enjoyed a quit night.

At Krestishino the 255th and 256th inf make slow progress.
All train capacity has been sent to Skol'niki to transport the troops to Kalinin. This means that the rail capacity will be later availlable for the troops now resting at Tula.
This in turn will delay the relocation of the troops at Tula and thus the advance towards Moscow.

Genaral remarks:
The German forces at the start of the battle counted:

men 276092
guns 5004
vehicles 1659
planes 586

After 6 days of battle the total troop count is, despite the losses:

men 282696
guns 6100
vehicles 1644
planes 584

This means that a lot of units were able to rest and refit. And altough i haven't counted them not many total unit losses have occured.

FastPhil

Reaction score
It's always hard to accept retreat, especially if you occupy prepared positions. Your success so far has made me skeptical of your opponent's strategy so I'm following your AAR with great interest. Thank you for taking the time to share this fascinating game with us.

Jim Wirth
Sorry for the lateness of this reply but I just read this. One thing neither of you seem to have considered (or I might have missed it) in this is that the Russian may have no choice in the matter. Many of his units may still be fixed. What you are considering as his 'aggressive' play may be his 'inability' to play (retreat). I've been on both sides of this in the games and eaten and been eaten many times with fixed units. Many scenarios use fixed units to limit our after the fact knowledge and ability to respond. Bulge is a good example. How many American units (the 106 ID and 14 CG come to mind) would we immediately start withdrawing to more defensible positions with our knowledge that these are not 'local attacks. JMHO:)

brickie

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Good point Phil. I have played the Russians in the campaign once and could´t recall if i had a lot of trouble with fixed units.

I just checked the fixed Russian units and all troops at or near the frontline are released at noon the second day with a 60/65% chance. Also most units will be released on turn one because of LOS.

In the south i advanced towards Tula from the south. The Russian 413th inf starts fixed but because of LOS they should have been released on turn one. I can see them indeed trying to retreat(see my first day describtion). The troops defending Tula itself are about half fixed, fixed scheduled for release at noon the second day and the troops around Tula are not fixed, including the troops at Kashira.

Another front was at Olkheva. All Russian troosp in this area, including Sobatino are not fixed.
The Russian 1st guard at Naro/Fominsk is fixed but because of LOS should have been released on turn one. The battle for this city was much later.
The troops around Dorokovho are not fixed except for the 32th inf(rease day 2 at noon). Troops near Kubinka are released on turn 2. The 32th inf is interesting because i did encounter some units from turn one on but still during day 2 they did not seem to have retreated. Mayby not all units were released in time to withdraw.

Then i attacked at karinskoye and Safanikho. Here the Russian 144th and 78th inf are fixed untill noon the second day. The 50th inf is not fixed. The 78th should have been released when they were attacked on day one. Most of the 144th was only encountered on day 2. So the majority of the units could still be fixed while they were attacked and therefore unable to retreat in time.

All troops north of Safanikho are not fixed untill we reach the 107th inf near Maksimovo. They are scheduled for release also at noon the second day. The battle against the 107th started during the second day. So probably also they were not released in time to withdraw.
The motorcycle regiment more north should have been released after LOS. Indeed they did move during day 2.

Last frontline was at Strasovich. Here all frontline troops are fixed and should have been released by LOS. The 186th and 179th inf did not have LOS and should have been scheduled for release(65%) on day 2 at noon. I reached Davydova at the end of day 4. My opponent whould have been very unlucky if those troops weren´t released after 2,5 days to escape. But it happens.

I cannot be 100% sure, only my opponent can, but it looks like that the 107th, 144th, 32th inf were indeed captured because they were fixed.