Operation Turnscrew (Dennis Brothers)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we are going to switch over to Neil's house for Operation Turnscrew. The maps I got printed turned out awesome, she used a thicker paper and laminated them for $19 each!

I stopped by his house this past Saturday and we did the Rubble rolls.

I will be taking on the British and struggling to think how I get on board!

My rolls for rubble were very interesting, I think of the first 40? rolls I rolled almost nothing over a 7!

When we reached south central Rees the rolls started to climb a bit but it seems like we don't have much rubble given the odds. The steeple has some interesting LOS with this rubble layout for sure.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking forward to this, your ongoing Dinant commentary was great. This looks like a great opportunity to use the rubble overlays under a sheet of plexiglass even with the laminated map.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't like putting things under the plexi because it makes close LOS hard to do

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then maybe the rubble overlays with some removable tape or blue tack?

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we are set up and ready to go on this one. Should go a lot quicker than Dinant we are hoping. Troop density is a lot lower and initially no vehicles. As the German, I'm terrified of losing the post office and the Bahnhof on the first CG scenario. I've put a lot of guys up there (and a lot of FPP), but so has Steve. I put a line of Known Mines in the British jump off rowhouses (K8-H9), He will just try to clear them with the 10-2/Hero combo, but even if it only stalls him a turn or two, I think its a win for pretty minimal FPP outlay. Don't know if this is the "standard" thing other players have done or not. All that he sees initially as far as fortifications; is a wire in L5 and a roadblock (although it maybe shouldn't be on board but I was too lazy to string the LOS) in Q5-P4.

He's entering one little stack of two counters in the south; that's all. I'm assuming he is holding back some troops so I can't completely abandon the south to reinforce the north battle of the Post Office.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we got in 2 turns in between watching Michigan advance to the sweet 16 Monday. Steve should post pictures but Steve has yet to break a single german unit. I've killed 2.5 squads and a 7-0. via mines and booby traps. The mines up front to stall him has so far been very successful.

Last edited:

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So here are the mine rolls so far: 3,4,11,2 all with 6AP!!!! the 3 and 2 are 1.5 of the dead already.
Isn't advancing into 6 AP mines supposed to be passable?

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK pictures of the beginning of Turn 3 British. We've done smoke and OBA, and probably all the prep fire I need.

Lets start in the North. My front line got out of the cemetary and pushed into one massive mine field that covers the front buildings and than bends to the North edge.
2 OBA smoke missions are here for one more turn. I'll need more smoke to get past this line anywhere. Trying to flank it on both ends now. all 3 mtrs are out of smoke now.
I found only two dummy minefields and just missed the first clearance in I9 by 1, more clearance attempts on Turn 3 for sure. I think I know about 8 minefields for sure and suspect 2 more still hidden, that would be like 60 pts of mines in this front belt for sure.
The bigger stack in the graveyard entered and is slowly making its way up to the front.

Moving to the Southwest:
Not much happening here, he shifted a bit, I forgot to enter my followup guys on the river edge, there is another small stack entering here on T3 and we have an SR down for next turn smoke to maybe jump across the road there, no mines in the point hex at least :)

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you guys using the German sniper SMC(1-8-8) counters??

Rob
Yeah, he's seen one of them and it pinned a guy but missed the 9-1. He's in the north somewhere around the Post Office waiting for him to get into the rubble pile on the other side of the wire.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, he's seen one of them and it pinned a guy but missed the 9-1. He's in the north somewhere around the Post Office waiting for him to get into the rubble pile on the other side of the wire.
I really liked the sniper rule that Tom put into this. Very cool and a good reflection of how they worked.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really liked the sniper rule that Tom put into this. Very cool and a good reflection of how they worked.
Gave me an excuse to pull out my old Squad Leader box to use the 1-8-8 counters that have been sitting unused for 25 years.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
What is the rule? Very much a fan of the SL Sniper, not so much the ASL version. ASL version misnamed, should have been Random Battlefield Occurrences or some such name. Old argument but still valid.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the rule? Very much a fan of the SL Sniper, not so much the ASL version. ASL version misnamed, should have been Random Battlefield Occurrences or some such name. Old argument but still valid.
Basically any hex they can see (with restrictions) inside 8 range they can make a sniper roll with the usual outcomes, 1 or 2 has an effect. They are hard to shoot at (always concealed) and always start HIP.