Operation : Schmidt

CrosleyPup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry if this was mentioned before, but reading in 5.2 Temporary Breach on page BFP 3 towards the end it mentions:
...subject to Bog as per 7.3, but...
Would that actually be Q7.3 or is it somewhere else?
[Edit - Just read the next paragraph 5.3, looks like it is there too.]

Love everything I've seen so far, can't wait to play it.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The convention for rules cross references is a simple number refers to the same chapter, Eg a reference in Chapter A to something in Chapter C would be done as "C12.34" while the same section referred from within Chapter C could be done as "12.34" (or as "C12.34").

However BFP might have their own convention.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry if this was mentioned before, but reading in 5.2 Temporary Breach on page BFP 3 towards the end it mentions:
...subject to Bog as per 7.3, but...
Would that actually be Q7.3 or is it somewhere else?
[Edit - Just read the next paragraph 5.3, looks like it is there too.]

Love everything I've seen so far, can't wait to play it.
That's a typo. It should have referenced 5.3.

CrosleyPup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like there is another minor type in the Historical Battle Rules page. On BFP2, item 22, Interrogation in the title is spelled wrong.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like there is another minor type in the Historical Battle Rules page. On BFP2, item 22, Interrogation in the title is spelled wrong.
What, you mean 'interoggation' isn't how it's spelled ;-). Good catch. I'll put a note out on it in the errata thread.

CrosleyPup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, but I've got another question. In the CG, in 13.3093 Hidden Fortifications, the last sentence says ....minefield counter as per 7.1 to reveal.... Which 7.1 do you mean?

Thanks.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is P7.1 which is the Known Minefields section defined in KGP. A better reference would be to B28.45. As applied it is simply stating that, "the owner places the desired number of these counters onboard (with the strength-side down). Once the strength of such a counter has been revealed, it is flipped over."

Last edited:

samwat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would also be generally in favor of matte maps. I have not yet laid my hands on OS (LFT does not yet carry it...), so I can't specifically judge the OS maps yet. But in general, glossy maps in my personal experience tend to be more prone to glare, which tends to be of more consequence for large HASL game-play and to be thinner, this latter observation might somewhat random based on glossy maps that I happen to own. Personally, I also prefer the haptic feel of matte over glossy. A (very) minor factor: I think that counters on matte paper shift a tad less compared to glossy paper if you accidentally bump against the table.

von Marwitz
I agree on both counts. Although maybe glossy can survive liquid spills better. (Of course, maybe I shouldn't be spilling liquid.) I do like the matte look _a lot_ more than glossy.

samwat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My advice is to never refold HASL maps after you carefully do the initial unfolding. I have two pieces of plywood that I put all my OCS and ASL HASL maps between. Then I gently clamp the edges so that they flatten over time.
Smart! But how thick is the map layer?!!!

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Smart! But how thick is the map layer?!!!
I have never flattened a HASL map (OK, maybe just once!), just as I have NEVER punched, kicked, gouged, folded, spindled, or mutilated a single counter from BFP.

That's what VASL is for

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree.

If BFP printed and sold OS maps with the errata on them fixed, and on thicker, matte stock, I would buy them.

I agree. Like the product except for the map quality. My maps are already beginning to fray/tear. Would love thicker, non glossy card stock in the future like the typical MMP HASL (e.g. Budapest).

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
With mine there are quite noticeable white lines along the creases where the ink and paper formed a more rigid "crust" that lifted rather than folded. I suspect that though there may still be a problem with matte printing, the glossy inks make a more rigid, less flexible layer.

I too would also buy replacement matte maps without hesitation. I'm a little reluctant to unfold them until they are needed. Even if matte was not the panacea, they would be on hand spares, so I would be less afraid of wear and tear.

Misterhawk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Objective: Schmidt maps are definitely problematic. I hope some sort of fix is in the works. Like Paul, I'd be happy to buy matte editions and hope that BF doesn't use whatever printer or process it was that yielded this result.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've managed to copy mine onto A3 paper and laminated them. I'll use these as a 'player copy' and keep the originals safely folded. It's a shame that this has taken the 'gloss' off a really good module!

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I've played the first couple of scenarios using the O:S map and didn't notice any wear issues. Certainly nothing like the Kreta map. YMMV.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While I criticised the OS maps due to the top layer ink cracking, I have subsequently found one physical feature of those maps that I do like. That is that there are large overlap areas between the maps. While it may reduce the need for using two map sheets for some scenarios to just using a single, the large overlaps seem to reduce the tendency for them to separate/misalign when not firmly taped down, the simple shared weight stabilising them.

Edit: Maybe a little static cling and temporary, spotty vacuum helps?

Last edited:

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would buy upgrades also.

With mine there are quite noticeable white lines along the creases where the ink and paper formed a more rigid "crust" that lifted rather than folded. I suspect that though there may still be a problem with matte printing, the glossy inks make a more rigid, less flexible layer.

I too would also buy replacement matte maps without hesitation. I'm a little reluctant to unfold them until they are needed. Even if matte was not the panacea, they would be on hand spares, so I would be less afraid of wear and tear.

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
Hello guys,
I wanted to ask whether there any new units or other counters included? Or are these all duplicates?
Thanks!