Operation : Schmidt

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I used to set up a card table in the living room and play SL, COI, COD and G.I. each night I got off work. Used to put on old shows like Combat and watch and play at the same time. Multi-tasking. This was about 1982-83. I have been into the game ever since, and even still after AH/MMP made it the most confusing wargame ever created. Threw in a little Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader in the mix from time to time. Ah, memory lane.
I think I was doing the same thing, right around the same time (somewhere between '79 and '85 :waiting:). In fact...
Next you're going to tell me that Rat Patrol isn't realistic!! :D
I'll always recall when a member of "the Patrol" blew up (Kaboom!) some German tank by throwing a wooden barrel at its turret - ridiculous! :rofl: Unfortunately, I was playing SL at the time!... the memory may be totally apocryphal!! Regardless of whether it ever happened, it will remain the signature image I have of that show.

Ahem...so in conclusion: Yes, "Operation : Schmidt"

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought it was terribly inaccurate when it was first aired sort of like 12 O'clock High.
First.....it was meant to be entertaining, not enlightening. It was a TV show, not a training film. Second, they actually used some retired US Army military advisors for the show.....basic tactics etc. The cast actually went through a two month "boot camp" before the first show so they would have the basic stuff down pat. They always had available the staff from the local US Army base in SoCal (Ft. Ord???? I'm not up on my forts available at any time they needed. Third....it was not Kowalski (whoever that is) that got wounded the most. That honor probably would go to Pvt. Kirby, or Pvt. Littlejohn, or even the ol' Sarge himself, Saunders. Heck, even Doc got hit a couple of times. One thing that always bugged me....how come all the German tanks were US M24's and the German halftracks were all US M3A1's? They coulda at least put some plywood and plaster on them to make them look more like the German vehicles....oh well, it was mid-1960's network TV.
Now, 12 O'Clock High....that had beaucoup obvious errors in it....still, for a TV adaptation of a decent movie, it was still fun to watch. Sure beat the heck out of "Peyton Place"......:)

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First.....it was meant to be entertaining, not enlightening. It was a TV show, not a training film. Second, they actually used some retired US Army military advisors for the show.....basic tactics etc. The cast actually went through a two month "boot camp" before the first show so they would have the basic stuff down pat. They always had available the staff from the local US Army base in SoCal (Ft. Ord???? I'm not up on my forts available at any time they needed. Third....it was not Kowalski (whoever that is) that got wounded the most. That honor probably would go to Pvt. Kirby, or Pvt. Littlejohn, or even the ol' Sarge himself, Saunders. Heck, even Doc got hit a couple of times. One thing that always bugged me....how come all the German tanks were US M24's and the German halftracks were all US M3A1's? They coulda at least put some plywood and plaster on them to make them look more like the German vehicles....oh well, it was mid-1960's network TV.
Now, 12 O'Clock High....that had beaucoup obvious errors in it....still, for a TV adaptation of a decent movie, it was still fun to watch. Sure beat the heck out of "Peyton Place"......:)
Budget restraints no doubt. At least the Krauts spoke german. :)

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any word on where OS is in development? I think the last information said late this year.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any word on where OS is in development? I think the last information said late this year.
Counters have been sent to the counter printers for generation of drafts. We've sent rules and map drafts to our primary printer and am making adjustments based on their feedback. Figuring out the size of the print run and production price. Any day now we should be opening the site to pre-pub orders.

vetsurg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Counters have been sent to the counter printers for generation of drafts. We've sent rules and map drafts to our primary printer and am making adjustments based on their feedback. Figuring out the size of the print run and production price. Any day now we should be opening the site to pre-pub orders.

Sweet!

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Budget restraints no doubt. At least the Krauts spoke german. :)
That was actually a decision made by the producers to add another level of realism to the show. I always thought it was brilliant of them to do that. Made "Combat" stand out from the other WWII shows of the day.
Sorry for the late reply.....been busy playtesting and stuff.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent. Budget is being revised to accommodate...

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is pay pal the only way to order directly from BFP?

Or am I gonna get this from Gamers Armory.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's the issue with PayPal? I'm sure they'd take a check or money order if you want to send one in.

cschneider3

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is pay pal the only way to order directly from BFP?

Or am I gonna get this from Gamers Armory.
Once you get to Pay Pal's website, they give you the option to pay as a "guest" using your credit card rather than using a Pay pal account.