Operation : Schmidt

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[/QUOTE]However, I wonder if there should be an optional cooperation rule to simulate the problems between nationalities.[/QUOTE]

ASL already addresses this issue to some extent with A10.7, and it's not an optional rule.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I actually like the color differentiation of the various national forces. It gives a feeling of countries working together. However, I wonder if there should be an optional cooperation rule to simulate the problems between nationalities.
Isn't this what the Allied Troops rules are for? Nothing prevents a scenario designer from invoking this rule for different parts of a single nationality OoB - though it would be a bit uneasy to implement unless one uses variant counters.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Isn't this what the Allied Troops rules are for? Nothing prevents a scenario designer from invoking this rule for different parts of a single nationality OoB - though it would be a bit uneasy to implement unless one uses variant counters.
What got me to thinking about this were the rules for radioless AFVs. However, after giving it some more thought it would probably be too much of a pain in the ass unless a specific situation dictated friction between the allies in question.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I consider myself, not an old time player, but a lucky one to bump into the original Squad Leader game while in highschool. I just kept getting set after set. So I am lucky enough to have all the core modules and then some. It is a quite expensive hobby to keep up with, expecially with a family to support. I don't buy like I used to, but only when I can. Some things are destine to be mine, like Korea: The Forgotton War. My 2 cents

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I consider myself, not an old time player, but a lucky one to bump into the original Squad Leader game while in highschool. I just kept getting set after set. So I am lucky enough to have all the core modules and then some. It is a quite expensive hobby to keep up with, expecially with a family to support. I don't buy like I used to, but only when I can. Some things are destine to be mine, like Korea: The Forgotton War. My 2 cents
Same here. I still have my original SL box.

What a fine mistake my mom made buying that for me for Christmas....

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Same here. I still have my original SL box.

What a fine mistake my mom made buying that for me for Christmas....
I used to set up a card table in the living room and play SL, COI, COD and G.I. each night I got off work. Used to put on old shows like Combat and watch and play at the same time. Multi-tasking. This was about 1982-83. I have been into the game ever since, and even still after AH/MMP made it the most confusing wargame ever created. Threw in a little Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader in the mix from time to time. Ah, memory lane.

buser333

Reaction score
I used to set up a card table in the living room and play SL, COI, COD and G.I. each night I got off work. Used to put on old shows like Combat and watch and play at the same time. Multi-tasking. This was about 1982-83. I have been into the game ever since, and even still after AH/MMP made it the most confusing wargame ever created. Threw in a little Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader in the mix from time to time. Ah, memory lane.
I just recently discovered that fine show "Combat" as it was just a bit before my time. It feels like watching an ASL reenactment.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just recently discovered that fine show "Combat" as it was just a bit before my time. It feels like watching an ASL reenactment.
It was about 5 or 6 guys winning the war for the US. I actually bought all 5 seasons on disc about 10 years ago. That show never gets old.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my defense I was in high school at the time and felt historical inaccuracy was a terrible offense. I was a teenager what can I say. :)
As an aside, when I was an instructor at the WI Military Academy, I used to use 12 O-Clock High as an instructional tool for command complications in my OCS classes. Later I would use Blackhawk Down in many OCS/NCO courses as well (still a great study).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As an aside, when I was an instructor at the WI Military Academy, I used to use 12 O-Clock High as an instructional tool for command complications in my OCS classes.
There was a 12 O'Clock High TV series in addition to the 1949 movie. I will take a wild guess and say that was what the poster was referring to rather than the movie.

JR